PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting quote from Gabriel RE: Playcalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
RayClay said:
Look at Tom's "body language" earlier in the season.

I think the play calling will be fine, although if BB and Brady get repetitive, there's no reason to expect McDaniels to provide a spark. Everything he knows about Pro Football comes from BB and Brady

The lack of an "uncle" between Brady and BB could hurt us. I think the pure logic of four decent receivers instead of 2 will save us this time.

It's insane to think Branch and Givens were far more talented than the group we have now. If anything, the total lack of competition gave them enough reps to improve rapidly.
I've been wondering if the biggest influence on play calling hasn't been Scarnecchi putting his O-line through their paces to develop them for the playoffs...

NEM said:
Do the names "Butch" Songin and Rommie Loudd mean anything to you? They were my teachers.
Early 1960s Pats.

If you prefer to PM me with your bio, feel free.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I've been wondering if the biggest influence on play calling hasn't been Scarnecchi putting his O-line through their paces to develop them for the playoffs...
Interesting.

Would the same school of thought lead one to guess that the answer to the much asked question around here last week: "Why was Maroney being contstantly run up the middle at the end of the miami game when it was clear it wasn't working?"(although some thought it worked just fine) would be, 'because the line and the rookie running back needed to work on the slow grinding clock-killin' skills'?

NEM said:
I cant think of one single person that would ask a question like that?
That's a statement, not a question.

Oops, did I forget me a smilie in the previous post? :eek:

Edit: Holy Cow, 4000 posts. I think I hear some work needing to get done. I'm ashamed.

NEM said:
Actually, it was a question

Would the same school of thought lead one to guess that the answer to the much asked question around here last week: "Why was Maroney being contstantly run up the middle at the end of the miami game when it was clear it wasn't working?"(although some thought it worked just fine) would be, 'because the line and the rookie running back needed to work on the slow grinding clock-killin' skills'?

If I am not mistaken, there is a question mark at the end of that "statement."

It really is not important though.
I was referring to your post, not mine. Check the quote.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Interesting.

FYI on coffee with the coach Monday on WEEI the fan question of the week was do we have two different blocking schemes we employ because of the different styles of Dillon and Maroney? I'll paraphrase but BB said no, we do not. He said that to do so would be just too confusing from a game management standpoint, and while we have different personnel packages and sets that are configured to do things differently all of the backs are responsible for running all of the plays in the game plan with whatever personnel package or set is sent in. So on 4th and 1 when the call is up the gut and move the pile and Maroney rather than Dillon is available he is expected to execute the play called. And if he is going to be the featured or every down back of the future he would have to, wouldn't he? But instead he danced. That is what players and coaches refer to as failure to execute. Although some disgruntled fans prefer to see it as lousy play calling. Although for that down and distance it is a pretty routine call and likely one of only a handful of viable plays to call.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Did you read the article linked? Maybe it's just me but it didn't come off as defensive to me in the spirit of the article.

After reading the article I tell you what - it didn't sound defensive to me but it did sound ever so slightly troubling - like a guy who a) didn't read the intake memo - you know, the one that starts out first off, STFU; and b) may not put much stock in subtle nuances and reading defenses. Hope he didn't spend too much time in Oakland with Randy in the Al Davis hey you, whats your name the QB, just throw the freakin ball and these receiver guys will go get it offense. :eek:

NEM said:
Again, none of it makes me any sort of an expert, but seeing as you asked....thats it in a nutshell...Of course I left some out...but thats a brief bio.
Thanks alot. That was a great read.

Anyway, we won the game, I think it was something like 13-10....

* Only 13 points? Must have been lousy play calling.

NEM said:
Actually, it was cold, rainy icy, muddy, etc... Was a damned good game.

Yeah, but only a 3 point win? That's not enough points, one big play or turnover and you could have lost the game. The playcalling should have put that game out of reach LONG before the final gun, but didn't. The playcalling sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back