PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Tweet RE: Mac's Audibles

Not a coach but why would Henry let Leonard come in clean. If he had blocked Henry it looked like the play may have succeeded?

It could either be the verbiage or the fact that they’ve limited the playbook for Mac, so we are essentially running the same plays over and over and over again. The latter would be easy to pick up on film review.

I agree that the playbook has definitely been limited for Mac, and neither has he had the freedom to direct or just to call his own plays and we've see him chafe at these restrictions several times this season.

BB/McD are, however, taking the long view- they want him building on this, next season, instead of regressing.

I'd also throw into the mix that the Colts were the most-prepared team we faced all season.

Just a double dose of poison.

He either missed the block, the play call was HORRENDOUS, or the D changed it up, and Henry didn't adjust to the change.
I've been less than thrilled with what I feel are coaching lapses lately, especially vs the Bills.
Moving on to Jax, can't go back.

He either missed the block, the play call was HORRENDOUS, or the D changed it up, and Henry didn't adjust to the change.
I've been less than thrilled with what I feel are coaching lapses lately, especially vs the Bills.
Moving on to Jax, can't go back.
There have been a lot of HORRENDOUS play calls. Like anytime they have Bolden run between the tackles, or this play, a deep toss to him. Bolden is the worst at making tough yards through the LOS. He's been decent in space, on screens or quick passes in the flat.
But even I can sit on my couch and predict about 50% of the plays they're about to run based on personnel and formation. That's not good.

It could either be the verbiage or the fact that they’ve limited the playbook for Mac, so we are essentially running the same plays over and over and over again. The latter would be easy to pick up on film review.
That touch the helmet audible has always signaled switch to run even when Brady was here.

The idea is that you're light up front and whether you know it's a running play or not we have the bodies so we're going to run over you anyway.

This is a great point and would be important to fix so that Mac has the right tools to make adjustments that benefit the team.

And no worries, I know pape is a snowflake who loves NKeal Harry and can't handle any criticisms of the team. No need to discuss here.

This reminds me, didn't the Dolphins also figure out Brady's verbiage at the line a couple years ago. Wonder if that was ever fixed.

The 21-0 game when MIA LB bragged about it........

Kind of funny, because it was that exact point in the game where I thought they look like they know exactly what is coming. But when you think about it, Tony Romo usually does too and he isn’t deciphering audibles.

Not a coach but why would Henry let Leonard come in clean. If he had blocked Henry it looked like the play may have succeeded?
Making that side money, of course!! Dude has an extra mouth to feed now. o_O

I agree that the playbook has definitely been limited for Mac, and neither has he had the freedom to direct or just to call his own plays and we've see him chafe at these restrictions several times this season.

BB/McD are, however, taking the long view- they want him building on this, next season, instead of regressing.

I'd also throw into the mix that the Colts were the most-prepared team we faced all season.

Just a double dose of poison.
I don’t even know if it’s just a playbook being limited for Mac thing. Most games are called like we are trying to shorten the game and play like we have a lead and we really only go away from that if we are losing late and absolutely need to do get points and we are forced to be more aggressive. The downside is that’s made us very predictable and when you do the same thing week after week eventually there’s only so much you can do to disguise it before teams understand what’s up and adjust to be in a better position to execute

I don’t even know if it’s just a playbook being limited for Mac thing. Most games are called like we are trying to shorten the game and play like we have a lead and we really only go away from that if we are losing late and absolutely need to do get points and we are forced to be more aggressive. The downside is that’s made us very predictable and when you do the same thing week after week eventually there’s only so much you can do to disguise it before teams understand what’s up and adjust to be in a better position to execute

When Brady was here, and especially Edelman- every time we ran into trouble with opposing defense, McD would go really deep into the playbook. He'd just keep flipping the dial until something worked.

In our last Superbowl, vs. the Rams, McD went so deep into the playbook, he ended up calling for a hoss y juke with a 22 personnel! It was crazy seeing James Devlin, a FB, split out wide, but it worked.

We're not seeing that at all, this year.

we are essentially running the same plays over and over and over again.

I totally agree, and while offense was a concern early in the year, I think they've been doing ok. I heard they get points on 46% of their drives this year (which is like 3rd in the league).

Even in the second half, the Pats offense scored back to back TDs to make it a game again. The Bills were just better than us.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back