PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm all in.

Reaction score
When the Panthers unceremoniously released Cam Newton I knew that I would need to reevaluate my consumption of the NFL. I had been a fan of the Carolina Panthers since 2001, sat through 2 heart crushing Super Bowl Loses, (the second of which made it difficult for me to enjoy football in general for several years) and the organization was again making an obvious mistake giving up on the only real reason anybody outside of the Carolina's cared about their franchise. The Panthers not only failed to protect Cam Newton in Carolina, they neglected to ever pair him with another dynamic play maker on offense until drafting CMC. It was already becoming difficult to watch Panther games as I became to question the point of wasting 3 hours of my Sundays on a broken product, and becoming emotionally invested in something that I did not in any way benefit from.

So Carolina releases Cam via Twitter. Among all of the chaos in the world, an NFL team releasing an NFL player shouldn't change anyone worldview, but it just logically didn't make any sense for me to continue being a "fan" of any sports organization. Their wins and their loses are their wins and their loses. I can observe from the outside and enjoy the amazing talent on the field, but getting emotionally invested is a waste of my time I thought.

And so I tuned in yesterday for the first time in my adult life as a causal speculator of the NFL. No rooting interests. I was excited to see Cam obviously, but I was equally as excited to see Brees V Brady, Lamar, Rogers, hell even Josh Allen. It was nice to just enjoy the greatest sport on Earth without any bias. It was akin to being at the movie theater as opposed to playing a game of chess, but you're not controlling any of the pieces. I'm sure the NFL prefers it that way. I consume more of their product, more advertisers are in front of my face, its a win win. And then Cam Newton scored his first Touchdown.

The thing about Cam Newton is that he not only loves football, he loves life, and he doesn't care about the undue criticism that he has endured throughout his NFL career. He has somehow found a way to embrace who he is and play at a high level. It is inspiring,always has been. It is also infectious to be around. Thats how the bum ass Carolina Panthers managed to briefly go over .500 as a franchise. (Currently sitting at 195-205-1 ) Its infectious on the field but it is also infectious to watch. I was hooked. When he handed the ball to Andrews for the spike and you can see how happy he is for Andrews, I need that energy directly in my veins the rest of 2020. Win Lose or draw, being positive, taking care of each others and trying our best is the best any of us could ask of ourselves at this point in time. That is who Cam Newton is.

This is obviously a world class organization and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. That game was never in question yesterday and that was clearly a watered down version of what this team will look like in 8 weeks. The coaching staff is perhaps the best in any organized sport. This is a potent combination and makes for perhaps the most interesting NFL season for me personally, ever. As a born New Englander, but also a lifelong Patriot hater (moved down south at 6) I am officially off of the fence. I hope this team wins the damn Super Bowl and I will be rooting all of the way. And it feels damn good.

Last edited:
Welcome! Yeah, we've been spoiled here with the quality of the organization throughout all of its levels the last 20 years. I'm sure this will be a different experience than what you had with Carolina.

I actually respect you more jumping on the wagon now, when everyone has written this team off.

giphy.gif

The thing about Cam Newton is that he not only loves football, he loves life, and he doesn't care about the undue criticism that he has endured throughout his NFL career. He has somehow found a way to embrace who he is and play at a high level. It is inspiring,always has been. It is also infectious to be around. Thats how the bum ass Carolina Panthers managed to briefly go over .500 as a franchise. (Currently sitting at 195-205-1 ) Its infectious on the field but it is also infectious to watch. I was hooked. When he handed the ball to Andrews for the spike and you can see how happy he is for Andrews, I need that energy directly in my veins the rest of 2020. Win Lose or draw, being positive, taking care of each others and trying our best is the best any of us could ask of ourselves at this point in time. That is who Cam Newton is.
Thanks for the great post.

As a long time NE fan, I too was kinda aiming for something similar to what you describe, an ability to watch the game for what it is, and to be less concerned about the outcome. After all we lost the GOAT and other important free agents, then had six guys opt out after the draft and free agency period. We've had a lot of success, now the talk was of a rebuilding season. For me there isn't the same burning desire that makes one worry about every play and how it impacts the goal of contending for the SB. The bar was not being set very high, and I was fine with that.

Then the game came on and I saw our field with our colors and a lot of players I liked and then of course something totally new and different in Cam. I had read a lot of off season coverage but it really hadn't sunk in. I was intrigued in seconds. One advantage of no off season was that it all just hit at once. There he is, he's playing for us, and to use an old phrase, let's fcuking go!!!!

Then during the game we saw what you saw, what it's like for Cam to have a strong O line to play behind and a game plan tailored to what he does well. It's a fact that O linemen prefer running the ball. They'd rather hit the other guy than sit back and get hit. They didn't have to keep that count going in their head while Brady waited for the third option to get open. They were opening nice holes for Cam. Cam's ability to option meant the D linemen couldn't stack any one gap, they had to play honest. Cam made some nice throws when he had to as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with my level of engagement. The bar is lower. The team is exciting. For me we have to keep in mind this is just MIA but they may have a shot at the AFCE given we just beat MIA and BUF didn't massacre the mediocre Jete. Things gotta play out more, but for now, it's enough. We don't know how Cam will hold up and we don't know if he'll want to stick around any more than one season, but those are tomorrow's problems.

Concerns are that Cam ran a lot. He seemed more cautious early in the game but as things heated up he seemed to expose himself more to being hit. Personally I want to see him run just enough to keep the defense honest, and no more. We have a good O line and decent RBs. Hopefully the rookie TEs develop and we can continue to develop this good ball control style of offense.

Welcome! I was laughing reading your post as there are many on here (myself among them) who considered giving up on the Pats after they let Brady go and seemed to have nothing to replace him with. Then it seemed like half the defense opted out. I also said I wasn't going to watch the Bucs. Yeah, that lasted until 12:59 p.m. yesterday. Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic that this will not be a totally lost year for the Pats. On the other hand, it was only Miami and we didn't have much of a passing game (but that may have been by design). If anyone can build an offense, or a whole team with a bunch of flawed/inexperienced/good-but-not-great players, it's Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels. We'll know more after we play (gulp) Seattle this week. I'm nervous about that one.

A few random observations - Cam ran out of the shotgun at least twice on Sunday, either for a 1st down or a score (can't remember which it was; all I remember is my initial thought of WTF are they doing in the shotgun there? and then , "Oh, okay!"). I can tell you that has not been in the Pats playbook in the past 20 years. My point is they have already come up with plays that play to Cam's strengths, but I am worried about him getting injured with a lot of running.

I hope Cam can sustain his upbeat (if quirky) attitude. We are very passionate fans (good and bad) in NE and our press is especially hard on players. If Cam has a bad game he should not listen to the radio or read the newspapers.

If you get upset by chicken littles who proclaim the sky is falling, DO NOT go in the game day thread during the game.

That's all for now.

When the Panthers unceremoniously released Cam Newton I knew that I would need to reevaluate my consumption of the NFL. I had been a fan of the Carolina Panthers since 2001, sat through 2 heart crushing Super Bowl Loses, (the second of which made it difficult for me to enjoy football in general for several years) and the organization was again making an obvious mistake giving up on the only real reason anybody outside of the Carolina's cared about their franchise. The Panthers not only failed to protect Cam Newton in Carolina, they neglected to ever pair him with another dynamic play maker on offense until drafting CMC. It was already becoming difficult to watch Panther games as I became to question the point of wasting 3 hours of my Sundays on a broken product, and becoming emotionally invested in something that I did not in any way benefit from.

So Carolina releases Cam via Twitter. Among all of the chaos in the world, an NFL team releasing an NFL player shouldn't change anyone worldview, but it just logically didn't make any sense for me to continue being a "fan" of any sports organization. Their wins and their loses are their wins and their loses. I can observe from the outside and enjoy the amazing talent on the field, but getting emotionally invested is a waste of my time I thought.

And so I tuned in yesterday for the first time in my adult life as a causal speculator of the NFL. No rooting interests. I was excited to see Cam obviously, but I was equally as excited to see Brees V Brady, Lamar, Rogers, hell even Josh Allen. It was nice to just enjoy the greatest sport on Earth without any bias. It was akin to being at the movie theater as opposed to playing a game of chess, but you're not controlling any of the pieces. I'm sure the NFL prefers it that way. I consume more of their product, more advertisers are in front of my face, its a win win. And then Cam Newton scored his first Touchdown.

This is obviously a world class organization and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. That game was never in question yesterday and that was clearly a watered down version of what this team will look like in 8 weeks. The coaching staff is perhaps the best in any organized sport. This is a potent combination and makes for perhaps the most interesting NFL season for me personally, ever. As a born New Englander, but also a lifelong Patriot hater (moved down south at 6) I am officially off of the fence. I hope this team wins the damn Super Bowl and I will be rooting all of the way. And it feels damn good.

Welcome brother.

It's clear the superficial image of Cam Newton is very different from the real man. Super hard worker. Leader and unselfish teammate. A big heart and warrior on the field. Super tough. A truly joyful person. I'm so excited to have Cam Newton as the QB. I hope he stays healthy. This could be something special, like a rejuvenated Randy Moss in 2007. I've also never seen our QB dress up before in a yellow Mayflower Pilgrim -looking suit, for a post-game interview :)

Last edited:
I’ve always begrudgingly loved Cam. He destroyed my Oregon Ducks singlehanded in the National championship game so it would have been easy to root against him. But as soon as I saw him give balls to kids as souvenirs, I wanted him to succeed. I want to go buy his jersey but I don’t want to jinx it.

It was already becoming difficult to watch Panther games as I became to question the point of wasting 3 hours of my Sundays on a broken product, and becoming emotionally invested in something that I did not in any way benefit from.

37-43 during the 5-years from 2006-2010 with only one winning season and a single playoff game which was a loss = "broken product".

What kept you on the bandwagon then?

I was mad when panthers let Cam go so I said I’m going with him. I found myself cheering for the pats Sunday and hoping Carolina would lose badly. I ordered my pats number 1 and outfitted truck today so I’m fully on the wagon. I been reading the boards since they signed Cam figured I might as well start posting get to know everyone.

Seems we have with us extra fans coming from CAR...welcome on board... :thumbsup:

And yes...i am too enjoying Cam with us...

It was a solid first week by all accounts. It was fun to see other defenses struggle with our own mobile QB. Was tough to watch them against us for years. .

Cam do what u do man I’ve seen it. Go beat Seattle and see if people that loved u two yrs ago still hate. If they ever allow fans wait till ur at game and when pats close to score kids start creeping down trying to get the ball he is about to give away. I expect him to go make a statement Sunday ya I’ve seen it before many times like when he hit Olsen for 50 yds to win up there in 2015. Go pats I want a win Sunday worst than anything let the haters start hating do work 1. I’m cooking clam chowder and lobster rolls trying to fit in little dif but I’m about the team.

I don't give a good God damn how happy Cam is, nor do I care for his dimbulb theatrics, nor for his Sophia-Loren-as-70's-pimp hats, nor for your fishy mancrush on him.

As a quarterback, he blows. 2015 is long gone.

Another thread not aging well.
Indeed. I can’t understand following a player. I like following a team. But, there are many posters here who feel the same way about Brady...

Interesting times ahead. But, for Cam, this might be his last year in the League.

Cam seems like a good guy, his effort level is high and is saying the right things but you gotta produce. I know his supporting cast isn't great on the offensive side of the ball but he hasn't shown me anything to make me sit up and say "He's turned a corner" or "He's the answer at QB".

Anyway we COULD hv been 5-2 instead 2-5 too...

Games with Seattle Denver and Buffalo could hv been W

The problem is that Could is not enough and infortunately for Cam too the difference is huge...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back