PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is DeVonta Smith falling ?

@TommyBrady12 , wish I was an ectomorph but too late for that ....lol

You are pretty much born with that body type. It has its benefits - skinny, can eat what you want, etc. But it's not pleasant to look at. Is Brady's body, for example, that much different today than at the combine? probably not.

Doubtful that Devonta Smith gets past the Dolphins at #6. They moved back up for a reason. Looks like they want to build around Tua so WR will be an early pick for them.

if qb’s go 1,2,3, and 4. Then the bengals take an offensive tackle.

if Miami is smart, they take Pitt’s. He is a beast and match up nightmare.

He and I have the same BMI (assuming he's really 6'1"), and I'm pretty frickin' skinny (which I need to be to stay fast). He'd need to gain 25lbs just to get to the same BMI as Brady's during his draft. If he does gain 10lbs, that probably will slow him down. Reminds me of Allen Robinson who lost 12lbs to get his 40 time from 4.6 at the combine (39Vert) to 4.47 (42Vert, nearly half a second faster 3cone) just before the draft, but then gained it back up again after that (like fighters/wrestlers).

Man, the draft needs to get here in a hurry. I'd need to know who's available before making the call.

Is skinny Marvin Harrison in the hall of fame? Just checking. Not every WR fits some dumb mold of a specific height. Tom Brady didn't "look" the part either for QB's. And Jerry Rice ran extremely slow 40's.

Doubtful that Devonta Smith gets past the Dolphins at #6. They moved back up for a reason. Looks like they want to build around Tua so WR will be an early pick for them.
I think the fish will go with Chase or Waddle over Smith. I do think that Smith is falling and his weight is the reason.

I think the fish will go with Chase or Waddle over Smith. I do think that Smith is falling and his weight is the reason.
Is he falling because of his weight or because he may not be as fast as people think?

Is he falling because of his weight or because he may not be as fast as people think?
I couldn’t tell you that for certain, but I think being slight is a bigger issue than his speed and quickness. He’s obviously incredibly talented, but the NFL is brutal, and 170 isn’t much weight to carry, even at WR. I think Chase is the clear #1, and Smith will drop a little and Waddle move up between now and the draft. But the Wr depth in this class could cause some top 10 teams in this draft to go War with h their 2nd pick and pass on the Alabama WR’s early in the 1st.

I think chase of lsu is the best “x” receiver in this draft. He is fast and he is the most physical receiver at the catch point in this draft.

In addition, I think Moore of ole miss is the best slot receiver in this draft. He is almost uncoverable if he gets a clean release!

in our offense, I think waddle would be an incredible “z” receiver. One of the fastest players in this draft and at the same time, the most sudden receiver in this draft.

the beauty of smith is he can player any of these positions and probably excel in any of them.

I don't think Smith's pre-draft process has done him any favours so can see why he may slip a few spots. I think there is an outside chance he is available at 15.

My preference at WR is actually to draft Rashod Bateman, ideally with a trade down to around 20, but I would take him at 15 if necessary. Great route runner, has played the X, Y and Z, so fits with what the Pats like to do. And he has really strong hands. He reminds of me of Justin Jefferson - the ding on Bateman is apparently his lack of suddenness but they said the same about Jefferson. With the new Edelman could be done and Harry on the way out, getting another WR in the draft is important. Agholor, Bateman, Bourne, Henry and Smith sounds good to me.

DeVonta reminds of a Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison type. Not dominant physical traits but just uncoverable - I think he's going to be a home run, esp. if someone picks him outside the top 10.

Is skinny Marvin Harrison in the hall of fame? Just checking. Not every WR fits some dumb mold of a specific height. Tom Brady didn't "look" the part either for QB's. And Jerry Rice ran extremely slow 40's.
To get to the same BMI as Harrison's combine height/weight, Devonta Smith would need to gain 15lbs. He's skinnier than skinny (although less friendly WR rules during MV's time). Big risk. That's a tough decision if he's available at 15, as he's incredibly talented.

To get to the same BMI as Harrison's combine height/weight, Devonta Smith would need to gain 15lbs. He's skinnier than skinny (although less friendly WR rules during MV's time). Big risk. That's a tough decision if he's available at 15, as he's incredibly talented.

How silly is this to have a WR drop because he's skinny. Almost worse than Jerry Rice dropping for a 4.7 40 or Tom Brady dropping because he had a 5.2 40 and didn't look like hercules with his shirt off.

Smith’s legs are skinnier than a chickens. Isn’t he an injury waiting to happen In The pros?

Smith’s legs are skinnier than a chickens. Isn’t he an injury waiting to happen In The pros?
The amazing thing about him is that supposedly, the only injury listed for him is that finger/hand in the title game, and that's 4 years in the SEC. Hopefully those skinny legs are as strong as an ostrich's. If Pats take him, he only needs to stay healthy for 3 or 4 years (although I wonder if past draft performance in taking a very recent injury prone 1st Rnd WR is going to affect them). That being said, as a skinny dude, I hope Slim Reaper proves a lot of people wrong in the next level. It sounds like even if he does bulk up and lose some speed, the stuff upstairs will probably make up for it:

"His success as a pass catcher is partially due to all of the time spent in the secondary at Amite because Smith knows the moves of every defender who dares to guard him. That could be why he always seems one step ahead of everyone else in his route running. "

I've heard comparisons to Marvin Harrison, a little before my time, but I've seen film on him and if Smith can come close to Harrison, he'll have a good career. I'm not sure if he's falling as much as the 5 qb's are rising. In most places, I've seen he is rated the 2nd wr in this draft...

The amazing thing about him is that supposedly, the only injury listed for him is that finger/hand in the title game, and that's 4 years in the SEC. Hopefully those skinny legs are as strong as an ostrich's. If Pats take him, he only needs to stay healthy for 3 or 4 years (although I wonder if past draft performance in taking a very recent injury prone 1st Rnd WR is going to affect them). That being said, as a skinny dude, I hope Slim Reaper proves a lot of people wrong in the next level. It sounds like even if he does bulk up and lose some speed, the stuff upstairs will probably make up for it:

"His success as a pass catcher is partially due to all of the time spent in the secondary at Amite because Smith knows the moves of every defender who dares to guard him. That could be why he always seems one step ahead of everyone else in his route running. "

I'm a fan of actual production. Devonta played in the SEC, the best college players, and absolutely dominated. He was extremely durable. I don't like Waddle for the same reason, wasn't the best WR in any of his 3 seasons, hurt a lot, but somehow people like him better because he's fast. The obsession with a specific height/weight or combine metrics is ******ed. Bill Walsh used to ignore combine crap and actually put a prospect through a specific workout and see if a WR can get open against a DB. Ultimately that's the most important thing for a WR. There's a lot of fake-smart analytics about X players were this height or 3cone. This is backwards reasoning. This is what happens when you have not that smart people trying to analyze things.

I like Devonta Smith a lot. In terms of size he reminds me of Desean Jackson who had a really good NFL career.

Desean Jackson Combine measurements:

Height:69.75 inches
Weight:169 pounds
40 Yard Dash:4.40 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):18.59 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:2.55 seconds
10 Yard Split:1.54 seconds

Desean Jackson NFL Production:

In an offense like the Patriots Devonta Smith's versatility could fit in really well to McDaniel's system.

DeVonta reminds of a Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison type. Not dominant physical traits but just uncoverable - I think he's going to be a home run, esp. if someone picks him outside the top 10.
I think Rice and Harrison were masters at route running having great hands. Smith is probably faster (straight line speed) than either Rice or Harrison were in college. Then add in great route running and Odell Beckham type hands.

His ONLY negative is his weight. The kid produced at the highest levels against the BEST teams and best DBs. He literally obliterated these DBs. They knew he was the best WR in the country, they knew he would hurt them, yet they STILL couldn’t cover him. It’s not like they were surprised, they knew was unstoppable, but there was nothing they could do.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back