PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Indy The Patriots' Biggest Threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Colts at #3 Seed the Preference

I hear ya. Balt has not impressed me (nor have I thought they were not good). They barely took out Houston a few weeks back too. But they have won 7 out of their last 8....so I gave them a pass for several weak performances.

BAL is solid. The are 3-3 vs playoff teams and all their losses have been close. They are a tough out no question.

The Patriots respect every team they face.

They do not, however, fear any team.

These New England Patriots will be playing in this Super Bowl, and will win it.

Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow! :cool:

I used to buy into this but not any more. Colts lost 4 of their last 7 at the end of 2006 and still won the SB.

Nothing is 100%, there is always an exception to the rule (sometimes for than just one). KC could go all the way, it is possible. But overall if you are playing better in December than you were in November (and in November you were better than in October), that's the team that is 'likely' not the optimum opponent.

Nothing is 100%, there is always an exception to the rule (sometimes for than just one). KC could go all the way, it is possible. But overall if you are playing better in December than you were in November (and in November you were better than in October), that's the team that is 'likely' not the optimum opponent.

Agreed. Certainly you want to play your best ball going into the playoffs. My belief is that if you have what it takes to be a champion, you'll win anyway.

Last edited:

Can someone explain to me why the Ravens are dangerous? That offense has under achieved all season, and you can throw all over their defense.

I couldn't be happier if the Colts win the 3rd seed, cos Manning is the only guy i fear, and I still think we'd beat them

Plus this team is gonna be sooooo pumped up if it's the Ravens... no chance we lose that game.

I agree, this team right now is 10 times better than that attitude-less, Welker-less team that laid down for the Ravens in Foxboro last year. Completely different football teams. The motivation that Pats would have to beat the ever-living piss out of that football team based on how they laughed at us last year will be off the charts. We will steam roll that team, I have no worries at all, none at all about them coming to Foxboro. I would welcome it with open arms, them or the Chiefs. Joe Flacco ? What more needs to be said ?

Today worked out perfectly

Last edited:

This assumes INDY wins v. TENN.

Pats would: (1) Avoid Indy until AFC Title game (if we win our Divisional round game); (2) We don't mind if Jets upset Indy, thus NYJ would be our next opponent; (3) Baltimore and KC both looked shaky today, therefore there is a possibility Ravens could lose at KC next week- whereby we avoid a dangerous Ravens team as our first playoff opponent for the second year in row.

You are wise, my friend. Despite what people say, any favorable matchup helps. I was rooting for KC (for Oakland's draft slot) until a light bulb went off and I realized an Oakland win would really help us.

Coming into this weekend, we had all figured 3. KC, 4. IND 5. BAL., 6. NYJ. We can universally agree that it would be advantageous to avoid Indianapolis and Baltimore in the AFCDG. Under that scenario, we were potentially stuck playing one of those two teams while the Steelers lucked out with the Chiefs. To recap, Indy and Baltimore have good quarterbacks, have proven playoff experience, and can win on the road. KC has none of those.

Now, the seedings are much more favorable for us. First of all, we cannot play Indy in the second round. So, it's either the Jets, Ravens, or Chiefs. We will only have to play the Ravens if both the Colts and Ravens win, and neither of those are gimmies.

Scenarios: Jets beat Colts (the golden situation), Colts beat Jets (now Pittsburgh has to ante up for their loss to us.

If the Colts beat the Jets, we play the winner of KC and Baltimore. The one thing that makes KC tough is their home advantage (although it wasn't there today.) I think the Chiefs will win, giving us a much easier matchup than the Steelers (against Colts.) Regardless, even if we do play the Ravens, at least the Steelers won't luck out as usual, as they'll have to play the Colts rather than the Chiefs.

Hope that wasn't too complicated, but bottom line: the playoff seeding corrected some probably injustice today.

Your uneducated opinion is worth a heck of a lot more than my uneducated opinion ;)

And yeah, Atlanta won the first match-up, but that was a bit of luck with Hartley missing an easy kick in OT. They match up well and the games are close but both teams could easily have swept the series with one or two breaks.

What is going on with the Saints OL anyways? It's the same group as last year, and Brees was great against the blitz, but this year they have definitely struggled at times.

Green Bay is very good, I agree. But I think you guys can beat them, especially at your place which is the only time you'd face them. And the Saints defense looks pretty solid this year too, especially compared to last season. Your D is in the top 10 in points and yards which is pretty good. The offensive turnovers are becoming an issue though.

As for the Bears, you guys might suck in the cold, but the good news is so do they :D Plus they're coached by idiots. You'll find a way to win this or they'll find a way to choke.

What are your thoughts on the Eagles? Could be your first opponent.

Well, at the beginning of the year payton was experimenting with a new kind of OL configuration. He would put LT and RT on one side, load the right with only a G on the left, and etc.. he was clearly playing around. I think they got confused,lol. Our OL was ranked #22 up until week 7 when we were 4-3. Brees was hurt and our run game stalled because we lost TP and Bush. He switch it back to normal and the OL is ranked #5 now, but it caused some confusion I think. S.Payton does this kind of stuff, we have seen him out play himself on a couple of occasions. I think the muscle memory of the OL is not completely set yet. So, they are missing some blitzes and making errors you wold not usually see, at least thats my take on it.

GB is really good, and strangely enough, we want to play them. I think anyone could win that game, but it would be a good one.

Brees , I think, got in to a bad rhythm. I call it the farve effect. He was hurt and the OL wasn't doing well so he started to try and force things to happen. He needs to settle down and protect the ball.

Eagles are a great team, not amazing, or the unstoppable offense the media seems to think they are. The giants lit them up, before they completely blew it. Vick seems to struggle for 3 qrts then makes highlight reels in 1 qtr.
The Eagles defense is not very good. I think any decent offense can exploit their secondary, and they have very little pass rush. Vick still hasn't learned how to secure the ball. If you noticed, he always runs with it in one hand far from his body. This is how we used to beat him. Blitz from L or R, not the middle and run a LB or FS vertical to his movement. make the DL shift like they were covering a sweep play. Strip..strip..strip.

The Eagles offense is heavily reliant on vick making a big play with his feet. Personally I think the best player on that team is McCoy, hes a very good RB. The vikings and GB showed what a good DL with a decent secondary can do to vick.

The way I see it GB will beat the Eagles, and we better beat the NFC west team or Ill be embarrassed,lol

That means we play the Bears. I never thought of it that way,lolol, ya I guess they suck in the cold also,lol.
We have unfinished business there anyways:)
GB with play the Falcons, who I think they will beat this time. The Falcons are just not a better team yet.
If all goes according to plan, it will be Packers vs Saints in the Dome:)

That game will be decided on how much we pay the officials:) Like we did for the Vikings game

They are because the Refs always give them huge yards on bogus PI calls if they are behind.

Honestly, the seeding situation makes them the opponent the Patriots are least likely to see so not much point in prognosticating. There is no way this match up happens in the divisional round, and wondering beyond that means looking past the more immediate opponent and assuming the Steelers completely poop the bed and do not win a single playoff game.

Best rivalry in sports, and another AFC Title clash would be great, but it is assuming way too much at this point.

....I think we would beat them, but the Ravens are the worst matchup for us in the NFL right now.

I agree, NFL opponents order: 1. Balt 2. N.O. 3. G.B. 4. Indy 5. NYG (out of playoffs)

They are because the Refs always give them huge yards on bogus PI calls if they are behind.

I'm trying to think of the most damning insult possible here -- when you complain about how there's a referee conspiracy to give some other team's great quarterback PI calls, you sound 100% like a Jets fan.

Here's some good intel from a Colt's fan's perspective about their team. Nobody knows a team better than their fans. I found this posted on ganggreen.

"...QB - Manning is having a down year, and despite playing behind a horrible O-line, overcoming injuries by playing with street-free agents on offense and bad WR play, he is making horrible decisions, making poor throws, not trusting his protection and seeing ghosts out there. Many of his INTs have been his fault (not counting ones that result from miscommunication with his receivers) and after a year where he led 7 4th Q comebacks he has 0 for this season and for all intents and purposes, having a "down year" - but when you still get the #3 seed with all the adversity this team has faced, that says alot for how great Peyton Manning is.

Problem is, in years past, Colts lost one or two pieces on offense and Manning kept them rolling but he can only cover up for short-comings of talent on offense so far before the camel's back breaks ...not having Collie, Clark and Gonzalez is really hurting this team (see section on WRs) and forcing Manning to work to the strengths of who's on the roster ..which I'm not sure what it is. It's bull**** that Manning can make ANY receiver off the street look like a HoF-er ...he can exploit talent but end of the day, just because you sprinkle sugar on dog**** doesn't change the fact it's crap.

You can tell he's been frustrated this year and has had to force it into tight windows / make contested throws all year. Best way to beat Manning in my opinion is to play man-coverage and blitz - make his receivers beat you ..you play zone and 3-man rush he'll find the soft spot and kill you with death by a thousand cuts.

However, on any given day, Manning can snap out of his funk, make unbelievable plays and remind you why he is the greatest QB of this decade - problem is, those moments are mixed in with poor decisions and throws this year. If it's worth anything, he seems to have Rex's number throughout his career and hasn't lost to a Rex D since 2001. Best way to beat Manning aside from man-coverage is to take away his greatest strength, which is his ability to make pre-snap reads by playing amoeba defense and having your D audible into the "real" alignment just before the play-clock winds down to take advantage of Manning's tendency to let the clock drain before he gets a play-off.

WRs - horrible ...Reggie Wayne making it to the Pro Bowl was a joke and more a life-time achievement award than based on his play this season. Despite a career high in receptions, he struggles against man-coverage and doesn't get open deep anymore and is really a glorified posession receiver at this point and leads the team in drops.

Garcon, despite burning you guys last year is maddening as hell ..he'll drop routine, easy passes then make a freak one-handed catch. He is an unreliable receiver who makes you **** yourself on 3rd downs and struggles to get separation. He is meant to take the lid off of a D and beat them up-top but he is constantly blanketed, dropping balls, or running a crappy route - he is one of the worst route runners I've ever seen. He does seem to have "intangibles" however, and once he actually gets the ball in his hands (rare) he is capable of making things happen.

Blair White - UDFA rookie and a poor man's Austin Collie. Without Dallas Clark and Collie, the primary threat down the seam is Blair White and Tamme, but these guys are nowhere near as good. White's game-speed is far slower than Collies' despite supposedly having a better 40 time. He's a rookie I know, but he has had several miscommunications with Manning and struggles to get separation (notice a trend here?)

TEs - Don't let Jacob Tamme's statistics fool you, anyone who knows football and watches the Colts know that Tamme's value in numbers nowhere approaches the effect Dallas Clark has on opposing Ds in terms of opening things up for other players. Tamme is a slow, lumbering white guy down the seam who doesn't adjust well to the ball and can't make tough catches - but he does have good hands and hauls in the passes you expect him to. He is a classic example of someone being good because of Manning - can't wait for some sucker to trade for him expecting him to be a #1 TE

Brody Eldridge is a blocking TE who comes in on our "power" packages, and if he catches a pass it's because he was the last option - Gijon Robinson is arguably the worst football player I've ever seen, and how he has a spot on the roster is anyone's guess.

O-line - ironically, this much-maligned unit has survived the rash of injuries. Our tackles are average at best, our interior line play is awful and our center is aging. Polian needs to be held accountable for the quality of this O-line since he called them out after the Superbowl, cut one of our best linemen in the off-season, drafted garbage to replace them and has seen the unit regress over last year. They pass-block OK (but not good) but are soft as **** and get blown off the line on running plays. One of the reasons Manning's YPA is down this year is due to having to get rid of the ball, on average, in 1.7 seconds and not having time to let routes develop downfield by our slow receivers.

RBs - Donald Brown is a waste of a 1st round pick - no clue in pass protection and whenever he's back in shotgun I get scared of Manning get Romo'd. He has some home-run ability and pass-catching ability, but he lacks decisiveness and vision to run behind this ****ty line

Addai is quite possibly the most underrated and one of the most important players in our offense. He is a complete back who runs hard (he struggles to get 2-3 yards after having to fight to get past the line of scrimmage on so many plays that go off-tackle) but will never post big individual numbers due to our style of offense and crappy O-line. He is one of the best pass-protecting RBs in the league and the drop-off between him and others is significant in terms of technique and recognition. Not a home-run threat however.

Rhodes is over-the-hill but brings a spark and runs hard ...he's a good relief back but wears down quickly and not a homerun threat.

D-line - we are ranked something like 15-16th in sacks ..makes sense since we only have half a pass-rush ...our DEs are great, but they sell-out against the pass too much and can be taken out of the play alot plus our interior line generates zero pass rush hence opposing QBs usually just have to step-up in the pocket. Larry Coyer is also a horrible D coordinator and will often waste our DEs on fruitless stunts that negate their strength. Freeney is all speed and leverage ..asking him to loop around (something they do ALOT) is just ******ed. Behind Mathis and Freeney is no-one and because Coyer is an old saggy piece of **** who plays our DBs 10-15 yards off the receivers, we can make Kerry Collins and David Garrard look like HoF-ers.

The DTs have gotten alot better against the run but they still lack the ability to collapse the pocket. You guys, with the best center in football and a strong interior line, won't have to worry about the pocket collapsing anytime soon. However, they have gotten ALOT better at stopping the run - don't believe me, look at our last 3 games against Tennessee, Oakland and Jacksonville. Trust me, we've been stopping the run just fine of late, it's our pass D that currently sucks due to injuries and the fact we sell out against the run.

LBers - very very average group that's been injury riddled. Not sure how much of a boost Session coming back gives us owing to rust and injury. They over-pursue alot and lose containment alot due to the mentality of swarming to the ball ..they bite hard on misdirection plays alot too.

CBs - the weak-link due to injury ...Jerraud Powers is our best CB and he's on IR, Justin Tryon was signed off the Foreskin's practise squad and played good coverage ..Hayden is our most expensive corner but he is incredibly overrated yet always gets a free-pass. Lacey is master of the 10-yard cusion but will occasionally make a play. Our CBs aren't good in man-coverage and to make things worse, often play 10-yards off a receiver, even on 3rd and 4th or 3rd and 3rd. We have one of the worst 3rd down Ds in the league. They tackle well though ..if it wasn't for them, all those 15 yard gains would be 40 yarders *eyeroll*. They struggle against big physical receivers and someone like Holmes looks like a nightmare.

Safeties - walking wounded. Antoine Bethea is a Pro Bowl snub and the only person holding our secondary together - he reminds me of a productive Kerry Rhodes. Aaron Francisco might be the worst strong safety in the league and how he has a job is beyond me - he'll whiff, take poor angles and just outright sucks, but in fairness, we were scraping the bottom of the barrel at this spot due to injury

"Special teams" - we have one of the worst coverage in the league and are dead last in average starting field position, that's all you need to know. Our projected return-men are on IR and Rhodes is a horrible return-man ..getting back to the 20 on kick-offs is a miracle. Pat McAfee looked like Scifres at one point, but since his little naked swim in the canal during the bye-week has played like crap. Vinatieri is luckily having an amazing, quiet season and only missed 1 FG over 40 yards at home for his Colts career. His kicks today were dead center from 48 yards out - this guy still has it.
NYColtFan is online now "

Playing the Colts is a blessing - TheGangGreen.com Message Board

Newsflash: Colts are the Pats Only AFC Threat

Gotta get this out there in response to the way too many posters saying beware of the Ravens, or the Steelers, or the (!) Jets.

Enough already. Seriously. The Pats—Brady & Belichick—own the Steelers. They beat Pittsburgh by 2 TDs in Pittsburgh, even allowing for 20+ garbage time points by the Steelers. That team is not a threat.

