PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you believe in "due" A Pats win looks more likely than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Something I rarely talk about on this forum but bring up time to time is the "due" factor. The natural balancing out of chances. The control within the chaos. The natural equilibrium we seem to observe over the long term.

I believe each moment in time is its own and is not influenced by others but I also believe that things have a way of generally falling into line when you step back and look at an entire set of data. If we look at larger trends and natural balancing out we expect to take place when the run is over the Patriots are more likely than we think to win on Sunday and it has little to do with Xs and Os. However now I must prove my point on why "due" favors the Pats. Let me demonstrate.

#1 3-4 point wins/loss. In the new salary cap era (1993 on) super bowls have consistently been close on the whole. More often than not we have seen 1 score games particularly the last 15 years. Last year was a bigger win so you would think we would see a tight game this time? Not really. Only 1 time in the past 15 years have we seen back to back 2 score super bowl wins. Though close games are the norm it is also the norm to expect short streaks of bigger wins. The more compelling evidence though is the Pats track record. 6 SBs and 6 3-4 point games. That is a statistical anomaly. Highly odd and i believe highly unlikely to continue. Each game has made it less and less likely. This time something gives. The Pats will win or loss by 2 scores. So which is more likely? Well if i have to pick 1 team to win by 2 scores I have no choice (experience, balance, coaching) to pick the Patriots. This to me makes a more likely Patriots win.

#2 Ryan defrost. Ryan is having far and away the best year of his career. He has made it look very easy the past 6 games. Mind boggling stats with no interceptions. Rodgers did the same and it finally caught up. Brady was read hot but had a tough time in Houston. Ryan is not Brady or Rodgers. Logic and history suggest he can not keep it up and making the sudden jump from the hurt or bad Ds he faced to the Pats give him a reason to throw a pick and have a turnover or 2. He should have had 2 against GB but they were dropped. Good for us. When a player is not picked for a while they start to get too comfortable sometimes. Ryan seemed too comfortable to me. Too willing to take risk. If Ryan has another 3-4 TD game with 300 yards and no turnovers the Falcons likely win. I don't see that. Ryan is simply due to make mistakes or have his mistakes be cashed in on. Also noting Ryan has never been overly safe with the ball in his career. Up to this point the season has been an anomaly for him.

#3 Falcons defense. The Falcons D has been on a roll. They suddenly go from a bad D to a fairly good D by the stats. The Pats this year made a jump too of sorts but it had a clear catalyst and the jump was from pretty good to overall good. The Falcons jump to me from bad to pretty good seems too big and unaccountable. Why are they suddenly 10 top after the bye? Well part of it is due to playing bad teams and part to luck. They got people at the right time. They got AZ when Carson was not doing well and Fitz looked old, Rams/SF Carolina after it was over for them and they seemed flat. They caught Brees on a bad streak who later came back a bit but too late. Then they caught Wilson on a so-so day and his offensive line was exposed and caught Rodgers cooling off (like Ryan will i think) and the injuries and bad play all around from the entire offense (so many drops and a MASH unit OL) was too much to over come. Basically this unit is not as good as the post bye stats say. The Jump from where they were to where they are now inside of a year is simply not realistic. Yes they improved by the eye test but not from 25th to top 10. This unit is due to get exposed and that happens I think.

There are other due facts but these are the main ones and this is long enough as is. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Not sure what to think of Atlanta's D, Packers just shot themselves in the foot. Certainly not a Giants 07/11 or Seahawks 14 D. With that being said, it's all about neutralizing Beasley and the interior pressure.

There are some young dudes in that secondary and wouldn't be surprised if we took the ball first again to set the tone and really get them thinking/amp up the pressure.

Not sure what to think of Atlanta's D, Packers just shot themselves in the foot. Certainly not a Giants 07/11 or Seahawks 14 D. With that being said, it's all about neutralizing Beasley and the interior pressure.

There are some young dudes in that secondary and wouldn't be surprised if we took the ball first again to set the tone and really get them thinking/amp up the pressure.

They have good talent but it is a bit too early for their D. They are just too young i think and also the interior guys are not as good as their past games but that does worry me cause our IOL has had issues.

My belief in a Patriots victory stems from the fact that I firmly believe the Patriots are the better team, are playing better football, and will be better prepared for the moment than the Falcons.

I watched that game several times. Two things to take away from GB v Atl:

1) The Atl pass coverage was very aggressive. It paid off because the pass rush was just steamrolling GB's OL. Multiple times the Atl rusher just went through his blocker. IF they have that kind of pass rush success against the Patriots then we are in trouble. I don;t believe they will but it'll be what it be.

2) Atl had their way with GB's defense (much more so than against SEA though they ultimately scored good against SEA too). Simply non competitive GB pass coverage, largely humdrum pass rush, and ATL was on steroids just grabbing offensive yardage chunks at breakneck speed (GB was in need of a few fake injury timeouts_Patriots have certainly seen this. Regardless, it was impressive how potent Atl's O was).

If ATL's O can come close to matching the ramming down GB's throat? It's probably doom for the Patriots. On the other end of the measuring stick comparison, if we perform better than the SEA defense and perform better than SEA on O (I feel confident we will on O)? Our chances of winning are very good.

IMHO any D performance that stacks up at any tangible level better than SEA's means a Patriots win. If worse than SEA on any tangible level makes for a bad outcome. This is the test in for the Patriots' D and will determine the outcome.

Due? We've been paying em for 50 years. Lol

1) The Atl pass coverage was very aggressive. It paid off because the pass rush was just steamrolling GB's OL. Multiple times the Atl rusher just went through his blocker. IF they have that kind of pass rush success against the Patriots then we are in trouble. I don;t believe they will but it'll be what it be.

