PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Player X is Available, I Wouldn't Trade Down

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who is on your list of players so valuable that you wouldn't trade down in the first?

I'm going to presume these players are gone (these 11 plus CAR's QB)
EDGE Hutchinson
EDGE Walker
EDGE Tribideau
EDGE Johnson
OT Neal
OT Ekwanu
OT Cross
S Hamilton
CB Gardner
CB Stingley
WR Wilson
===========================
SO TWELVE ARE GONE, AND WHO WOULD WE PICK IF THERE AT 21?
Eight will be drafted before we pick. Do you have more than 8 must haves? Who are they, in any case.

DL Davis
ILB Lloyd
EDGE Karlaftas
CB Booth
CB Mcduffie
CB Elam
OT Penning
OG Johnson
C Linderbaum (some say the best center in a decade)
WR Williams
WR London
WR Olave
=====================
After these players, I don't think that the rest of the first is much better than the mid-second. So, some want to move down and up and have two in the top 50. Obviously, there are players on Belichick's board that warrant a 1st round grade, and a pick at 21. The open question is whether any will be there. I personally don't think that so many will be there that he can trade down and get two that he considered top studs.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your list, except for Elam and Penning.

I have Elam as the 7th best CB in this class, and Penning has huge potential but also has to make massive adjustments to his game to not be a liability in the NFL. I know I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't take either of those two in the first round.

I agree with most of your list, except for Elam and Penning.

I have Elam as the 7th best CB in this class, and Penning has huge potential but also has to make massive adjustments to his game to not be a liability in the NFL. I know I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't take either of those two in the first round.
With regard to Penning, we would want him as our 2023 LT. Are you thinking that he doesn't have the talent to be ready for 2023?

I’d stay at 21 for Davis or Karlaftis for sure, and probably for Booth, Lloyd, or Williams, maybe for Elam … and would give very strong consideration to staying at 21 for Travis Jones.

all of them except london olave or linderbaum

With regard to Penning, we would want him as our 2023 LT. Are you thinking that he doesn't have the talent to be ready for 2023?

He has the talent. It's whether his overly aggressive nature can be curved somewhat.

Williams
Davis
Loyd
McDuffie in that order
You could talk me into Olave as well but if it would definitely depend on how good the return was.

Davis
Williams
top 5 CB

Packers receive:

No. 21 overall (Round 1)

Patriots receive:

No. 28 overall (Round 1)
No. 92 overall (Round 3)
No. 132 overall (Round 4)

Teams know Bill Belichick is willing to trade down for extra picks, and his recent acquisition of receiver DeVante Parker from the Dolphins makes a move down from No. 21 even more likely, given the demand for receivers that point in the draft. Green Bay is one of the candidates to deal for the Patriots' spot after shipping All-Pro receiver Davante Adams to the Raiders.

Why would the Packers trade into the 21st pick when they already also possess No. 22 overall (thanks to the Adams trade)? Everyone else knows the Packers' situation, as well, so Arizona (No. 23), Dallas (No. 24), Tennessee (No. 26) or Kansas City (Nos. 29 and 30, unless they've already traded up) will be on the move to get ahead of Green Bay. Don't be surprised if the Packers actually use this newly-acquired pick on a potential starting right tackle like Trevor Penning or talented No. 3 edge rusher such as Drake Jackson. They could then select Chris Olave or the any of the top three receivers falling to them with the next selection, filling two big needs in succession.

The value New England will get at No. 28 is similar to what it would get at No. 21, with players like versatile defensive backs Daxton Hill or Jalen Pitre, inside linebacker Nakobe Dean or a receiver like Treylon Burks or George Pickens in their sights. The third- and fourth-round picks can be used to move up on Day 2 or build roster depth, or they can be traded to teams looking to make a "Wimpy" trade (that is, paying the Pats future picks for a player they value today, following the Popeye comic strip character's lead).

McDuffie
Jordan Davis
Booth
J. Williams
Dean(going back and forth on him)

Overall, I think it's a little better than a 50% chance that we will trade back

This was already posted 4 days ago in BGC's Draft thread, but hey why not start one just for this?

What would you do if this is the case?

This was already posted 4 days ago in BGC's Draft thread, but hey why not start one just for this?
IMO, there is plenty of room for discussions of individual topics without having to go through massive threads to have the discussion. I suppose that I could just discuss these topics with those on the draft board, but that isn't my preference. I guess it's time to simply ignore your posts. Feel free to do the same to mine
==================

Some folks read and remember the hundreds of posts on various threads. For them, maybe the fewer threads the better. Personally, I prefer threads about individual subjects. On the Draft Board there are lots of discussions of individual topics.

You prefer having all of the draft related material in one thread, along with all our needs and possibilities. In that case, just don't bother with my threads.

For example, in the subject described here, SURE folks could be required to make sure they read and recall all of the very excellent discussions of BGC's thread.

So, I could have looked through that thread, checking all the posts, and maybe, just maybe I would gotten the information that is here so far: individual opinions all in one place on this subject.

I will "ignore" you. I suggest you do the same for me.

I will "ignore" you. I suggest you do the same for me.
Why would I ignore you? That makes no sense. I don't even ignore the most annoying troll on the forum. Carry on.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back