Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If Bill Belichick had been hired by a different team in 2000, AND drafted Tom Brady, how many of the other 31 teams would have won 3 SBs by now, with just those 2 additions/changes?

I think Philly, Pitt, Denver, Baltimore (remember where they were in 2000, and what they lack), Tennessee, the Giants (they were in a SB in 2000) Tampa, Oakland (they were a good team at that point) are all reasonable guesses.

There are others that would have been needed to be elevated, but how many teams were further back than what BB took over?

From the 1999 team, the only players I can think of (and I'll miss a few) that were key to more than 1 of the titles were Law, McGinest, Bruschi, Brown, Vinatieri. (Again I may have missed someone)

I find it incredilble that the resources that BB inherited to go on and win 3 and counting SBs were probably less than any of the other teams in existence in the NFL at the time. Oh, and he inherited cap problems too.

Can you name any teams that had fewer good players as of 1/1/00 that were still around by 1/1/05?

Yes. I know. BB must have that one frame and hanging on the ceiling over his bed.

The Brady situation in NE was a Cinderella story: BB could afford to keep 4 QBs in 2000, had the insight to do so and get Brady the coaching he needed.
Then Bledsoe went down and Brady got the glass slipper. On a different team iit is unlikely that everything would pan out so fantastically. With the Raven's their D was so good , and WR's so bad, that TB may have been underutilized , even by BB.

I dont think it would have taken long for BB to dispatch any QB for Brady.
He was starting at some point in 2001 whether Bledsoe got hurt or not. Im now convinced of that.

The difference was that Bledsoe's injury paved the way for Brady to be on the field sooner.
Without that, we'd probably have 2 in a row and nothing else, so Bledsoe's injury, and the wonderful timing of it probably add one to the trophy case.

How many teams would BB have gone to where Brady wouldnt have been starting by 02 at the latest?

Green Bay because of Favre. Probably Indy, because Manning would have become BB-ized.
I'm struggling to think of more.

Minnesota would of probably been able to do it along with St Louis, Denver, JAX & Carolina. They all had decent owners and decent to very good talent. Just my 2 cents

How about the Rams? Could BB/Brady have turned them from what they were into a long term real football team?

id say the cards are one. BB would of gotten them a good OL... and look at the receiving corps they got there now... if they cards had brady and bb, not even the bears could stop their offense.

I think another interesting question is which of the CURRENT teams will have a good chance of going to the SB IF they have Brady (but without Belichick).

One team I think that will benefit is ... Dallas. If Brady plays for Dallas today (instead of Bledsoe), I believe they are going to the SB as the NFC representative. Dallas always seem to be on the cusp of winning games until Bledsoe fumbled the games away. Brady plays a cerebral game like Phil Simms and Parcells would have definitely loved to have Brady managing his team.

mikey said:
I think another interesting question is which of the CURRENT teams will have a good chance of going to the SB IF they have Brady (but without Belichick).

One team I think that will benefit is ... Dallas. If Brady plays for Dallas today (instead of Bledsoe), I believe they are going to the SB as the NFC representative. Dallas always seem to be on the cusp of winning games until Bledsoe fumbled the games away. Brady plays a cerebral game like Phil Simms and Parcells would have definitely loved to have Brady managing his team.

How about this one?
What would our SB record be if before the game we switched QBs with the other team?
Could also ask if we switched coaches, but thats kinda silly because coaching a champion is year long, not one day.

Please dont misconstrue this into a defend Bledsoe post; but I just that I think you overrate the rest of the Dallas team.

The first INT that set tone for the whole game was tipped at the upper reaches by the DL because an OL didnt maintain blocking and passing lane. And the DL were thrashing that OL all day. The kicker misses a 3 pter and MESHAWN (who until this game I was starting to think had grown up some) is there yelling screaming and berating him publicly. This in the 2nd quarter, when you might need that guy again later. That was a team effort at failure there.

And the last time they lost to Washington the Defense & ST gave up 14 pts in what 21 seconds. Can't exactly hang that on DB either.

Sure DB had some bad moments this season and cant compare to Brady; but he is decent and will retire with HOF #s; but the rest of that team would not be enough unless Brady taught the Def and ST to play with more diligence/passion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back