Baltimore? The Pats’ victory over the Ravens was in week 6, where the Pats’ defense hadn’t begun to jell into the solid unit it is today. Does anyone seriously think Joe Flacco’s going to come in and beat Brady this year? Last year’s game actually helps the Pats, because they’ll hear “33-14” all week. Please. That was a depleted and disgruntled Pats team that for one of the only times in the Belichick era was not ready to play. They lost the 1st quarter 24-0, and that’s all she wrote. Flacco threw for 34 yards. It was a perfect storm of suck.

I won’t waste time on the Jets.

But the Colts almost beat the Pats in Foxboro, and they’ve improved since then. Forget Manning vs. Brady debates—bottom line, Manning is a great QB, who will be dangerous until he’s gone. That’s the team to worry about in the AFC. The only team.

I see a few potential threats in the NFC, but that can wait until the conferences are settled—there’s only going to be one team to be worried about, after all.

Re: Newsflash: Colts are the Pats Only AFC Threat

The Colts 4 game winning streak consists of Tennesse x2, Oakland, and Jacksonville. They easily could have lost both times to Tennessee, Jacksonville shot themselves in the foot, and the Raiders were in it until the end. I'm not at all impressed with their "run." Granted they can give us fits with Manning and they do have a fast D but we're a better team.

I think any of the other 5 AFC teams in the playoffs are capable of beating the Patriots on a given Sunday. I think the likelihood is the Patriots beat them all since they are the best team, but you can't make a general statement like that. Not after 2007.

Take Pittsburgh, for instance: the Steelers are a good, balanced team - our past success against them does not guarantee a victory going forward.

Gotta get this out there in response to the way too many posters saying beware of the Ravens, or the Steelers, or the (!) Jets.

Enough already. Seriously. The Pats—Brady & Belichick—own the Steelers. They beat Pittsburgh by 2 TDs in Pittsburgh, even allowing for 20+ garbage time points by the Steelers. That team is not a threat.

Baltimore? The Pats’ victory over the Ravens was in week 6, where the Pats’ defense hadn’t begun to jell into the solid unit it is today. Does anyone seriously think Joe Flacco’s going to come in and beat Brady this year? Last year’s game actually helps the Pats, because they’ll hear “33-14” all week. Please. That was a depleted and disgruntled Pats team that for one of the only times in the Belichick era was not ready to play. They lost the 1st quarter 24-0, and that’s all she wrote. Flacco threw for 34 yards. It was a perfect storm of suck.

But the Colts almost beat the Pats in Foxboro, and they’ve improved since then. Forget Manning vs. Brady debates—bottom line, Manning is a great QB, who will be dangerous until he’s gone. That’s the team to worry about in the AFC. The only team.

I see a few potential threats in the NFC, but that can wait until the conferences are settled—there’s only going to be one team to be worried about, after all.

Although I feel confident that we can beat the Colts by a bigger margin if we meet them again, I would rather that they lose at Pittsburgh.

Looking forward to meeting the Ravens and someone taking care of Suggs so that he can never open his mouth to speak about the Pats ever again.

I pretty much agree with all this; still, the games need to be played. Taking nothing for granted, here's how I see it:

The Ravens will not lose to the Chiefs. They won't even be beaten up by them. As much as I agree that the Pats have come a long way since their close game earlier, I'd rather face the Ravens after the Steelers have been able to maul them a bit. So (I think) I'm rooting for an Indy loss Saturday, then Pats destroy Jets and Ravens on the way to Dallas (where they trounce Seattle!)

Sorry Baltimore is the only team, that poses a threat.. I dont want to see the jets, because i dont want the jets to win any playoff game...

the colts might be a tired team by the time to meet the pats, and i dont think they will get past pitt... Pitt well we know they are no match for Tom Brady...

i want to see them play kc for all the subplots and lets see what happens...

Baltimore has a chip and they have beaten us at home, yes this is not the same team, but i dont want to find out again.. Baltimore is a dangerous team.. its just a bad match up for the pats...

Everyone is a threat, we saw that in the 2008 Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents