PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brady having some subpar games? Or is he physically declining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. 3 out of 5 starters on the OL were basically out. Brady's passes would be better and the RBs would've done better with a healthier line.

I know Mason was inactive and Brown left the game early- who was the third?

His receivers don’t create instant separation. Hogan and Edelman look a step or two slower than they used to be, Gronk is slow/hurt, Dorsett sucks, Cooks is in LA and Amendola is in Miami.

The entire pass offense is screens to White and forced intermediate/deep balls to Gordon. Edelman has put up decent numbers but he isn’t the quick pass chain moving star he used to be and the other receivers aren’t quick separation guys

Brady has had the same issue before with WR who can’t get open quickly. It’s nothing new. The talent isn’t there

He physically looks fine to me, but I'm good with calling him washed up. It will piss him off and inspire him. Put some qb draft rumors out there and he will instantly turn into an all pro. Also, he really needs to give guys beside Gordon a chance. I really don't care if it results in picks at times. We scored 10 fn points. We could've scored more than 10 if we ran the ball every play.

Our biggest problem going forward though is our run d. I hate all of our defensive tackles. Brown, Shelton, Butler and Guy are all jags that could be replaced with anyone and have similar results.

He physically looks fine to me, but I'm good with calling him washed up. It will piss him off and inspire him. Put some qb draft rumors out there and he will instantly turn into an all pro. Also, he really needs to give guys beside Gordon a chance. I really don't care if it results in picks at times. We scored 10 fn points. We could've scored more than 10 if we ran the ball every play.

Our biggest problem going forward though is our run d. I hate all of our defensive tackles. Brown, Shelton, Butler and Guy are all jags that could be replaced with anyone and have similar results.

The starting DT are awful. Guy is a useful rotational piece but the rest are trash and hopefully the team rebuilds that position in the offseason. Brown and Shelton are very low end starters at best (I’d argue they’re backup quality players) and shouldn’t be primary guys for a team with Super Bowl hopes.

I know Mason was inactive and Brown left the game early- who was the third?
He’s probably referring to Cannon as the third injured player.

Those deep completions to Gordon were a couple of Brady's prettiest passes in awhile. Still looks like plenty of zip on the ball to me. (And absolutely no resemblence that crap fluttering out of Peyton's hand his last season.)

The inevitability of at least some decline at age 41 notwithstanding, my guess is there is far more going on mechanically/mentally than physically.

He played like crap just like eveyrone else and he has played worse before. Remember all the miami games . Or the ravens playoff games, even the one we won. Age is an easy story because it will catch more hits.

I think it's a combination of the two. I won't say Brady is physically done because I have seen him throw some real beauties with zip and great accuracy so he clearly still has it. On the other hand that out pass to White that landed 4 yards ahead of his feet was a first down any other year of Brady's career so something is clearly wrong. The most concerning thing I have seen is sloppy mechanics even when there was no cause I.E. a pass rusher in his face or on his feet. Too many passes are fading away or lofted or sidearmed, not the step up and let it rip Tom has patiented in the past. Is he hurt? Is it decline? Is it mental? I need to see a bigger sample but Brady right now definetly isn't playing well and it's not all the other players around him. He has played way better with worse players before. That said there is still no other QB I want leading my team and I have full faith he will figure it out or die trying.

I think one issue is the fact we expect Brady to be unbelievably great every single game no matter what.

The other issue we had was the O-Line, no matter what QB you had he would of struggled with the sheer amount of pressure that was coming at him.

The best thing I saw was his ability to move in the pocket despite it all. Maybe Brady needs a break and to take some time off with the bye week.

I think him missing training camp and OTAs hasn’t helped but until he cannot physically and mentally do it I won’t ever count him out.

Watch film of Brady 2007-2013 then watch film of the 41 year old Brady in 2018. A clear difference in physical ability. Brady has definitely lost some zip on his fastball. Father Time catches up with everyone. With that said, he is not washed up. He still has enough in the tank to win us one more Super Bowl. But his prime is over, he has physically declined.

Brady seems okay to me physically, but his decision making has been subpar at times. WR’s not getting consistent separation doesn’t help. Playcalling has been really bad at times too like the goaline goof against Green Bay.

This is where im at, not worried about arm strength or anything but some strange decisions and the vast reports that he is missing wide open wr’s. Heard again hogan had butler beat on a double move for a td that Brady missed trying to force it to Edelman. Then again there have been previous issues with force feeding and Brady has gone through some rough stretches so not gonna chalk it up to a decline yet, hopefully the bye helps in getting things rolling.

Of course the general team struggles have not helped. We didn’t have our best run blocker yesterday and got down early so it really hurt being one dimensional. Obviously with better d play and run game Brady will do better.

I think he's missing throws because he's trying to throw it harder than he is currently capable.
Be that injury or age??? Gripping it tighter than normal to throw harder = miss throws.
I hope it's some kind of temporary situation.

In any case I hope he doesn't go out ugly - he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.

He is the GOAT.

This is where im at, not worried about arm strength or anything but some strange decisions and the vast reports that he is missing wide open wr’s. Heard again hogan had butler beat on a double move for a td that Brady missed trying to force it to Edelman. Then again there have been previous issues with force feeding and Brady has gone through some rough stretches so not gonna chalk it up to a decline yet, hopefully the bye helps in getting things rolling.

Of course the general team struggles have not helped. We didn’t have our best run blocker yesterday and got down early so it really hurt being one dimensional. Obviously with better d play and run game Brady will do better.
Once he starts to get hit as regularly as the titans did , his decision making gets affected especially when down big and he is desperate. Unless its a 1 score game or something after all the hits. Then he just becomes zen master. This is pretty normal and has happened before.

He looked I'll yesterday. Its hits you harder in your 40s. He may have an injury too.

It seems like Brady can’t carry a bad team like he used to.

I can't explain the Jaguars game, maybe I can with the temperature that day. But I think this game and the Detroit game were a case of the opponents being too familiar with the team and this caused us to try and be different and change things up.
I have also noticed that the defense is not able to alter their game plan if what they planned for changes.

No decline. He's simply not playing too well. A part of it's Brady, a part of it's the o-line being shaky at times, injuries, and the supporting cast of WRs changing from week 1 (Dorsett heavily featured, no Edelman, Edelman back, working Gordon in, no Michel). The INTs don't look good on paper but as we all know, 4 of those were deflected by his own team or the opposing d-line.

There's nothing wrong with his arm. There's no reason why he'd suddenly lose the mental aspect of the game. He threw for over 500 yards in the SuperBowl just 9 months ago.

Coaches need to turn down the volume on Brady's hearing aid because every little thump and grunt sounds like a jail break ambush to him. He's out their sparring with ghosts.

And someone should get word to Super G that if Brady could pass to himself, he would trip over his own feet.

One more?

Only because you asked

Brady needs to hit the weight room instead of playing grab-ass with his elastic band guy. Get big, feel tough, locate Hogan, launch a strike. Enough binky ball with the tiny one

Last edited:
Brady has always had a reputation of making average players look good. The fact that Gronk, Edelman, and Gordon have not been on the field together much should not be an excuse. He's won and played well with much less. The offensive line is another story though.
He's winning and playing pretty well now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes