PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Billy Volek that much of a downgrade for the Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
np: "Under Her Skin"

performed by Joker and backed by the New England Perfect Season Choir

People forget so quickly how bad things can go the other way too:p Just a few weeks ago, Volek came in for Rivers and...promptly threw an interception on his first pass attempt. He played against the Colts as a splendid BACKUP - substituting in and keeping the team alive. Before engineering that winning TD drive, Volek went three-and-out - curiously, no one seems to remember that. So I'll say again - Billy Volek is still currently a placeholder, despite the fact that he has shown he can be moderately effective in the NFL, whereas Rivers - whether because of his arm or because of the players around him - has had enough success to be a good starting QB choice.

So sure, if Rivers can't play I'll cheer Volek on, but there is no doubt that Rivers is the better QB. Sure, Volek would be "unpredictable", but average QBs are going to average be QBs no matter how hard it is to fathom what they're going to do. It's the coaching staff calling the plays anyhow. If any NE fans believe Volek will be a tougher challenge than Rivers, then I suppose it takes a little weight off our plate there, eh?:)

But to ignore the issues the Bolts went thru during the off season and ignore what the Bolts have come through to get to this point, I think, is pure folly. This is not the week 2 team and it's damn sure not the week 2 NE team. Key pieces on both teams have changed and/or been upgraded. In the Bolts case at QB, maybe even downgraded as I write this.

What issues? Team bus go off a cliff? Lightning strike the practice field?

No!! Your own ownership blew up the team for no reason!! Panic stop!!

You still have the same ownership, the stigma of firing the most successful regular season coach and the retread they got to replace him.

The same whining underachieving quarterback, the same Primadonna running back, the same overhyped roid head linebacker.

How have you improved? Because we beat that same team last year.

Are we worse?- with Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Adalius, Big Brady TEand much better safety depth and a years improvement on youn O + D lines?

I'd love to debate, but you need to bring something to the table.:bricks:

I'll admit that adding Igor Olshansky to your public relations department was a nice touch.

He certainly has a refreshing point of view.

What issues? Team bus go off a cliff? Lightning strike the practice field?

No!! Your own ownership blew up the team for no reason!! Panic stop!!

You still have the same ownership, the stigma of firing the most successful regular season coach and the retread they got to replace him.

This is incredibly lame. The "retread" that has won two playoff games while the "most successful regular season coach" won nothing? The "retread" that beat the Superbowl champion on their home field when it mattered? The Turner hiring has been vindicated and you look foolish bringing this issue up at this point.

Last edited:
People forget so quickly how bad things can go the other way too:p Just a few weeks ago, Volek came in for Rivers and...promptly threw an interception on his first pass attempt. He played against the Colts as a splendid BACKUP - substituting in and keeping the team alive. Before engineering that winning TD drive, Volek went three-and-out - curiously, no one seems to remember that. So I'll say again - Billy Volek is still currently a placeholder, despite the fact that he has shown he can be moderately effective in the NFL, whereas Rivers - whether because of his arm or because of the players around him - has had enough success to be a good starting QB choice.

So sure, if Rivers can't play I'll cheer Volek on, but there is no doubt that Rivers is the better QB. Sure, Volek would be "unpredictable", but average QBs are going to average be QBs no matter how hard it is to fathom what they're going to do. It's the coaching staff calling the plays anyhow. If any NE fans believe Volek will be a tougher challenge than Rivers, then I suppose it takes a little weight off our plate there, eh?:)

My point is, Volek is a proven winner in the NFL, and that can't be discounted.
I'm sure there will be some talent drop-off; but I don't think it's as much as you're making it out to be.
San Diego TRADED for Volek for a reason. They got him for insurance for Rivers if he spit the bit, so they obviously think highly of him.
I'm not sure anyone's saying they're the same guy in terms of talent, but in terms of STYLE, it's not a huge difference, and gameplanning for one or the other isn't going to be all that different.
That said, if you don't think Volek can come in and do the job, let me refer you to last week in Indianapolis.

For me, there's no question but that Rivers will play. By the way, he seemed to be walking just fine off the field in Indy.

Dude? We have no coaching turnover it's a whole different story. SD might have HFA. Think about it.

New England was undefeated. How exactly was SD going to get that HFA? Is your claim that Marty would have guided the Chargers to 16-0?

New England was undefeated. How exactly was SD going to get that HFA? Is your claim that Marty would have guided the Chargers to 16-0?

Marty is gone. Who cares. Norv replaced him and has surpassed Marty in just one season.

Last edited:
*cough* Tom Brady fourth string.

Not saying it's comparable, but was Brady fourth string for a reason?

If you haven't seen him it's just speculation.

Throw in Earl Morral and Jeff Hostetler for good measure.

and how many years was Brady a back up? ......
and how many years has Volek been a back up?

Volek is a career backup ... there is a difference.

Last edited:
I picked up Volek on my fantasy in 03 when he was lighting it up for a few weeks. That was the first thing I thought when he came in the game. With a week of practice he will be good. I will take him over Peyton Manning any day though.

Well this isn't a fantasy league. Manning has been a starter for many
years and has broken all kinds of records and will go down as one of
the best QBs to ever play the game.
To say you would take a career back up over Manning is not only absurd
but brings to question your sanity.

Billy Volek is undefeated in the post season. Can you say that about Manning?

Billy Volek is undefeated in the post season. Can you say that about Manning?

..... funny funny .... at least you could add a few :D:D after such a
statement .... some Charger fan might think you are serious. :)

you look foolish bringing this issue up at this point.

um, for some reason i remember you or a sd fan bringing up the coaching change as an excuse for a horrible start to the season. i think you need to do a little look at the first sentence of you post above.

I picked up Volek on my fantasy in 03 when he was lighting it up for a few weeks. That was the first thing I thought when he came in the game. With a week of practice he will be good. I will take him over Peyton Manning any day though.

Ok i dislike Manning almost as much as Tony "Quiet Strength" Dungy, but....

This is a litttttttle bit of a stretch. You can't take Volek over Manning.

..... funny funny .... at least you could add a few :D:D after such a
statement .... some Charger fan might think you are serious. :)

I am too interested in insulting Colts fans to worry about what a Chargers fan might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back