PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is DeVonta Smith falling ?

I think Rice and Harrison were masters at route running having great hands. Smith is probably faster (straight line speed) than either Rice or Harrison were in college. Then add in great route running and Odell Beckham type hands.

His ONLY negative is his weight. The kid produced at the highest levels against the BEST teams and best DBs. He literally obliterated these DBs. They knew he was the best WR in the country, they knew he would hurt them, yet they STILL couldn’t cover him. It’s not like they were surprised, they knew was unstoppable, but there was nothing they could do.

Yes Devonta is incredible. He's Marvin Harrison 2.0. Somehow we have people who saw how smurfs like Branch, Welker, Edelman succeeded for almost 2 decades yet want to rule out a WR because of his weight. But, our clueless WR scouting dept or OC thinks this way, and haven't drafted a meaningful WR with a high pick since Branch. Devonta is going to make someone look good. I still hope the Patriots go Defense with the first pick.

If the top QB's are gone and corners, then I could Smith, even moving up.

I think the GIants are eyeing either Smith or Waddle and if neither of them are available they will trade down. I don't think Smith gets past Carolina at 8.

I think the GIants are eyeing either Smith or Waddle and if neither of them are available they will trade down. I don't think Smith gets past Carolina at 8.
Carolina might think they still need a QB and will probably be eyeing whomever falls out of the Lance, Fields, Jones trio. I can very realistically envision a scenario where Smith falls to either the Giants or Eagles at 11-12.

Carolina might think they still need a QB and will probably be eyeing whomever falls out of the Lance, Fields, Jones trio. I can very realistically envision a scenario where Smith falls to either the Giants or Eagles at 11-12.

A Giants beat reporter is saying the G-men have their eyes on Devonta Smith if he's there, followed by Waddle/Slater in the next tier, and then Horn/Surtain.

Miami will likely take Waddle/Smith. Detroit needs a LB badly and may trade out with a QB needy team. Carolina is looking at LT so probably sewell/slater. Denver will take Lance if he's around, and Dallas wants a corner.

Last edited:
The upcoming Eagles game reminded me of DeVonta. Even though it's completely expected, it's still unfortunate and sad. It's probably going to be like the N'Keal situation (constantly injured), but with someone who could've really lit the league on fire. Hope that this is the last of it for a while partly because I enjoy potential greatness realized and that he seems like a good kid ("I like him as a person").

Last edited:
Smith’s college career was amazing. He catches an overtime td catch as a freshman to win a national championship and his last game as a college player wins another national championship.

Kind of nailed it.

Good call OP, Devonta Smith (Marvin Harrison 2.0) has 314 yards so far and could be a 1000 yard rookie receiver. Also outplaying his teammate Waddle. Will be interesting to see if this holds the rest of the year.

Mac would have loved this guy hopefully we can draft him a young stud next year and ship off agolor

Good call OP, Devonta Smith (Marvin Harrison 2.0) has 314 yards so far and could be a 1000 yard rookie receiver. Also outplaying his teammate Waddle. Will be interesting to see if this holds the rest of the year.

devonta is incredible. LOL at the poster who called him too small. Harry is built like hulk hogan and is slower than the turtle in my backyard pond. Speed and separation kill!

devonta is incredible. LOL at the poster who called him too small. Harry is built like hulk hogan and is slower than the turtle in my backyard pond. Speed and separation kill!

Yeah it's hilarious re-reading fake draft expert posts dissing Devonta and saying Waddle was worth a top5 pick. The same crazies who dissed Mac and Barmore pre-draft and said Trey Lance was the best. I don't mind people being flat out wrong but when it's combined with snarky arrogance, gotta take them down a couple pegs. A lot of different opinions here is fine but I'm not on board with people who try to gatekeep which opinions are legitimate or illegitimate. See the recent 'Content Post' tags, the same thin-skinned fake expert construction guy who pushed for this tag, transparently trying to further do this lame 'i know better than others' mindset.

Yeah it's hilarious re-reading fake draft expert posts dissing Devonta and saying Waddle was worth a top5 pick. The same crazies who dissed Mac and Barmore pre-draft and said Trey Lance was the best. I don't mind people being flat out wrong but when it's combined with snarky arrogance, gotta take them down a couple pegs. A lot of different opinions here is fine but I'm not on board with people who try to gatekeep which opinions are legitimate or illegitimate. See the recent 'Content Post' tags, the same thin-skinned fake expert construction guy who pushed for this tag, transparently trying to further do this lame 'i know better than others' mindset.

This is simply a veiled shot. No substance and no evidence.

Before the next draft I expect to see your Excel spreadsheet of all the potential Patriot prospects.

Then we can see how good you are compared to the "construction guy".

You won't do it because you already know that he'll destroy you.

the "construction guy".

Hey you said it about bcg being a construction guy, I didn't say anything about that above.

I love people sharing their opinions even in strong debate but not when construction guys gatekeep other's opinions and look down their nose at others. Maybe you've missed it but he's done that with multiple people. If it was just straight info I would appreciate it. I love football passion. But limited mental-capacity guys who care way too much about being fake experts and then take the extra step to throw attitude around to multiple other posters, deserve to be taken down a peg. There's a wealth of laughable takes the fake expert was just flat out wrong about. He should stick to retweeting other people. Not even in the same stratosphere as BOR from back in the day. Watch how bcg whines about wanting to really break down football, X's and O's, then whines how nobody cares about his threads, whines, rinse and repeat. Guy is just really insecure and thin skinned.

Hey you said it about bcg being a construction guy, I didn't say anything about that above.

I love people sharing their opinions even in strong debate but not when construction guys gatekeep other's opinions and look down their nose at others. Maybe you've missed it but he's done that with multiple people. If it was just straight info I would appreciate it. I love football passion. But limited mental-capacity guys who care way too much about being fake experts and then take the extra step to throw attitude around to multiple other posters, deserve to be taken down a peg. There's a wealth of laughable takes the fake expert was just flat out wrong about. He should stick to retweeting other people. Not even in the same stratosphere as BOR from back in the day. Watch how bcg whines about wanting to really break down football, X's and O's, then whines how nobody cares about his threads, whines, rinse and repeat. Guy is just really insecure and thin skinned.

You did bring "construction guy" up. And why don't you @ him instead of these stab in the back type shots?

See the recent 'Content Post' tags, the same thin-skinned fake expert construction guy who pushed for this tag, transparently trying to further do this lame 'i know better than others' mindset.

So I guess you're not going to give us a counter argument to his draft grades on hundreds of players over the years nor provide us with your draft grades for the next draft.

I don't understand your fetish with him.

You did bring "construction guy" up. And why don't you @ him instead of these stab in the back type shots?

So I guess you're not going to give us a counter argument to his draft grades on hundreds of players over the years nor provide us with your draft grades for the next draft.

I don't understand your fetish with him.
This is crazy ex-gf stuff. You alluded to it but what's truly hilarious is he's posting like he's talking to me without actually @ me or replying to me. Someone else actually brought that to my attention lol.
Dude is seriously angry though. Like really mad. He does this in all of his post now.

It's pretty low to be making stuff up about other members though. Even if you're a weirdo, get emotional over this stuff and don't "like" a poster. Why lie?
There should be an unspoken rule about that stuff.

I'd challenge him to show me where I'm complain about my thread, X&O's lol (doesn't even make sense) or saying Trey Lance is the best QB but it's just him lying for attention. Again ex-gf stuff. He used ask me questions and repeat what I say but now I'm a dumb construction guy lmao

Screenshot_2021-05-16-03-09-03~3.png
Screenshot_2021-05-16-04-22-00~2.png

My grades aren't hard to find either. @BobDigital has a thread on them. Going over them year by year. He looks at the bad and isn't afraid to give his opinion. Another poster looked compared my grades to the NFL. I welcome that stuff actually bc there's not a lot of people on record. Even on here, besides @Off The Grid I don't know of anyone keeping track of their grades. At least OTG was doing that last time I checked. There's just not a lot people doing this year in year out with their stuff for everyone to see. So I have no problem with people critiquing mine, just be objective about it. Compare it to others for context. I think that's key on all levels. How am I doing vs someone else. How is Bill doing vs the league, teams picking in similar spots.

Anyway I hope @DropKickFlutie is ok bc there's an awful lot of projection in his post and threads. Almost every one is angry and negative.

I have to admit I was wrong thinking waddle would be the best of the 4 first rounders and so far he looks like the worst

This is crazy ex-gf stuff. You alluded to it but what's truly hilarious is he's posting like he's talking to me without actually @ me or replying to me. Someone else actually brought that to my attention lol.
Dude is seriously angry though. Like really mad. He does this in all of his post now.

It's pretty low to be making stuff up about other members though. Even if you're a weirdo, get emotional over this stuff and don't "like" a poster. Why lie?
There should be an unspoken rule about that stuff.

I'd challenge him to show me where I'm complain about my thread, X&O's lol (doesn't even make sense) or saying Trey Lance is the best QB but it's just him lying for attention. Again ex-gf stuff. He used ask me questions and repeat what I say but now I'm a dumb construction guy lmao

View attachment 36600
View attachment 36601

My grades aren't hard to find either. @BobDigital has a thread on them. Going over them year by year. He looks at the bad and isn't afraid to give his opinion. Another poster looked compared my grades to the NFL. I welcome that stuff actually bc there's not a lot of people on record. Even on here, besides @Off The Grid I don't know of anyone keeping track of their grades. At least OTG was doing that last time I checked. There's just not a lot people doing this year in year out with their stuff for everyone to see. So I have no problem with people critiquing mine, just be objective about it. Compare it to others for context. I think that's key on all levels. How am I doing vs someone else. How is Bill doing vs the league, teams picking in similar spots.

Anyway I hope @DropKickFlutie is ok bc there's an awful lot of projection in his post and threads. Almost every one is angry and negative.

I don't understand @DropKickFlutie 's takes. I'm not sure what started it. Lately his posts are either about Josh McDaniels or the "construction guy".

I like the guy and his posts are usually good when they don't include "construction guy" or JM references.

Personally I've really enjoyed your draft stuff and the "things you've seen and heard" thread. You put an extraordinary amount of time into them and they always have some nice nuggets to chew on. So thanks for that.

Anyway it is what it is. You can't make everyone happy I guess. But please keep doing what you're doing. It's a lot of fun from my end.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back