PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Importance Of Preseason Games To the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that preseason game are of almost no value to the team, especially if they have joint practices with coaches that they can reasonably work with.

I see some value in that players who have been injured get some more reps.

For me, any advantage is outweighed by the possibility of injury. As many of us say each week, the goals of each preseason game is the same: no injuries, no injuries, no injuries.

I suppose there is one other use, to use the preseason games as Practice Squad tryouts. Of course, this applies just as much to the players from both teams.

I think there really do exist players who perform differently on the practice field and the game field (of course, preseason vs regular season is its own distinction). Jimmy G looked pretty damn mediocre his rookie camp but had some exciting preseason games.

It's one thing to practice situational work in a highly controlled environment, and I suppose that's what scrimmages are for to an extent, but I think the unpredictability of the format a game takes is a different challenge from practice.

I disagree. I like watching preseason games. If they scrap preseason games I won't get to see anything.

If they didn't have preseason games you would have some ugly sloppy games in the first couple weeks of the season.

I changed the title. Preseason games are worth something to the very bored fans.

I disagree. I like watching preseason games. If they scrap preseason games I won't get to see anything.

As will likely happen after the next contract is signed, we should move to 2 preseason games. Two weeks of joint practices and games is probably enough (certainly for the patriots). We might increase the number of camp days and camp 2 a days.
======
yes, there would be more sloppy games. I would note that the patriots treat the first 4 games as essentially preseason games. Some would say that Belichick treats the first half of the season in that manner.

If they didn't have preseason games you would have some ugly sloppy games in the first couple weeks of the season.

I changed the title. Preseason games are worth something to the very bored fans.
Hold on? You expect me to take the word of clickbaiters over my own eyes? This has nothing to do with being a "very bored fan". You expect me to trust the media? I need to see the players play myself to get a sense of what's really happening.

So being interested in or having understanding of the value of preseason games is about being bored?..

yes, there would be more sloppy games. I would note that the patriots treat the first 4 games as essentially preseason games. Some would say that Belichick treats the first half of the season in that manner.
Some people use Training Camp and Preseason games to work on their posts, you know.

I think a game is always a better evaluation tool compared to a limited contact practice. A defensive lineman cannot pressure a QB in practice when contact is not allowed. A WR in shorts and shells is not the same as full pads.
I do agree that injuries are something to avoid, but I am not sure that the 'velvet glove' treatment is the way to avoid them. It always seems like the beginning of the season is when most of the injuries occur. I think some of these are from the lack of contact during training camp.

I would think if you are going to have these pre season games then they should be with teams / coaches that can set limits as to what level of contact is acceptable.....of course they are going to hit each other but no point in having joint practices with teams that hate each other !!!

Pre season games are great for fans who love the off tackle play variations.

Football is dangerous. Derwin James looks out for extended time. That hurts Chargers. Lots & lots.

I think that preseason game are of almost no value to the team, especially if they have joint practices with coaches that they can reasonably work with.

For me, any advantage is outweighed by the possibility of injury. As many of us say each week, the goals of each preseason game is the same: no injuries, no injuries, no injuries.

I suppose there is one other use, to use the preseason games as Practice Squad tryouts. Of course, this applies just as much to the players from both teams.
There is value in seeing youngsters in real live action.

I would think if you are going to have these pre season games then they should be with teams / coaches that can set limits as to what level of contact is acceptable.....of course they are going to hit each other but no point in having joint practices with teams that hate each other !!!
With very few players that are exceptions to the rule teams and players don’t fare each other. More opponents are friends than enemies.

First of all not all teams have joint practices. Second, Bill Belichick watches every preseason game so there must be some value to the team otherwise I don’t think the GOAT of coaches would spend his time on it.

This post thread is silly, preseason games are part of every sport in the world, that should tell you all you need to know about the importance of them.

It can be good practice for the officials, cameramen, producers, stadium announcers, beer guys, too.

It can be good practice for the officials, cameramen, producers, stadium announcers, beer guys, too.
Good for the kids trying to get autographs, too.

There's some value in pre-season though:

1.) Ticket sales. Yes, the tickets are dirt cheap because season ticket holders are unloading them for anything they can get to subsidize what they spent for 10 tickets in total. Owners make their money regardless. It's 2 gate receipts a season...at Gillette that's about 120K people paying at least $100 per head or 12 million bucks. I think Bob Kraft likes that money.

2.) The 4 game pre-season is a negotiating chip for the owners and the players for the next CBA. Players might want less pre-season, but might have to give owners 18 games. So, I think it sticks around for a while...maybe a 3 game pre-season in the next CBA.

3.) The dress rehearsal aspect of it has a lot of value. Everybody gets to walk through their roles from the fans to stadium personnel to team personnel to players to announcers to TV/Radio/Media people to Traffic cops....

4.) It has some pass rush evaluation value. Sure the OT's might be third string and the QB is a journey man..but it is the first time players can hit a QB. Ditto for run blocking and/or any non-skill position trench play. During practices you get the feel that the trench guys are going 65-75% only...

5.) Belichick does allow his assistants to call plays during pre-season too.

6.) I like pre-season ball. The first three games at least...but yeah I think we should limit it to 3 games and ditch the HOF game or make the HOF have its game in PS week 2 or something. Week 1PS: Run out your 2nd/3rd stringers. Week 2PS: The dress rehearsal...have your starters play a half...vanilla schemes though. Week 3PS: Injured guys getting their reps in, bubble guys getting their shot to show up on ST's, and etc....then just start the season. That's just me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back