PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In Boston Sports History, Where Does This Rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats1989

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Where does it rank with Boone, Buckner, SB 42, Dent, game 6 vs Chicago in 2013 SCF, Junior Junior Sky hook, too many men, and game 7 in LA in 2010?

Last edited:
Your list is incomplete without the junior, junior skyhook.

Where does it rank with Boone, Buckner, SB 42, Dent, game 6 vs Chicago in 2013 SCF, and game 7 in LA in 2010?

Hard to rank these. Buckner and Boone sting a lot less now for obvious reasons. The B’s just won a cup and had and epic gm 7 comeback against the Maple Leafs. I was over this one last night.

I’ll go with SB losses in order of pain.
1. the last game of the 2007 playoffs
2. SB20
3. SB46
4. Last night
5. 1996

Where does it rank with Boone, Buckner, SB 42, Dent, game 6 vs Chicago in 2013 SCF, and game 7 in LA in 2010?
football itself is more important to me. A lost repeat is tough.

I would say 86 Sox sucked because of the long long WS drought. SB42 is the worst of them all... I was actually very upset about the Bruins melt down in 13. Celts game 7 2010 was very hard because we lost a decent lead down the stretch.

But Patriots trumps all for me

It wouldn't rank with any of those. The closest Super Bowl it is to is 96. It's hard to be that mad when you realistically didn't play well enough to win or to have a chance to win. And at the end of the day, I've watched football my entire life. You drop 41 points, you don't get to feel entitled to win. Period.

This was easier than most Patriots playoff losses. It was like the 2013 Broncos. Yeah we lost, but honestly we needed a miracle to have a chance.

I'm not a Red Sox or Celtics fan, but it was certainly a lot less devastating than the 2013 SCF. Probably on par with the 2005 loss to the Broncos, the 2011 Super Bowl, or the 2013 AFCCG. Not as bad as the 2012 or 2015 AFCCG (but only because I hate Manning and the Broncos much more than the Eagles), nowhere near the 2007 Super Bowl or the 2006 AFCCG or the 2013 SCF.

There's no reason they won't be able to get back next year, other than the usual caveat that it's difficult to win the Super Bowl.

For that sheer lasts a lifetime overwhelming FML nausea moment it's still hard for me to get past Bucky F Dent or the too many men call on the B's in game 7 vs Montreal but the helmet catch comes close. Last night is particularly painful because, like '07, our guys were so close to a slice of football immortality. This blow is cushioned by a couple of things though. For me everything since XLIX has been gravy and I have little doubt the Pats will win #6 before the end of this run happens.

This loss hurts less than losing to the Lakers in Game 7 of 2010.

I have never been so crushed by a defeat as I was from the Boone HR in 2003. While I do not believe time heals all wounds, winning certainly does. 2004 did a lot to heal 2003's misery.

Yesterday's heartbreak goes away if the Patriots win another Super Bowl (which I believe they will once again contend for). But if last night really was the end, it will be a bitter pill to swallow.

Idk, but I know this loss pisses me off the most just because of how it happened. I'm not upset, or depressed, just pissed.

While this one hurts it does not reach the level of many of the other games mentioned. The Pats were behind almost the entire game and while they played poorly they did not "blow" it like the 1978 Sox did in the regular season (then the Dent game), the 86 and 2003 Sox blew games late that they should have won. The 2007 Pats were going for immortality and were just a play or 2 away from winning it so that one was much worse.

It wouldn't rank with any of those. The closest Super Bowl it is to is 96. It's hard to be that mad when you realistically didn't play well enough to win or to have a chance to win. And at the end of the day, I've watched football my entire life. You drop 41 points, you don't get to feel entitled to win. Period.

This was easier than most Patriots playoff losses. It was like the 2013 Broncos. Yeah we lost, but honestly we needed a miracle to have a chance.
But that’s the thing. We had the ball with 2:21 and a timeout left, and they hadn’t stopped us all day. Even with how awful the defense played, we were in the perfect “the team that has the ball last wins” scenario for a high scoring game, and a great play by brandon graham to strip sack brady ended that.

We shoulda been able to watch brady drive down for the game winner and run the clock out in the process, and one play changed history. Thats why this one is gonna sting for a long time for me

But that’s the thing. We had the ball with 2:21 and a timeout left, and they hadn’t stopped us all day. Even with how awful the defense played, we were in the perfect “the team that has the ball last wins” scenario for a high scoring game, and a great play by brandon graham to strip sack brady ended that.

We shoulda been able to watch brady drive down for the game winner and run the clock out in the process, and one play changed history. Thats why this one is gonna sting for a long time for me
Our defense dropped 41 points. If you win after that you consider it a blessing. No team deserves to win after that. Period. Maybe Brady has some magic in him. But let's be real, 41 points on the board in a game where your offense never punted is all that needs to be said.

Our defense dropped 41 points. If you win after that you consider it a blessing. No team deserves to win after that. Period. Maybe Brady has some magic in him. But let's be real, 41 points on the board in a game where your offense never punted is all that needs to be said.
well it was a shootout, someone has to win the shootout. I highly doubt philly fans are considering it a blessing that they won despite giving up 600 yards and 33 points on defense without forcing a single punt.

Your dream in a shootout scenario is to have the ball last with a chance to win and run out the clock, and that’s exactly what the pats had. That strip-sack is gonna haunt me for a long long time

The final score of this game couldve easily been 39-38 or 41-38 pats without that one singular defensive play in the entire game. I’ll even say it was highly likely

Where does it rank with Boone, Buckner, SB 42, Dent, game 6 vs Chicago in 2013 SCF, Junior Junior Sky hook, and game 7 in LA in 2010?

For me, in order of pain:

1: 2007 Pats loss to Giants. By far.
2: 2003 Aaron Boone game.
3: 1978 wild card Game
4: Pats v Colts 2006 AFC championship, Colts comeback.

somewhere below the top 10: Last night.

well it was a shootout, someone has to win the shootout. I highly doubt philly fans are considering it a blessing that they won despite giving up 600 yards and 33 points on defense without forcing a single punt.

Your dream in a shootout scenario is to have the ball last with a chance to win and run out the clock, and that’s exactly what the pats had. That strip-sack is gonna haunt me for a long long time

The final score of this game couldve easily been 39-38 or 41-38 pats without that one singular defensive play in the entire game. I’ll even say it was highly likely

Doesn't matter. It's football. You drop 41 points you don't deserve to win. It's just as likely they go three in out or get stopped. Or picked. We got the lead and let the other team drive for 7 minutes killing the clock and scoring.

Quite frankly, that is more of a ringing endorsement of how great Brady has been for us all these years, then an argument for why this game was a heartbreak.

No other fanbase IN THE WORLD would have been quite that confident with their QB having the ball down 6 points with 2 minutes to play.

This isn't a heartbreak game. This is a team that got as far as its talent would take it and relied on a Brady comeback to win the AFCCG, and got beat by the better team. I agree with the 96 Superbowl as a comp. The Eagles were a machine this year. We lost to the better team. We did well to be in with a chance in the last minute

I have never been so angry about a sporting event.

For me BB era:

The difference in the first 3 is we should have won. Last night the D was worse than the Baltimore 09 game. Didn't deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back