PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Steelers/Fins opens the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpats

Banned
Reaction score
If Pitt/Miami is the opener as reported...could we be looking at a rematch with the Broncos in Foxboro Week 1?

To be honest I thought it would be that too but I'm getting that paranoid feeling that the league wants to "move on" from the Pats so it may just be a regular 1 game. Then to argue with myself maybe they "reward" Kraft for taking the hit on the CBA by giving him one of the prime times on Sunday or Monday night. Jones in Dallas would get the other in that scenario IMO.

Pitts Mia??? Nahhhh I think it may be an away game for the Pats...I really do..home the last 2 years...and then..away Buffalo...ands the year before that Steelers...I say away!!

PatsRI said:
To be honest I thought it would be that too but I'm getting that paranoid feeling that the league wants to "move on" from the Pats so it may just be a regular 1 game.

If the league has a master it's anticipated ratings, and ratings are generated by marquee players (Brady), great teams (which we STILL are) and a good storyline ("Pats seek revenge against Denver"). Truth be told, I think most NFL fans watch the Pats in hopes of seeing them lose, while a casual fan will more likely tune in knowing the names Brady, Belichick, Bruschi, etc are championship-caliber.

Pats726 said:
Pitts Mia??? Nahhhh I think it may be an away game for the Pats...I really do..home the last 2 years...and then..away Buffalo...ands the year before that Steelers...I say away!!

Well, we only have 3 "marquee" away games (Mia, Cincy, Jax) and if Miami goes to Pitt then it's the Bengals or Jags. I'd take the Bengals over going to Florida in September.

Miami ? That would be a sad opener although we got the Raiders last year I guess. Imagine if Culpepper isn't ready for Week 1.

BelichickFan said:
Miami ? That would be a sad opener although we got the Raiders last year I guess. Imagine if Culpepper isn't ready for Week 1.

Hey, at least we'd start the season up a game in our division!

BelichickFan said:

See above post about ratings - the Raiders matchup was all about Randy Moss w/ a little of the Snow Bowl rematch sprinkled in. Plus the Raiders have a big fan base and more national appeal like the Dolphins. A lot of people thought Pittsburgh/Denver, but Denver is not an attractive draw (2 words: Jake Plummer) and nobody talks about Denver anyways (only when they were going after T.O.).

WEEI is saying the Thur Kickoff Opener is Miami at Pittsburg.

PatsRI said:
Yes..that is the consensus...so maybe in Jags for NE???

Pats726 said:
Yes..that is the consensus...so maybe in Jags for NE???

As long as it's on a Sunday cuz I want to go down there for that one.

PatsRI said:
Yeah, it's here too :

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06086/677150-66.stm

Note the last, bolded sentence :

"The NFL will announce today that the Miami Dolphins will play the Steelers to kick off the season Thursday night, Sept. 7, at Heinz Field. The Dolphins, who did not make the playoffs last season, last week acquired quarterback Daunte Culpepper from the Minnesota Vikings. The Steelers' players and coaches will receive their Super Bowl rings that night."

Different from the Patriots who always get theirs at Kraft's house.

I'm thinking the Pats play on the road opening weekend for a one o'clock game. My guess is against the Titans.

I think the Cowboys will get a prime time matchup on opening weekend to showcase their TO acquisition.

Maybe we could play at the Jets Week 1 instead of in late December for the 4th straight year.

PatsRI said:

If he's even ready physically I wonder if Saban will risk re-injury to his brand new somewhat tarnished franchise QB right out of the gate in Ketchupville.

MoLewisrocks said:
If he's even ready physically I wonder if Saban will risk re-injury to his brand new somewhat tarnished franchise QB right out of the gate in Ketchupville.

Depends on TC... Culpepper is already running and throwing. His biggest limitation is his ability to cut, and protect himself. Saban may hold him if the line looks shaky, but as of right now it should be better than next year. Since Hudson took over there has been progress from every player every single week. If Shelton looks good enough i could see pepper starting. BUT saban won't pull an Edwards and start some one who isn't ready. I'de rather lose one game than lose pepper for the whole season.

richpats said:
If Pitt/Miami is the opener as reported...could we be looking at a rematch with the Broncos in Foxboro Week 1?

I don't think this is likely due to the Broncos being a mountain time zone franchise and CBS has the U.S. Open at 4:00 that opening Sunday. I doubt they'd put Broncos-Pats on 11:00 MST.

Seymour93 said:
I don't think this is likely due to the Broncos being a mountain time zone franchise and CBS has the U.S. Open at 4:00 that opening Sunday. I doubt they'd put Broncos-Pats on 11:00 MST.

Looks like the Pats probably won't play Denver b/c this is a marquee game and I don't think CBS is going to have it at 1pm either. However, it is likely Denver will have an 11am MST start on the road against Cleveland or St. Louis (probably Cleveland for obvious reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes