PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we trade down from 3?

Love The Drake

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I read a combine rumor the Patriots were offered three firsts to move down?
I would be very tempted to take that.
Especially if I was plugging In a mayfield or fields.
If I have McCarthy, Penix,Nix,Rattler,ranked a notch or 2 below Daniel’s or Maye? I’m trading down.

Thoughts?

It depends. Three firsts is about right for the Vikings at 11 or Broncos at 12. Three firsts from the Steelers at 20 isn’t enough. If they like the QB at 3 enough, then it doesn’t really matter what anybody is offering.

As Sciz said, depends on how far we drop. If it’s that 8-12 sweet spot, I’m all over it. Those 3 firsts can set up your draft for years to come. It would be very hard to pass up. Daniels or 3 firsts is what it will probably come down to. Seems like a slam dunk answer to me.

I’d rather trade back a few spots and take McCarthy or one of the two top offensive tackles.

But if they move back to 49ers for Trey Lance territory then yeah, three firsts is the starting point.

Unfortunately those firsts will be spread out over years and we’d be looking at a long term build.

If I have McCarthy, Penix,Nix,Rattler,ranked a notch or 2 below Daniel’s or Maye? I’m trading down.

Thoughts?
where did you read this rumor

If they don't think they are taking a franchise qb with the 3rd pick, they should move down, grab a LT and one of the other qbs. I am out on McCarthy, he does not look accurate at all.

Riddler or Penix

I think the Pats stay at 3. If they do trade down, it won't be far. We've seen the Pats trade down many times in the past and hasn't worked out. The latest was trading down with the Chiefs who took eventual All Pro Trent McDuffie for Cole Strange later in 1st round.

where did you read this rumor
I read it as well. I dont remember the source. It was something to the effect that New England has had talks and the starting conversations have included 3 firsts. Not a hard guess to throw some BS at the wall TBH. Not much different than speculating New England is interested in a QB at 3. You and I can write those ****ing articles.

Thoughts?
I'd prefer something additional this year and next. Especially a 2nd this year. Since it's so deep this year at OT & WR. Even if it's in place of that 2026 1st*. And of course, I wouldn't go too far down, 11 or 12 max.

Worst case scenario, we miss out on the 2nd tier QB we want. And sign Brissett in free agency. It's very unlikely we would make the playoffs this year anyway. Even if we didn't trade and got Daniels or Maye @ 3. But with the trade down we could seriously improve the OL and WR corp immediately.

*(But keep the 2025 1st in the deal)

Thoughts?
Seems like Spencer Rattler did good in workouts could be a nice cheap option in the Third with a Bridge QB.

If they don't think they are taking a franchise qb with the 3rd pick, they should move down, grab a LT and one of the other qbs. I am out on McCarthy, he does not look accurate at all.

Riddler or Penix
That's what I saw from McCarthy as well didn't see enough to warrant a Top 10 pick I don't know where the Top 5 Talk with him come from. Seems like he may have held Roman Wilson back with his inaccuracy.

I'd certainly take a 2nd and a couple of future 1sts to move down to 11 with Minnesota and draft a QB there if I think he's worth it. Those two 2nds of yours would be very valuable in this draft class, and if you don't think the QB you're passing on is that hot, then Minnesota's 1sts next year and the year after which you own now will probably be decent picks.

No thanks, not interested.

That's what I saw from McCarthy as well didn't see enough to warrant a Top 10 pick I don't know where the Top 5 Talk with him come from. Seems like he may have held Roman Wilson back with his inaccuracy.
I am also concerned about McCarthy’s accuracy.

He also has the smallest hands among the top QB prospects at 9 inches.

Related?

I'd certainly take a 2nd and a couple of future 1sts to move down to 11 with Minnesota and draft a QB there if I think he's worth it. Those two 2nds of yours would be very valuable in this draft class, and if you don't think the QB you're passing on is that hot, then Minnesota's 1sts next year and the year after which you own now will probably be decent picks.
Do you see how many Picks Arizona have?? Two in the First and Three in the Third they could really move around some on Draft day wow. :(

Do you see how many Picks Arizona have?? Two in the First and Three in the Third they could really move around on Draft day wow. :(
Maybe the Pats can give them a reason to move.

MHJ would look great in a Pats uniform.

Maybe the Pats can give them a reason to move.

MHJ would look great in a Pats uniform.
How much would one spot cost in the Top of the First??

Stop putting McCarthy in this convo. He sucks. He is at best a backup in this league. We need a starting QB and this is the best draft in a long time to add someone solid that might actually work out long term.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back