PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting claim: The Jets are more talented than the Patriots by a wide margin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty hard to argue the Pats receivers are better than the Jets' receivers from a "talent" perspective. At the same time, we've seen this year that Brady is better with a group of receivers that run hard routes on every play but don't have an established #1 he'll try to force it to. I wouldn't want a headcase like Edwards or Holmes who disappears when he isn't getting touches.

As easy as it is to hate Rex Ryan, IMO he doesn't get enough credit for a defense that really isn't that talented, has had a good amount of injuries but has remained near the top of the NFL. Jenkins is never healthy, so outside of Shaun Ellis (who's getting up there age wise) their D-line really isn't much. Without Leonhard, their safeties are terrible. Their corners are good but we all know how much of a liability Cromartie can be. They have two very good ILBs, but it'd be generous to call their OLBs average given the only way the Jets consistently get pressure is by blitzing safeties/ILBs. BB is probably gonna have fun exposing all those weaknesses, but that defense is really not extremely talented.

So that makes Light better than Ferguson?
I didn't say Light was better but even with Ferguson. During the regular season the Patriots had to face the San Diego Chargers defensive pass rush. In the meantime, the Jets had to face the Denver Broncos defensive pass rush without Dumervil. In essence, the Patriots offense faced the number one defense in the NFL while the Jets offense faced the worst defense in the NFL. This illustrates the discrepancy in uncommon games between the two teams and the level of competition played.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

I've watched both LT's play a decent amount of games and IMO Ferguson is clearly the better of the two at this point in there careers.
How is it then the Jets allowed more quarterback sacks with a more mobile quarterback than the Patriots?

There are more factors involved. There are other guys on the o-line, blocking backs, TE's, and probably most importantly the QB.

This season Light gave up 7 sacks and 35 QB pressures. Ferguson gave up 2 sacks and 16 QB pressures.
If the NY Jets are so much more talented than the New England Patriots explain the red zone offensive discrepancy between the Patriots and the Jets:

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage on TeamRankings.com

New England Patriots #4 ranking
New York Jets #30 ranking

There are more factors involved. There are other guys on the o-line, blocking backs, TE's, and probably most importantly the QB. Brady is more decisive and has better pocket presence. It's not even close.

This season Light gave up 7 sacks and 35 QB pressures. Ferguson gave up 2 sacks and 16 QB pressures.
Matt Light had to face the San Diego Chargers defense and Indianapolis Colts defense during the regular season while Ferguson had to face the Denver Broncos defense without Dumervil and the Houston Texans defense with Mario Williams playing with a sports hernia the entire season. In the two uncommon games this season, the Jets offense faced the 30th and 32nd ranked defenses in the NFL while the Patriots offense faced the 1st and 20th ranked defenses in the NFL.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

The only reason I commented in this thread was to disagree with someone who said Matt Light was better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
I never said Matt Light was better however Matt Light faced tougher competition during the regular season as evident by the two uncommon games on the schedule.

I don't understand why you think I'm arguing something I'm not. Or maybe you're purposely applying some argument to me that I've never made? Either way, I'm probably done responding to you.

The only reason I commented in this thread was to disagree with someone who said Matt Light was better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Ferguson is probably one of those guys that we might under-rate because OL is tough to pay attention to during games unless a guy is just getting whooped on. If you gave me the choice I would take Ferguson over Light.

You also have to figure in that he is playing next to Slauson who might not even be able to make the Pats roster.

Yeah fantastic, ones catching perfect passes from Brady the others are catching horrible throws from Sanchez
But I thought Sanchez was the Sanchise? The NY Jets traded a first and second round draft pick for the franchise!

You also have to figure in that he is playing next to Slauson who might not even be able to make the Pats roster.
Slauson might not even be able to make the Bears roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes