PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brady having some subpar games? Or is he physically declining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is fifth in stats according to NFL.com ahead of Rodgers and Brees, for two.
5th in what, exactly? What statistic are you citing? What meaningful category could he possibly be ahead of Drew Brees in? Brees seems like he’s battling Mahomes and maybe Gurley for the MVP.

5th in what, exactly? What statistic are you citing? What meaningful category could he possibly be ahead of Drew Brees in? Brees seems like he’s battling Mahomes and maybe Gurley for the MVP.

Look, I went to NFL.com and he was 5th when I clicked QBs. It's their ranking. The point is, he and the team had one bad game after 6 wins and people here want to jump off a bridge. He doesn't have a reliable WR or RB rotation from game to game all year. Other teams, looking at people slashing their wrists after a 6-1 run must be shaking their heads.

We're on a bye, so standings have changed, but it's way beside the point anyway.

We're on a bye, so standings have changed, but it's way beside the point anyway.
I was just curious as to what he could be 5th best in, that’s all. To this point, he hasn’t really had a season that would be considered anything special. Luckily, they have a 7-3 record and can still turn it on at the right time.

Look, I went to NFL.com and he was 5th when I clicked QBs. It's their ranking. The point is, he and the team had one bad game after 6 wins and people here want to jump off a bridge. He doesn't have a reliable WR or RB rotation from game to game all year. Other teams, looking at people slashing their wrists after a 6-1 run must be shaking their heads.

You may have been looking at yardage, as Brady had played an extra game than a number of the QBs who played this weekend.

I agree on the sentiment. He had a worse season in 2013 (87.4 rating and he is currently 94), with all the rookies as receivers. Too bad Brady retired after that year, and he never did anything else.

As he showed in 2013, Brady can get frustrated when the receivers cannot get open and/or runs incorrect routes. There was the occasional bad decision/throw in 2013. People quickly discount the role of the receiver in QB play. For example, Brady will not look like Brady with Pop Warner receivers against NFL defenses. There is talent in the group of receivers, but with injuries, suspension and unfamiliarity, it still has a way to go. That may offer a suggestion, other than Brady as to why the offense isn't humming this year.

No decline. He's simply not playing too well. A part of it's Brady, a part of it's the o-line being shaky at times, injuries, and the supporting cast of WRs changing from week 1 (Dorsett heavily featured, no Edelman, Edelman back, working Gordon in, no Michel). The INTs don't look good on paper but as we all know, 4 of those were deflected by his own team or the opposing d-line.

There's nothing wrong with his arm. There's no reason why he'd suddenly lose the mental aspect of the game. He threw for over 500 yards in the SuperBowl just 9 months ago.

Not just that, but his first five games of the season, he was pretty stellar, except for being victimized by at four interceptions that never should have been:

- Tipped pass at the LOS against Houston that went RIGHT to a Texan defender.
- Pass in Hogan's arms that he didn't corral that got deflected up right to a Colts defender.
- Pass right to Gronk who caught it, took two steps, then had it knocked out, directly to another Colts defender.
- Pass to Develin that he had in his hands, got knocked out, directly to a defender.

Without those four, assuming one incomplete (against Houston) and three receptions, his passer rating was terrific those first five games. The last five he hasn't been great, but he's had many worse five-game stretches, including the last five of last year's regular season. All he did after that was put up unfreakingbelievably great numbers in the playoffs.

Of course he's declining some. Dude is 41. But he's still terrific. The Pats as a TEAM, however, need to get their heads out of their asses and flip the switch. I hope the bye week has been just what the doctor ordered. Come out and beat the Jets this week, then beat Minnesota at home, then win at Miami (no easy task). Get to 10-3. Then the big one at Pittsburgh. Go from there.

Ah ol magical 41. I remember in 2010 when Brett Favre was playing in the freezing cold and his arm had turned purple and took a huge hit against the bears. He was never the same again and retired for good. I read an article on pats pulpit that said that Brady has been playing as an above average QB this year but not an ELITE QB as we’ve expected to see from him every year. I am not sure how to take this, Could we see a repeat of 2014 and the Brady that we are used to seeing comes out? Or is this the beginning of the end? Should we be thinking about a new QB in the draft next year? I really want Brady to have 6 before he retires but we usually win the super bowl when we host the AFC championship game and the only games I see the chiefs losing at this point are against Baltimore and the Rams.

Yes. The dude is 41. I don't care what he says about playing until he's 45. He could be done at any moment. I 100% don't think we would walk away mid-season, but we should have drafted a guy this year.

I still think the QB free agent class of 2020 holds the immediate successor to TB12. I don't think BB will bring in a 24 year old kid and make him fill Tom's shoes. I think they will take one of these guys in their 30's and plug him in there and then draft a kid.

Last edited:
We have six games left in the season and we’ll all watch Brady very closely during this stretch.

If he’s declining, Patriots fans won’t go into denial and try to blame other things. If we see him declining, we’ll be honest and say “he’s finally at the end and we’re so grateful we got to watch the greatest ever for the past 2 decades”

It’s really that simple and it’s ok people

If he’s declining, Patriots fans won’t go into denial and try to blame other things. If we see him declining, we’ll be honest and say “he’s finally at the end and we’re so grateful we got to watch the greatest ever for the past 2 decades”
Dream on. Vehement denial will be exactly what happens.

Dream on. Vehement denial will be exactly what happens.
I tend to agree but I think as we saw with the Jimmy G saga you'll have two camps.

1) Tom is fine. There has been degradation with the talent on offense and the coaching has also fallen off.
2) Tom doesn't have the physical ability and/or mental acuity he one had. Hes cooked.

...and there will be a debate to the death over who is right.

I really appreciated this Bye of all the bye weeks: it's obvious this Team needed it especially the Offense. That said they were some surprises such as now RB C Patterson. Sony should be at full strength now so too Gordon and Gronk. Getting Rex Hurtmeister back could be huge if he can stay healthy and spell Sony from time to time. Our Offense will be more lethal with Burkhead/White than Sony/White. Rex showed last year when healthy he's a dual threat Brady loves those kind of RB's. Memo to Sony learn how to catch he should make Teams respect that part of his game. Brady should be more than happy and more effective with his familiar weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News