I find this concerning because Prior to the NFCC GB's offensive line was playing really good. They were giving Aaron atleast 4 seconds in the pocket consistently and then he would move around and add another 2-4 seconds but I am not sure if any of GB's O linemen got hurt during the game. GB players were dropping like flys.

Green Bay's OL has been problematic for some time.

2) Atl had their way with GB's defense (much more so than against SEA though they ultimately scored good against SEA too). Simply non competitive GB pass coverage, largely humdrum pass rush, and ATL was on steroids just grabbing offensive yardage chunks at breakneck speed (GB was in need of a few fake injury timeouts_Patriots have certainly seen this. Regardless, it was impressive how potent Atl's O was).
Green Bay's Defense has been problematic for some time.

If ATL's O can come close to matching the ramming down GB's throat? It's probably doom for the Patriots. On the other end of the measuring stick comparison, if we perform better than the SEA defense and perform better than SEA on O (I feel confident we will on O)? Our chances of winning are very good.
The Patriots Defense gave up less rushing yards, less passing yards, and less points per game than Green Bay's Defense.

IMHO any D performance that stacks up at any tangible level better than SEA's means a Patriots win. If worse than SEA on any tangible level makes for a bad outcome. This is the test in for the Patriots' D and will determine the outcome.
I keep looking at this match-up as NEP's O vs. ATL's D & NEP's D vs. ATL's O (push aside ST & coaching) and the Pats D looks far more capable of slowing down Atlanta than Atlanta slowing the Patriots.

I wouldn't underestimate Atlanta's young D ****ting their pants come game time. If the Pats can start fast before they get their feet under them it bodes well. One or two guys I could see but they have 7 one and two year guys starting on D. Some of them are gonna eff up.

I find this concerning because Prior to the NFCC GB's offensive line was playing really good. They were giving Aaron atleast 4 seconds in the pocket consistently and then he would move around and add another 2-4 seconds but I am not sure if any of GB's O linemen got hurt during the game. GB players were dropping like flys.

Well deroc, take a page from the football zen master himself, BB: "it is what it is" :).
IMHO the Patriot OL will perform far better than GB.

Green Bay's OL has been problematic for some time.

Green Bay's Defense has been problematic for some time.

G'Day Brother Aus (hope you been doing well).
So if I read your post correctly, doing the requisite reading between the lines as wellas some deep thought over a cold one -- I think what you're saying is GB's parts have been problematic for some time. Is this correct? :).

I sure hope you're right. I'm overall lukewarm confident. A stop or two right out of the gate/1st quarter and I'll be feeling great.

G'Day Brother Aus (hope you been doing well).
So if I read your post correctly, doing the requisite reading between the lines as wellas some deep thought over a cold one -- I think what you're saying is GB's parts have been problematic for some time. Is this correct? :).

I sure hope you're right. I'm overall lukewarm confident. A stop or two right out of the gate/1st quarter and I'll be feeling great.
I converse with a few Packers fans and they've been drumming on about the OL and how very average the Packers D is. The NFC title game basically confirmed that.

My faith in the Patriots stems from the belief that I trust BB & Patricia will devise and implement a game plan that at minimum, is more capable of stopping Atlanta's O than vice versa. I don't mean to disrespect Atlanta but I just don't see how they stop Brady from doing as he pleases.

I "due" believe the Pats will win, not so much because of matchups or statistics, but because of the intangibles; BB and his brain trust game plan, preparation and #12...

Situational football has been the hallmark of this team and it always brings a smile after a great play, when the player announces how they practiced for it..

3 offensive linemen went out.

GB lost one Guard before the game and one or two more during. At one point they had a defensive lineman playing on the Oline. :eek:

Injuries were definitely a part of that game.

"Something I rarely talk about on this forum but bring up time to time is the "due" factor. The natural balancing out of chances. The control within the chaos. The natural equilibrium we seem to observe over the long term."

No offense OP, but this is the type of pseudo-intellectual manure that people that have no actual understanding of a topic construct to either a) appear knowledgeable when they aren't or b) assuage the emotional need to impose some sort of order or control on what they don't understand.

Things are out of the ordinary ..... until they aren't. Might as well look at entrails of avians. You could deploy this same philosophy to the Patriots unparalleled sixteen sustained excellence ... we are "due" to be mediocre.

I look 'smart' only in retrospect, and I can't be 'wrong'. If either case, if the 'due' outcome happened, I am a genius, or if it didn't, I still look smart because it is obvious that they weren't 'due'. QED.

I always find it amazing the degree to which humans go to find ways of fooling peopling, and especially how they do it to themselves.

ATL's ranks #32nd (Dead Last) in red zone DEF!

"Something I rarely talk about on this forum but bring up time to time is the "due" factor. The natural balancing out of chances. The control within the chaos. The natural equilibrium we seem to observe over the long term."

No offense OP, but this is the type of pseudo-intellectual manure that people that have no actual understanding of a topic construct to either a) appear knowledgeable when they aren't or b) assuage the emotional need to impose some sort of order or control on what they don't understand.

Things are out of the ordinary ..... until they aren't. Might as well look at entrails of avians. You could deploy this same philosophy to the Patriots unparalleled sixteen sustained excellence ... we are "due" to be mediocre.

I look 'smart' only in retrospect, and I can't be 'wrong'. If either case, if the 'due' outcome happened, I am a genius, or if it didn't, I still look smart because it is obvious that they weren't 'due'. QED.

I always find it amazing the degree to which humans go to find ways of fooling peopling, and especially how they do it to themselves.

You're probability right. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft