PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

It's mind blowing to me... that a guy that has taken the team on his back in alot of big games, most recently in 2018 the 3 consecutive 3rd and 10s.. at KC, that Bill wouldn't offer him what he deserved.. absolutely mind blowing!! TB12 should have gotten 50 million a season.
Curran reported on this at the time, he said BB told Tom we can't pay you what we did last year, meaning, he had to take a pay cut, I think he said he could pay 15 million, Tom was rightly pissed and left, don't blame him. Curran did also say Bill thought Tom would take less and not leave and it surprised him. Dumb, that's all.

Of course the Bucs were happy with how he went out. He went out as a Buc.

Nobody has a clue how the Pats would have done with Brady in '20, but he was only one player and they could have made room for him. And he wasn't asking for top money even though he clearly earned that.

Bill's ego got in the way and he got caught with his pants down when he lost Brady. That move will be talked about forever. It was a huge blunder.

I'm a Pats fan and I wanted Brady to finish his career here, just as he wanted to. The fact that he didn't is sinful.
I don't think we would have had a super bowl team because of all the bad drafts but Tom should have retired with a Pats helmet.

I don't think we would have had a super bowl team because of all the bad drafts but Tom should have retired with a Pats helmet.
The funny thing is, Brady leaving and winning a ring was the only thing that could improve his legacy and hurt Bill's. Winning without Bill was the only thing left. And Bill could have prevented it and chose not to.

The funny thing is, Brady leaving and winning a ring was the only thing that could improve his legacy and hurt Bill's. Winning without Bill was the only thing left. And Bill could have prevented it and chose not to.
I guess Bill didn't think that far ahead.

Curran reported on this at the time, he said BB told Tom we can't pay you what we did last year, meaning, he had to take a pay cut, I think he said he could pay 15 million, Tom was rightly pissed and left, don't blame him. Curran did also say Bill thought Tom would take less and not leave and it surprised him. Dumb, that's all.
Exactly, Brady was the most humble super star ever! He constantly took less for the great good of the team. Yes, he had every right to be pissed even though we lost in the wildcard, he was 24-8 with a 12-4 season, coming fresh off a superbowl. If AB kept it together that season we win again in 2019! Your absolutely correct just plain dumb he couldn't retire a patriot

i would think a lot of tb fans would have rather seen him going out the way he actually went out.
he would have been unhappy if he signed for more years and the pats would have been almost as ****ty as they were without him because they had no $ in 20 to improve the team around him (which appeared to be his frustration in 2019). instead,he goes to a team with a lot of talent that mostly needed a good qb and had a ****ty hc and he wins a sb. i would think that people who really care about him and his legacy as a player would love that for him more than watching him be unhappy.

they had money to improve the team around him. or it would've been one down year and back to it. the cap is fake. its a lie Bill told the media to cover up for his poor drafting/free agency signings.

bucs went all in on brady and fans here said "wait and see!" and here they are in the playoffs. meanwhile we are 4-13 after our "reset year" and having to let go of brady because we apparently couldn't pay him.

i would think a lot of tb fans would have rather seen him going out the way he actually went out.
he would have been unhappy if he signed for more years and the pats would have been almost as ****ty as they were without him because they had no $ in 20 to improve the team around him (which appeared to be his frustration in 2019). instead,he goes to a team with a lot of talent that mostly needed a good qb and had a ****ty hc and he wins a sb. i would think that people who really care about him and his legacy as a player would love that for him more than watching him be unhappy.

Of course the Bucs were happy with how he went out. He went out as a Buc.

Nobody has a clue how the Pats would have done with Brady in '20, but he was only one player and they could have made room for him. And he wasn't asking for top money even though he clearly earned that.

Bill's ego got in the way and he got caught with his pants down when he lost Brady. That move will be talked about forever. It was a huge blunder.

I'm a Pats fan and I wanted Brady to finish his career here, just as he wanted to. The fact that he didn't is sinful.
Both perspectives are valid. As a Pats fan it is disappointing that Brady did not finish with the team. The reality is that a lot of things need to play out for an all time great to finish his career with the same team. Between the roster and cap needing to be reloaded combined with his irritation with BB/contract situation Brady saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave. He probably realized that he would have been miserable if he stayed with the Pats. The team on the other hand, was not prepared to replace him. Because he was caught with his pants down BB attempted to manage the perceptions around Brady leaving instead of starting a rebuild which set in place the series of events that gets us to the Mayo era.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back