Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you grade the Patriots 2023 draft?

• A: Great

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • B: Solid but unspectacular

Votes: 90 46.4%
  • C: Meh it's Mid

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • D: Poor, BB has gone off the reservation again!

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • F: Someone walk me off the ledge, I'm about to jump!

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Give it a B-

Carried by the Gonzalez pick.

Gonzales pick alone makes the draft no lower than a C for me. Initial reaction I give it a B-. Let's see how it goes

I really can’t get behind that kicker pick. I just have no way to rationalize trading up for a guy that you don’t need to trade up for, let alone a kicker. He needs to beat out Folk in camp, win the job and be good otherwise I just see it as a total head scratcher. Might as well have taken a shot at an offensive skill player or tackle.

Folk is poor at kickoffs and that's a problem. The Pats have been getting away with it because punter Bailey could kick off but he's gone. If this new kid demonstrates a strong leg for kickoffs AND field goal accuracy, cutting Folk saves money while solving a shortcoming.

this draft (and the player acquisition this off season) screams "I'm stubborn and talent on offense doesn't matter." let's hope this defense laden draft transforms the unit into one that can actually stop good quarterbacks... because if not we're in for a long season

this draft (and the player acquisition this off season) screams "I'm stubborn and talent on offense doesn't matter." let's hope this defense laden draft transforms the unit into one that can actually stop good quarterbacks... because if not we're in for a long season

Look on the bright side. You can use this draft as ammo for your negative takes and whining during the upcoming season. You're already off to a flying start.

I give it an A- though I am frustrated the Patriots did not address a glaring need at TE.

Gonzalez will start day one, White will be a rotational player from day one as well.
Not sure what to make of Marte Mapu but he seems to be a hybrid safety/LB who can hopefully cover TEs well.
Jake Andrews feels like a reach but David Andrews has been injured repeatedly and will be 31 to start the season.
Chad Ryland, no more short kick offs or missed PATs, best kicker in college football. Over drafted but fills a critical need.
Sidy Sow, second best RAS amongst guards in this draft, has the length to kick out to tackle, builds depth on the interior of the line and allows for Owenu to kick out to RT.
Antonio Mafi, mauler in the run game, physical and nasty, builds IOL depth and like Sow lets the Pats consider moving Owenu out to RT.
Kayshon Boutte, if he can bounce back from the ankle injury he is one of the best WRs in this class and they got him in the 6th round.
Bryce Barringer, ST/kicking game was abysmal last year, fills a clear need even if he was over drafted like Ryland.
Demario Douglas, no idea, shifty, roster fodder.
Ameer Speed, 6'3 4.33 40, old for a rookie at 26 but clearly an exceptional athlete.
Isaiah Bolden, also 4.33 40, exceptional athlete.

On the whole they added a ton of speed and athleticism and for the most part addressed positions of need in the short and long term. I'm still not sure how they're going to fix OT beyond hoping a better scheme and coaching will fix Brown and one of the Vets they signed can play RT. None of the TEs they have can block which limits how multiple they can be but maybe they find a UDFA to plug in as the blocking TE in 12 personnel.

Two thoughts:

BB has been pretty consistent over the years that if he is unsure of the players available he will throw volume at it as a solution. Usually that means 2-3 potentials among: draft, FAs, UDFAs. That he threw 2 draft at IOL and 1 at C (long-term position of need) —> he believes the C will displace DA within 2 years; but is just guessing at the linemen and hoping to get one.

re: trading up for K. Remember it only takes 1of 31 to lose “your guy”. It seems obvious this is only guy BB wanted.

So here was who was between our picks:
Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah
114. Carolina Panthers: Chandler Zavala, G, North Carolina State
115. Chicago Bears (from New Orleans Saints): Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas
116. Green Bay Packers: Colby Wooden, DT, Auburn
did one of them NEED a kicker?

Foulk was mr consistency for many years. But he lost that in extra pts last 2 years; and then ‘AvailABILITY’ is now startin to change too. Some may not see as Position OF NEED, but on this one ; I’ll put on my IBWT goggles.

Two thoughts:

BB has been pretty consistent over the years that if he is unsure of the players available he will throw volume at it as a solution. Usually that means 2-3 potentials among: draft, FAs, UDFAs. That he threw 2 draft at IOL and 1 at C (long-term position of need) —> he believes the C will displace DA within 2 years; but is just guessing at the linemen and hoping to get one.

re: trading up for K. Remember it only takes 1of 31 to lose “your guy”. It seems obvious this is only guy BB wanted.

So here was who was between our picks:

did one of them NEED a kicker?

Foulk was mr consistency for many years. But he lost that in extra pts last 2 years; and then ‘AvailABILITY’ is now startin to change too. Some may not see as Position OF NEED, but on this one ; I’ll put on my IBWT goggles.
Good point about Bill’s consistent approach of throwing multiple candidates at roster openings. That definitely seems to be happening across the entire OL. Your comment about C reminded me that he took Russey in the last draft, so it’s a position he’s clearly anticipating needing to fill in the not too distant future.

INstant reaction I would give it a B+

Sporting News not impressed, ranking us 29th. The good news is the JETE ranked 32nd.

29. New England Patriots
  • Grade: C-
Draft picks: CB Christian Gonzalez, DT Keion White, S Marte Mapu, C Jake Andrews, K Chad Ryland, G Sidy Sow, G Atonio Mafi, WR Kayshon Boutte, P Bryce Baringer, WR Demario Douglas, CB Ameer Speed, CB Isaiah Bolden
Analysis: The Patriots hit Gonzalez out of the park and also got their ideal defensive lineman in White. But then it was the typical "why?" and "who?" that's been the case of late under Bill Belichick, including too many offensive linemen, a kicker and a punter. At least Boutte keeps Day 3 from being a total repeat flameout.

Any news on the grades GMs gave to the Sporting News?

I'm conflicted, i like a lot of the picks but also think we still have needs at OT and TE. They obviously disagree but i would like to understand what they see at those positions.

I would have given it an A after day 2 but think I'll end at a B+. That 4th round wasn't great - trading up for a kicker and then the three interior linemen seems overkill. We pulled it back with some nice 6th rounders. I would have liked to have found a way to find an OT or TE but overall we got some highly ranked players at good value.

Best pick - Gonzalez obviously
Worst pick - Either trading up for a kicker or taking a 3rd o-lineman.
Favourite pick- Mapu. Really keen to see this guy play. Seems like a modern NFL defender.

Last edited:
Sporting News not impressed, ranking us 29th. The good news is the JETE ranked 32nd.

29. New England Patriots
  • Grade: C-
Draft picks: CB Christian Gonzalez, DT Keion White, S Marte Mapu, C Jake Andrews, K Chad Ryland, G Sidy Sow, G Atonio Mafi, WR Kayshon Boutte, P Bryce Baringer, WR Demario Douglas, CB Ameer Speed, CB Isaiah Bolden
Analysis: The Patriots hit Gonzalez out of the park and also got their ideal defensive lineman in White. But then it was the typical "why?" and "who?" that's been the case of late under Bill Belichick, including too many offensive linemen, a kicker and a punter. At least Boutte keeps Day 3 from being a total repeat flameout.

If the Sporting News reporter doesn’t know the drafted players, how can that person make a judgment?

Ask me again in 2-3 years.

The top two picks probably have as much chance of busting as the last two because the draft is at the end of the day a guess. It's not science or assurance - it's making somewhat educated guesses based on so many variables that the loss rate is worse than the win across the entirety of each draft every single year.

Surprised we used as many picks as we did..
This is one way to address the above. Furthermore, it also is an indicator that maybe there weren't trades available as both parties have to agree to have one happen. I don't have the statistics but it seemed that there was LESS wheeling and dealing league wide this draft. This may be the most picks the Patriots have ever used - and logically that would point to trying to trade and being unable versus the alternative that they just stubbornly didn't because 'BB sucks as a GM'.
For those criticizing failure to draft an OT: the Pats have several veterans on the roster, including Onwenu possibly playing tackle. I think one of the guards drafted also might have potential at tackle, but we'll see.
Team building has multiple phases, but the whiner line of Patriots haters cherry pick each in turn, polarize it, and then go to work vivisecting it in as graphic detail as possible to highlight every possible negative aspect. Free agency brought in several options, UDFA might bring in more, and summer cuts and pre-season trades also remain options as the team starts to take shape.
I get the distinct feeling our special teams are going to be a quantum better than last season
For as much as those same aforementioned whiners decry special teams during the team building phase each year as unnecessary to a team's success, how many games did special teams realistically lose last year 2? 3? Yes, coaching plays a role, but so do the players.

The potential of the draft, with the annual "swing for the fences" risk picks taken late (instead of early which has hurt the franchise in the past, but also helped them with 'may never play in the league' Gronk) give it some potential promise, but until we see these kids with their teammates and against other NFL competition, blended with their mental and physical potential, injury prone-ness, etc all of our prognostications are just that - picking lottery numbers and hoping they come up.

Went with a B overall grade based off of RAS.

Extra: Bill O'Brien- Hoss Juke. Interesting to see how he values positional values in empty concepts and mentally aligning our current roster.

Fair grade. Close to mine, fwiw.

Hoss Juke presentation here, right after Joe’s clip above. A bit of insight on why your Olinemen have to be able to move. Pass protection duty for Koppen is really hard.

Think of this in terms of why it was so hard for Matt Patricia last year.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back