Interesting VR stuff to be used in FOX SB51 broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Some pretty cool sounding stuff. Too bad it won't actually end up being used in any useful way to illuminate what's really going on in the game:

Intel has installed 38 5K cameras high above the field at NRG Stadium in Houston, bolted onto the building’s metal structure. Pointed downwards, these cameras operate more like sensors, feeding visual data back to a rack of servers elsewhere inside the stadium. Working together, those servers can digitally reconstruct the 3D world of the game, representing real objects using 3D pixels, known as voxels. To reduce the data processing load—around one terabyte for a 15 to 30 second clip—during a game many of the features inside the stadium, including the field itself, are pre-rendered by the servers. Only moving objects like the players need to be added in real time.

When FOX sends a request—perhaps for a quarterback’s view from the pocket during a crucial play, or a linebacker’s view from the other side of the ball—two Intel staffers will take over. The system’s pilot will operate a virtual camera, choosing where and when to position the viewpoint in the 3D reconstruction. The navigator will package the visual feed from the pilot into a clip that can be relayed back to FOX. The whole process will take a couple of minutes, so don’t expect instant replays yet.

This year the system will be used to show fans what players see, but ultimately any viewpoint is possible. “Any player or referee on the field, you can have that view,” Hopper says. The league is unlikely to ever want to let fans see what officials see, because that would only fuel controversies over questionable calls, but Intel 360 Replay could eventually be used to help get decisions right.

New cameras elevate FOX's Super Bowl broadcast

Sounds awesome and I have an HTC Vive to view this but I don't see anywhere how to do it . . .

Sounds awesome and I have an HTC Vive to view this but I don't see anywhere how to do it . . .
i dont think its something we'll be able to do live. probably somthing they will put in the next madden as a preorder bonus.

Intel has installed 38 5K cameras high above the field at NRG Stadium in Houston, bolted onto the building’s metal structure. Pointed downwards, these cameras operate more like sensors, feeding visual data back to a rack of servers elsewhere inside the stadium. Working together, those servers can digitally reconstruct the 3D world of the game, representing real objects using 3D pixels, known as voxels. To reduce the data processing load—around one terabyte for a 15 to 30 second clip—during a game many of the features inside the stadium, including the field itself, are pre-rendered by the servers.

Hope the Houston Electric Company is a lot better at their jobs than the New Orleans Electric Company! :D

i dont think its something we'll be able to do live. probably somthing they will put in the next madden as a preorder bonus.

Interesting. Also interesting is the info on how this stuff is going to be used for live TV as per the thread starter.

I'd rather they focus on streaming an NFL game in 4k for once.

I did watch the NCAA Tournament live on my HTC Vive and it was amazing.

Some pretty cool sounding stuff. Too bad it won't actually end up being used in any useful way to illuminate what's really going on in the game:

New cameras elevate FOX's Super Bowl broadcast
th
I'm just afraid it'll get caught in the retractable roof...

I'd rather they focus on streaming an NFL game in 4k for once.

Some of the coaches and owners look disgusting enough in 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back