PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Important year for 2019 draft class

Status
Not open for further replies.

farn

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know many on here have been down on BB drafts. There is no question some years have been more successful than others. In a twist, though, with Brady moving on, the 2020 season will be more reliant on last year’s draft than I had originally projected.

If Stiddy is the starter, and does well (that is no sure thing, but he might get the nod) the entire perception of the 2019 haul changes. If Harry and he have chemistry that adds some pop to the selections. Finally, if one the OL turn out to be productive, we have a pretty good class. I think Winovich and Bailey are on track for “good value/production” at their respective slots.

I admit there are many ifs, but the change in QB could truly change the perception of the 2019 draft.

Patriots' NFL draft class of 2019 has chance to provide needed boost

Interested to see Harris. Wonder if they’ll ultimately keep Burkhead...

Interested to see Harris. Wonder if they’ll ultimately keep Burkhead...
Many were down on the fact that Harris was a no-show in 2019. However (1) many RBs in NE have had impact in years 2-3-4 (White, Vereen) ; (2) they had many other RBs on the roster (3) the OL, hopefully, will be better in 2020.

Might be wishful, but I believe Harris is going to figure more prominently in upcoming seasons.

Chance to shine for them all.....I hope two or three make the grade

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...
Of course ! But this is offseason, Covid boredom time. Speculation is entertainment. I’m not saying this will equate to early 90s Cowboys or that Canton is calling.

However, there is a real chance the 2019 draft will have yielded the following for the upcoming season:

starting QB
starting LB
starting P
starting WR
situational RB
first swing OT

If Burkhead continues to stick around, he really must have pictures of BB that doesn’t want released.

I think the 2019 draft could be a key draft for the Pats. I pretty much liked EVERY pick except for trading up for SlowJuan Williams, our typical 2nd round f@ckup pick for a bust DB.

The only other negatives were not drafting a pass catching TE and not double dipping at WR. I think Harry is going to be a good WR, but we need a speed receiver/return man type player. We needed Mecole Hardman, who of course was selected with a pick owned by the Pats, which we traded up to draft SlowJuan Williams. As if that move didn’t piss me off enough.

That being said, the 2019 draft netted us a starting QB, two talented (and highly thoughtful of) Olinemen, a good WR prospect, a good pass rusher, A good young punter, a depth RB who’s used to sharing carries and could start. I even like the DT Cowart, who has a lot of talent and was highly recruited.

If Burkhead continues to stick around, he really must have pictures of BB that doesn’t want released.
I don't understand...other than missing games, Burkhead's been very productive whenever he's been active, and provides the run/pass versatility neither White nor SoreKnee really provide.

I don't understand...other than missing games, Burkhead's been very productive whenever he's been active, and provides the run/pass versatility neither White nor SoreKnee really provide.

It's the missing games part.

I actually really like him; if he was durable I think he could be the top option. But being so fragile means they have to practically keep him on a snap count, and he still gets banged up. At that point, is a RB you only use sparingly worth several million dollars a season?

Many were down on the fact that Harris was a no-show in 2019. However (1) many RBs in NE have had impact in years 2-3-4 (White, Vereen) ; (2) they had many other RBs on the roster (3) the OL, hopefully, will be better in 2020.

Might be wishful, but I believe Harris is going to figure more prominently in upcoming seasons.
Good timing to have a power back come off of essentially a red-shirt year but with no injuries or wear and tear right as you suddenly will most likely start to lean on your running game a lot more.

Good timing to have a power back come off of essentially a red-shirt year but with no injuries or wear and tear right as you suddenly will most likely start to lean on your running game a lot more.
We could've used leaning on it this past year too...Still was a wasted pick...

We could've used leaning on it this past year too...Still was a wasted pick...
Might be a wasted pick... but people also said that about Vereen and White. Both of those figured prominently in SB wins. And, in the end, winning is everything. Not close to branding Harris a waste. If that turns out to be the case, so be it. But there is precedent that a PaTs RB comes up huge a few years after being labelled “a waste”.

I think the 2019 draft could be a key draft for the Pats. I pretty much liked EVERY pick except for trading up for SlowJuan Williams, our typical 2nd round f@ckup pick for a bust DB.

The only other negatives were not drafting a pass catching TE and not double dipping at WR. I think Harry is going to be a good WR, but we need a speed receiver/return man type player. We needed Mecole Hardman, who of course was selected with a pick owned by the Pats, which we traded up to draft SlowJuan Williams. As if that move didn’t piss me off enough.

That being said, the 2019 draft netted us a starting QB, two talented (and highly thoughtful of) Olinemen, a good WR prospect, a good pass rusher, A good young punter, a depth RB who’s used to sharing carries and could start. I even like the DT Cowart, who has a lot of talent and was highly recruited.
I sometimes wonder how much better our drafts would have been if BB were contractually prohibited from picking a defensive back in round 2.

Might be a wasted pick... but people also said that about Vereen and White. Both of those figured prominently in SB wins. And, in the end, winning is everything. Not close to branding Harris a waste. If that turns out to be the case, so be it. But there is precedent that a PaTs RB comes up huge a few years after being labelled “a waste”.
The pick wasn't a waste because of Harris' talent...in fact if one only looks at where he was taken - and not by whom he was taken - it's a very good pick...The pick was a waste because we didn't need him relative to our needs at other positions where comparable talent was still available, a fact proven by Bill himself...

The pick wasn't a waste because of Harris' talent...in fact if one only looks at where he was taken - and not by whom he was taken - it's a very good pick...The pick was a waste because we didn't need him relative to our needs at other positions where comparable talent was still available, a fact proven by Bill himself...
I don’t think BB has or should “draft only for this season”.

Need vs value is always a consideration. I like you, captain stone. I hate Covid.

Not sure why people in this thread are saying JoeJuan is a bust already. He got buried on the depth chart because we've had a historically good CB group. All four CBs in front of JoeJuan were Pro Bowl calibre CBs, with one being the DPOY.

I have less faith in N'Keal Harry, honestly. Could be the biggest draft bust since Chad Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back