PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm still proud of Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, after reading through the mind numbing contrarian responses to the OP, I'm certain my IQ has slipped enough to qualify me as a J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS fan. I can now state with complete certainty that footballs are made with horsehide and herringbone stitches, TV wrestling is real, and Norman Einstein is a football genius. I'd better get my crayon resume into ESPN before this wears off...

Matt Cassell is the answer if you need only 17 to 19 points per game. Two or three fg plus a td is all he can give you. If you need more than one td he is not your guy.

BINGO! We have a winner!!! This is the most thought out post I have read yet on this subject.

cassell actually grew up like 5-10 minutes away from where i live..i hope he quits & moves back so i can egg his house haha but in all honesty if he has trouble scoring vs the dolphins defense imagine how he'll do vs the elite teams..hes not the QB u want if ur down. he gets very nervous under pressure & starts makin boneheaded moves

As has been said many times before, Matt Cassel didn't allow Brown to score four rushing TDs, etc., etc.

But let's face facts: when Brady went down, your first thought was probably "there goes the #%@@ing season."

So far, Cassel's led us to two more wins than a lot of people here would have figured. And, last I checked, he didn't blow the whistle on the "in the grasp" call, and he sure as heck didn't let Ronnie Brown score four TDs, or let Pennington get 100+ yards on his first eight pass attempts.

Yeah, sometimes he tries too hard, and sometimes he misses potentially great plays. But he's playing about as well as any of us could expect, if not better, given how he played this preseason.

In other words: he's still our quarterback this season, and I'd still rather have Cassel than anyone else.

trouble with this arguement is that Cassel is affecting the team's morale.
They have no confidence in him, you can see it in their attitudes. He makes them nervous, they f**k up, plain to see .I watched last night's game on CBS
and you just know that when we have to run the ball because he's not up to
passing we will make very few yards, we have to pass, the opposition know that running isn't an option for us and can concentrate on the pass. Never seen quite so many dropped passes as we have made this season (so far).
Balls that stuck last season are going down this season. The Pats were woeful last night, not all Cassel's fault of course . We need a decent running back as well, what we have available isn't great. I thought LaMont Jordan made a lot of difference against the Jets, he was injured yesterday and we were clueless.

Sorry to pull a TO here, but "He's my Quarterback"

Of course I'm proud of him. Who I'm not proud of today are the players who quit on the team yesterday, A.K.A. everyone except Cassel, Welker, Hobbs, Gaffney, and Faulk. (I reserve the right to forget someone else who tried)

Sorry to pull a TO here, but "He's my Quarterback"

Of course I'm proud of him. Who I'm not proud of today are the players who quit on the team yesterday, A.K.A. everyone except Cassel, Welker, Hobbs, Gaffney, and Faulk. (I reserve the right to forget someone else who tried)

I'd say that the ST folks have (almost) nothing to be ashamed of--they did exactly what they were supposed to do and then some. (That includes folks like Guyton, Ventrone, and Slater.)

I might have a chance with Matt!

Brady was out of my league....

As has been said many times before, Matt Cassel didn't allow Brown to score four rushing TDs, etc., etc.

But let's face facts: when Brady went down, your first thought was probably "there goes the #%@@ing season."

So far, Cassel's led us to two more wins than a lot of people here would have figured. And, last I checked, he didn't blow the whistle on the "in the grasp" call, and he sure as heck didn't let Ronnie Brown score four TDs, or let Pennington get 100+ yards on his first eight pass attempts.

Yeah, sometimes he tries too hard, and sometimes he misses potentially great plays. But he's playing about as well as any of us could expect, if not better, given how he played this preseason.

In other words: he's still our quarterback this season, and I'd still rather have Cassel than anyone else.

While I agree that he might be one of the better available options, I think the front office should have foreseen brady getting injured at some point in his career and had a better contingency plan.

as for the rest ....
I disagree. I think everything Cassel has done so far this season has been mediocre. Even some of his completions are results of great receiver play. He cannot avoid a rush whatsoever and cannot find the open receiver when pressure is heavy.

While I agree that he might be one of the better available options, I think the front office should have foreseen brady getting injured at some point in his career and had a better contingency plan.

Are you seriously trying to claim that the most fastidious organization in the NFL didn't think about the possiblility of their starting quarterback getting hurt? The same organization that saw a previous starting quarterback almost die (by some accounts) of an internal injury just made a "whoopsie"?

I am implying that they didn't do a very good job of it :singing: seriously tho, I don't think Cassel is a good quarterback. I look around the league and can only think of the Vikings and probably bears as teams who are worse off than us as far as quarterback options go.

Kevin O'Connell
or
Jeff Garcia (if they want to salvage the season)[/quote]

Get over it ! The best they can do this year is Cassel. BTW, this season he still has a QB rating of 87. And he is completing more passes at a 67% rate and has twice as many TDs as Ints. Grow up.

That is better than many starting QBs. With more game experience he will get better.

Last edited:
Look around the league - Griese is a bum, sure, but he threw for 400+ yds and won the game for his team despite 3 picks. JT O'Sullivan had a 123 passing rating, Matt Ryan had a 120, Trent Edwards threw for 280 yds, Frerotte 190, they all won. Bad, young, rookies, or whatever, they all outpassed Cassel by a wide margin.

We got 130 yds from Cassel in a game we trailed big time. 130 yds! That's so pathetic it represents no kind of achievement at all, none. The sad part is that was he barely any worse or better than game 1 or 2, that's the really scary part. Cassel had one INT but it could/should have been 3.

He stinks, he can't move in the pocket for crap, NEVER looks more than 5-8 yds downfield, is stiff more than he's natural, misses wide open guys, rarely seems to read the D and change to a better play.

Do you think for a minute we could beat SD, Dallas, Denver, GB, Jax, Indy? Cripes we will be life and death to beat Buffalo with Cassel, sorry dude.

I advise you to jump off the bandwagon and go root for a good team like the Jets. They have a future HOF QB, and it makes all the difference, doesn't it?

That is better than many starting QBs. With more game experience he will get better.

And he finally gets a short training camp week as the #1. That will make or break him. The rookie QB's/first time starters out there - most of them spent training camp as the starter.

I think I understand the gist of what the OP is trying to say, but I think he's using the wrong word to describe his feelings on the matter. It's one thing to say you stand by and root for whomever suits up behind center wearing a Pats jersey... it's our team, we should support them through thick and thin... I get that.

But to say you're PROUD of Cassel? What exactly is there to be proud of? That in 3 games, he played adequate enough to win 2 of them, and only shat the bed in one of them? Is that supposed to be good enough? This just shows how incredibly low the bar has been set for this guy. The simple fact is that he was utterly inadequate as a QB on Sunday and well below league average, regardless of the D's performance. If we're satisfied with that, then fine. But to say we're "proud" of him is a huge stretch.

I am implying that they didn't do a very good job of it :singing: seriously tho, I don't think Cassel is a good quarterback. I look around the league and can only think of the Vikings and probably bears as teams who are worse off than us as far as quarterback options go.

You do realize this is not baseball and a roster is somewhat limited due to salary cap restrictions. What price do you place on a capable starting QB willing to serve as a back-up for an indefinite period of time? Do you actually think Brady is going to restructure to bring in a more capable, veteran back-up? He has been selfless to help better the team on both sides of the ball, but sacrificing salary to better the team in his absence would be a stretch.

Take a good, hard look at Miguel's salary cap page, look at the salaries good talent demands, and enlighten us all as to what solid back-up will come in for the money this team has to spare or let us know who to start cutting.

There are trade-offs that need to be made in a successful organization, and frankly given the nearly 7 season streak Brady had as starting QB, you would have the Patriots sacrifice overall team quality to park a backup behind Brady for essentially a career in the NFL. Either that or send Brady an angry e-mail accusing him of being discourteous for failing to notify the team prior to the start of the season that he intended to go down with a season ending knee injury so we could find this high quality backup a visionary such as yourself would have procured to account for such an eventuality.

Last edited:
I advise you to jump off the bandwagon and go root for a good team like the Jets. They have a future HOF QB, and it makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Good grief, I don't think being a hardcore Patriots fan since the early 70's counts as being on, or off, the bandwagon. So chill out friend.

the thread was titled "I'm still proud of Cassel," the nature of my reply was in response to the idea of thread title. I hope I'm wrong about Cassel, but right now he stinks, 1 TD + 1 INT and 130 yds on 33 attempts (plus two dropped INTs) against a pedestrian defense is not something to be "proud" of. I'm sure Cassel himself isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick