PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we trade down from 3?

I watched a few highlights of Penix. He had perfect protection and WRs that were wide open--this is not what he would experience with the Patriots, at least the way they are constructed now.
He also throws Lasers and not balloons like Mac.

He also throws Lasers and not balloons like Mac.

Yes, so true.

I did not see any highlights where Penix had to run for his life. Penix lived the life of luxury in the pocket and threw to open guys. If he had been on the Patriots roster last season, we would have destroyed him.

Did you watch the Caleb Williams highlights? That guy was running for his life and still making great throws. Like Mahomes I suppose. He will be gone by three so I have not paid any attention to his other attributes or faults.

I still think we should trade down from 3, but do it with a lousy team so that we get their first in 2025 which should be a high pick. Then get the franchise QB, but this year build the supporting cast.

Who's a realistic trade partner for 3 at this point? Slim pickins if it's for a QB.

6 NYG
11 MIN
12 DEN

Who's a realistic trade partner for 3 at this point? Slim pickins if it's for a QB.

6 NYG
11 MIN
12 DEN
I mull the 6th pick. It's the one spot that you can trade down and still be in position to get one of the top 4 QB's. Can get the Giants 2nd rounder out of the deal, and possibly even more.

Even then, it makes me nervous. While I feel like Arizona will stay at 4 and roll with Marvin Jr., the Chargers could definitely be a team that allows a Minnesota/Denver trade up at 5.

I mull the 6th pick. It's the one spot that you can trade down and still be in position to get one of the top 4 QB's. Can get the Giants 2nd rounder out of the deal, and possibly even more.

Even then, it makes me nervous. While I feel like Arizona will stay at 4 and roll with Marvin Jr., the Chargers could definitely be a team that allows a Minnesota/Denver trade up at 5.
Who's number 4 on your QB list (after I'm assuming CWill, DMaye, and JDan)?

If nix / penix is your number 4 then we can go 6 , else too risky . I say just go maye. Everyone says he is risky. He could actually pan out if he sits for a year.

I still think we should trade down from 3, but do it with a lousy team so that we get their first in 2025 which should be a high pick. Then get the franchise QB, but this year build the supporting cast.
The problem with this is that there may not be any franchise QBs next year.

MIN maybe, but I think the odds they'd trade with DEN are basically zero.

The problem with this is that there may not be any franchise QBs next year.
Maybe one in Sanders, so unless you wanna take a high risk and think you’ll end up with the 1st overall pick, you have to stay at 3 and take a qb in 24.

Take Maye and do NOT trade down from 3. The BS about Maye is phony crap being put out there by teams that hope he will slide to, like the Giants and Vikings. It's FAKE news to quote POTUS45. Maye is a great qb prospect and could be the best of the top 3.
Do not pass on either Daniels either, whoever makes it to 3.

Finding decades long franchise QBs is hard. Shoot your shot Pats.

Last edited:
There's nothing fake about what you can see with your own eyes.
No QB tape is perfect including Williams and Daniels. You can find good, great and bad on all of them.
THe tape does not lie about his size, his arm strength and his mobility for a big guy. He can sit for a year and have Van Pelt train him. Great potential.

I'm entirely OK with trading down. We need a broad spectrum of talent to turn this roster around and losing 1 super talented guys to pick up 2-3 very talented guys can be the right move if the gambles pay off.

Would you trade #3 to Minnesota for #11, #23 (they just acquired it, probably to try to move up) and their first next year?

Would you trade #3 to Minnesota for #11, #23 (they just acquired it, probably to try to move up) and their first next year?
Get him below in the deal our Offense would be looking up I would do it 11 and 23 and Hock and future second or third. :cool:

If they love the QB at #3, then take him. If not totally convinced, then take the trade. But if the latter, you'd have to wonder why the Vikings do love him enough to give up all those picks and maybe rethink the evaluation.

I'm in the Trade Down camp too next year's QB class will be decent too get a Rattler or Pratt and keep building going forward.
I wonder what the Bears would realistically take for Fields? Our 3rd round pick??? If so, I would do that. Take MHJ in the first, then a LT in the second.

Lete stay put .

Stay put and draft Maye or Daniels (hopefully Daniels but doesn't look likely...damn Denver win...). No way you can potentially pass on a franchise QB, nothing on the horizon after this year as far as QB's. Take Maye then WR WR and OL with the other draft picks (after 4th round is a crapshoot).

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back