PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting BB comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of CC, but if he’s accurately quoting BB this is pretty impressive:

I really think — and (Bill) Belichick has told friends this — this will be his youngest, most talented and athletic team in the last several years.

Especially considering that over the last several years Belichick has taken those teams, that this one surpasses, to the Super Bowl five times.

Colin Cowherd Sums Up Patriots In Three Words Ahead of 2019 NFL Season

Last edited:
Well, assuming the quote is true and reasonably accurate, young/talented/athletic doesn't mean it's better. There are veteran plays that aren't made because the player is the fastest or the strongest, but because they've seen something before and know how to exploit it. How quickly this young and athletic team can get to that level of comfort will determine whether it's one of the good teams (which we always will be with this coach/QB) or one of the great teams.

It's what I saw as far as the defense. Offense, not quite as much.

All promising stuff and youth can definitely energize a team, but for BB, it's always been about health and depth.

Bill told Willie McGinest‏ off camera that he thinks this years defense will be better then last year. Willie then interviewed Bill on camera and brought that up the same day (Bill did not look happy)...and that video has since disappeared o_O

I’m not sure we’re seeing the full offense. I’ve always thought that during camp the point is evaluating players not winning games or situations. So Meyers may get plays called just to see what he can do, or what the guy covering him can do, when in a game the strategy would be entirely different.

Add that together with the apparent improvement to the defense that held the Rams to just a FG in the Super Bowl and we are likely getting a very distorted view of the offense.

I think the depth on defense is young but the starters aren’t. Both safety’s and our potential number two corner (JMac) are getting up there. The starting LB’s aren’t old but have definitely been around a while. The Dline is lead by Bennett who certainly isn’t young and the rest of the mix are veterans for the most part.

Finally, I get to draft the Pats fantasy defense and won’t be disappointed....

More often than not, the NEP have been more athletic and talented on defense than offense.

Honestly these type of quotes are starting to come from multiple people. As Zuma points out above:

I wouldn’t be surprised if BB thinks he has a 03-04 caliber defense on his hands & that’s where these paraphrased quotes are coming from. It doesn’t make sense offensively for him to feel that way.

BB always puts the heat back on himself..." I think if they get good coaching, they'll be alright"...Classic BB response .

The defense will be better at all three levels than it was last year.

D Line: Bennett and Pennel are an upgrade over Flowers and Brown. Wise Jr. is decent-solid on the other side at DE. Guy is solid. Throw in any contributions from Rivers and Winovich and it’s icing on the cake.

LB: Hightower and Van Noy return with the additions of Jamie Collins, Bentley and Sam. They have lots of options at LB now, something they haven’t had in recent years.

Secondary: They could be 4 deep at CB which is insane. They have lots of matchup options. Safeties are solid as usual.

Every year at this time, we think the Pats will have an aggressive and fast defense. By game 3, we are all complaining about how slow and old the D looks. And in February, they are in the SB...

The team looks young relative to other recent seasons because they've got a lot of drafted rookies, and 2nd year guys who were hurt last year. Many of us have been talking about the dearth of successful recent draft picks, so it would be great if these guys were to pan out.

Well, assuming the quote is true and reasonably accurate, young/talented/athletic doesn't mean it's better. There are veteran plays that aren't made because the player is the fastest or the strongest, but because they've seen something before and know how to exploit it. How quickly this young and athletic team can get to that level of comfort will determine whether it's one of the good teams (which we always will be with this coach/QB) or one of the great teams.
I assumed that “talented” included the mental acuity to process the speed of the pro game well, and to learn quickly from film and coaching. So the questions are whether they get good coaching, as Belichick pointed out, and whether the shortfall in experience is offset by the advantage in athleticism. I think the point is that the ceiling for this team is much higher than the ceiling of other teams in recent years. They have the potential to be a great team, as always it remains to be seen whether they reach their full potential.

Free future hot takes for our lazy mediots. Gratis

“BB the GM certainly stocked the shelves brilliantly for BB the Defensive Coordinator”

“Brady’s weapons? For some reason NE was $8 mill short to fill holes at WR, TE, and LT.
Ask Tom about that. I think I saw him in the parking lot with his new gold plated Bugatti”

Free future hot takes for our lazy mediots. Gratis

“BB the GM certainly stocked the shelves brilliantly for BB the Defensive Coordinator”

“Brady’s weapons? For some reason NE was $8 mill short to fill holes at WR, TE, and LT.
Ask Tom about that. I think I saw him in the parking lot with his new gold plated Bugatti”

What a tremendous vehicle!!!!

The koenigsegg without the governor though just might be better.

Withholding judgment until I see them play. The way they played in the SB was astounding and playoffs was crazy good so I'm not sure it's fair to compare them to that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft