PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - the training wheels edition.

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I actually did an Idle Thoughts last week, and it was a long one too. However I was about 95% finished when I accidentally hit some key that highlighted the post and my next move was to hit the space bar, and erased what took close to 3 hours to do. To say I was pissed was an understatement. By then I was too pissed to do it again. Hopefully this one will reach the launching pad intact.

About the title. The opening half of the game was VERY sloppy by the Pats. they had 2nd and 20+ on their first TWO drives and were -2 in TO That's ridiculous to still be doing that at this stage of the season. Especially when this was the game that was going to tell us if this team is truly a playoff team. Well when things turned around in the 2nd half and the defense continued to dominate what should have been a shutout. I made the comment that if we ARE a playoff team, then its a playoff team on training wheels. One step in the right direction but still a long way to go,

So here are a bunch of "Idle thoughts" in no particular order.

1. Some injuries are just unlucky. A cleat stuck in the ground, being rolled by a teammate, etc. Some are inflicted. The result of hard PHYSICAL football. The exodus of Panther players over the course of this game reminded me of the 2001 team in their physical play. That team wasn't the most talented, but they could have been the most physical team of the last 20 years. IIRC The record of teams that played the Pats, their NEXT week's record was well under .500. Even teams that beat the Pats didn't do well the next week because of beating they took playing that Pats team. Well THAT is what I'm feeling here. This team is playing more physically every week. And I really really like that about this team.

2.Myles Bryant - Just ANOTHER in a long line of undrafted FA's the Pats have developed over the years that have turned into valuable secondary pieces. From Butler, to Jones, to Jackson, and now Bryant. We might not be able to develop WR's for sh!t, but we SURE as hell can create DB's out of nothing. He certainly doesn't look like a PS refugee 2 years in the making, He's more than flashed since Jones went down.

He knocked out DJ moore with a massive hit, and reacted up to blow up a flat pass as well. Now as his coach I would have yelled at him because he lowered his head making his hit on Moore as well as having his head on the wrong side. But still the effort and smarts just ooze from this young kid.

3. Another guy who deserves a nod is the much maligned Jalen Mills. I was questioning why he was the one who seemed to be covering the Pathers' biggest WR threat in DJ Moore. Well shame on me because Moore was held to 3 catches for 32 yds with Mills doing most of the heavy lifting. He's an easy target. playing out of position, for the whiners to dump on. So lets give him props when he does the job.

4. I hope that some of those Panther holding calls were caused by Matt Judon, because I saw about a half dozen that WEREN'T called. This guy could be Bill's best FA signing since Rodney. WHAT a motor. Hard to believe he's playing 80%+ of the defensive snaps. That cat is EARNING his money. I can hardly wait to see how many hurries he had this week. Not to mention that he sets the edge like Willie. Bill could use his work as training films for future generations of edge setters

5. This would have been a shutout if not for the 2 TO's. THAT's how dominant the defense was. For the most part, Darnold had no open receivers and no time to throw to them if they were. OUTSTANDING!

6. I saw Christian Barmore's presser. God, the guy had so much energy he couldn't stand still. Far from a finished product, this kid is the real deal. Right now he's doing it with brute force, just throwing OLmen aside. When he gets so moves and refines his techniques over the next few years, he's going to be hard to stop. I noticed that in some passing situations they moved him to a DE alignment. I guess they are giving him more opportunities to make plays.

7. (in a Russian accent) "Pay the man his money". That's my advice to whoever is the GM in regard to JC Jackson. This year is continuing to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Jackson is a top tier CB with serious ball skills. Hard to find them; And he will be going into his prime years. I'd like to think those prime years will be spent in NE.

8. I Liked it when the Pats moved Mac out of the pocket today. The plays weren't readily successful, but showcased some of the athleticism of Jones. He has quick feet and some acceleration when he moves. He isn't a quick twitch athlete, though his 3 cone time (7.06) seems to indicate its better than we think. The Pats have pretty much programed him to stay in the pocket, but as he develops I think we shall see that athleticism show up more and and more.

9. Mac's two sacks looked brutal, so I tried to look at them again to figure out why they happened. In his pressure Jones seemed to put all of the blame on himself for not getting the team in the best pass blocking scheme. I don't know if that's the truth. On the first one, it looked like they wanted Karras to pull and pick up the DE. On that play Karras had no chance to get there before Reddick was in Mac's face. Either Karras was too slow, or the concept didn't account for Reddick's speed, or they expected Reddick to do something else but come hard off the edge.

The Burns sack was worse. That one looked like it was all on Wynn, but in retrospect his guilt might be mitigated. It could be Mac should have changed the blocking scheme to the left which would have gotten Wynn into position to meet Burns. Perhaps Henry needed to chip another second before releasing. Or perhaps Wynn just wasn't prepared for Burn's burst. At any rate, Burns got a free shot on Mac without being touched. Whatever the reason it will have to be addressed because next week the rush will be harder.

10 I said this in the game day thread, but it bears repeating. I was among the most vocal when it came to demanding the Pats move on from Brandon Boldin. At that point he looked like he was "just" a ST'er and a redundant one at that. How wrong can a guy be. VERY! Well, Boldin again proved to be outstanding running the ball and even better catching it. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Maximum Mea Culpa

11. And speaking about RB's what a resounding effort by R Stevenson. He looked electric out there with nimble cuts and crunching hits. He was every bit the playmaker we all hoped we saw in preseason. Too bad it was all derailed by the fumble against the dolphins in that first game and it too this long for him to get out of the dog house (though I think pass blocking issues probably had more to do with it in the end) He has real soft hands as well. I think it was his acceleration that surprised me the most. For a big b1ack, he has a 2nd gear.

12. I was disappointed the passing attack was so anemic. In the pregame thread I predicted the RB's and TE's would be featured. I was half right. Well maybe NEXT week will be the game where the TE's shine.

13. What a week for upsets. Who'd have thought the Cowboys would be SHUTOUT! That the Jags would beat the Bills and hold them to 6 points. Is there a blueprint or just 'one of those days" I wouldn't mind going over the film of THAT game. "On any given Sunday" is NOT and adage, its a reality. Other oddities were, the invincible Rams getting beat at home by 12 by the Henryless Titans (who lost to the Jets) The really disappointing Niners who lost to a Cardinal team that was without Murray, Hopkins, and AJ Green and were QB'd by a 35 year old Colt freakin' McCoy. BTW Jimmy threw for over 300, but was sacked 5 times.

Interesting stat. While Shanahan DID get the Niners within 10 minutes of a championship, his overall record would have gotten a lot of HC's fired. He's 32-40 and has been to the playoffs once in his tenure. It doesn't look like they are going to make it this year either, so he will have only one playoff appearance in five year to show for his tenure there. Yet by all accounts he is looked at as untouchable. Lynch will lose his job, while Kyle is still the boy wonder; Head scratcher, right?

14. So when is Winovich due to come back from IR because Josh Uche has been my most disappointing Patriot this year. I had such high hopes for him and they've be DASHED! We need a 3rd edge rusher to spell Judon so he doesn't burn out. We know Chase can do that. Uche (thus far) can't. BTW-same question for JJones. Is he done done, or is it possible he might be able to make it back for the playoffs...if there is a playoff for this team.

15. Today was a GOOD day. A dominating defensive win over a 4-4 team who has a very good defense. Clearly we have a playoff quality defense even if we are a little thin in the secondary. Still a lot of question marks about the offense, hence the "training wheels" metaphor more steps need to be taken. goals to be accomplished and more wins stacked up before we know that THIS is a playoff team. Thanksgiving looms ahead. We might know by then.

16; Cleveland coming in after a big win in a rivalry game. They pretty much dominated a 5-3 team and won going away. Normally I'd be happy that they are coming here, but we are now 4-0 on the road and only 1-4 at the friendly confines of Gillette. A step up in competition and class. The Cleveland OL is much better than the Panther's and the Browns pass rush is even more so. We will need the training wheels to come off this week and the offense to carry more of the load. All this while our top 2 RB's will be in the concussion protocol ;eek:
Cleveland next week coming off a VERY strong game against the Bengals. Normally I'd say its a good thing we have them at home, but when your team is 4-0 on the road and only 1-4 at home, I'm not so sure. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts , Ken. I don't mean to hijack your thread but since you mentioned Uche.....why has he under performed ? Is it a case of playing well against your team mates in camp and not being able to do it when it really matters in a game environment......I dont know ??

3. Another guy who deserves a nod is the much maligned Jalen Mills. I was questioning why he was the one who seemed to be covering the Pathers' biggest WR threat in DJ Moore. Well shame on me because Moore was held to 3 catches for 32 yds with Mills doing most of the heavy lifting. He's an easy target. playing out of position, for the whiners to dump on. So lets give him props when he does the job.
It doesnt matter the sheer amount of evidence that piles up - there are those that simply cannot get past name or draft status. That's not saying that NFL teams don't need some star talent - they absolutely do, but it doesnt have to be at every position for a team to succeed. Talent isn't always apparent on day 1 either, or even day 100, but sometimes on day 101 is when the switch goes off and it's worth the wait.
We will need the training wheels to come off this week and the offense to carry more of the load. All this while our top 2 RB's will be in the concussion protocol
The team aspect of the passing offense is where you see that maturation and cohesiveness still has a long way to go. With the exception of the Henry throw early, the timing offense was just off. From the Gilmore INT, to the Algholor go route that got a pretty generous DPI, to the later fade that wasn't - the timing offense is pretty nonexistent from both the thrower and catcher perspectives. I would assume that such fluidity doesnt come into being until year 2 or 3 for most (i.e. knowing, not guessing, where to throw the ball and where to catch the ball being the same for WR and QB) tandems.
8. I Liked it when the Pats moved Mac out of the pocket today. The plays weren't readily successful, but showcased some of the athleticism of Jones.
The more complexity - the more an opposing defense has to prepare and the more ways the Patriots can adjust in game. It's like the wildcat alignment they threw out earlier in the season. It's not going to be a staple, but if it gets one key 3d down conversion to 1st down - likely worth it.

Is it a case of playing well against your team mates in camp and not being able to do it when it really matters in a game environment
Film and tendencies. Someone has seen something work against him, now every offensive coordinator and OL line coach has it and he hasn't been able to adjust.

Preseason is so much about tryouts now (especially going to three games) versus installing offense and defense (what camp is for) that I'm guessing game planning is pretty blasé.

The impact being a player can flash in the preseason because it's just 1-on-1 work - athlete against athlete. In the real games Uche maybe has to navigate a chip, or drop one play, rush the next and his head gets in the way of his athleticism, or he struggles against a push to his less dominant left, his circadian rhythms make him more dominant at 1000am, whatever it is - everyone's seen the tape and exploits whatever the weakness is and he's got to adjust to it.

PFK Great as usual... we have come to expect this, couple of random thoughts:

Heard Zolak last week talking about Smith and his underperformance has to do with holding him back to block, as our O line needs so much work.
Christian Barmore is a beast, every week he gets more and more noticeable..
Jamie Collins is an athletic beast, that int. ++++++
Mac Jones looked tentative yesterday..
Mac Jones grabbing Burns ankle looked pretty crappy
JC Jackson is backing up his bravado, 2 int's...
Greg Gumble and Adam Archuleta made a fairly mundane game into a very boring affair, doesn't anyone from CBS evaluate their talent?? Archuleta is insufferable, someday they will ok that the radio calls will be synced with the TV broadcast...
The Pats play to the level of competition, next 2 weeks Cleveland & Tenn... suspect the same.
Head injuries to Stevenson and Harris are concerning.

Great write up. A couple of things:

The Burns sack on Jones was one of the worst thing I have seen by a tackle in a while. Not only did Wynn totally not do anything to even slow Burns, but Wynn literally stood flat flat footed turned towards where Burns was rushing and, even when Burns was rushing unimpeded towards Jones, Wynn's first reaction was to reach out his right hand and tap the defender that Karras was already engaged with. It took a good second before Wynn even made an effort to try to block Burns and by then it was too late. Knowing that Henry was only going to chip block Burns and then run his route, Wynn should have known right off the bat that he was supposed to pick him up. Even after his missed blocking assignment, he was really slow to react.

As for Brandon Bolden, he is a boom or bust type of player. When he is on, he can do some pretty great things like yesterday. But then we have games where they will give him the ball and you need six inches, he will give you a tackle behind the line of scrimmage. Earlier in the season he was more bust than boom. In recent weeks, he has had more boom than busts.

I actually did an Idle Thoughts last week, and it was a long one too. However I was about 95% finished when I accidentally hit some key that highlighted the post and my next move was to hit the space bar, and erased what took close to 3 hours to do. To say I was pissed was an understatement. By then I was too pissed to do it again. Hopefully this one will reach the launching pad intact.

About the title. The opening half of the game was VERY sloppy by the Pats. they had 2nd and 20+ on their first TWO drives and were -2 in TO That's ridiculous to still be doing that at this stage of the season. Especially when this was the game that was going to tell us if this team is truly a playoff team. Well when things turned around in the 2nd half and the defense continued to dominate what should have been a shutout. I made the comment that if we ARE a playoff team, then its a playoff team on training wheels. One step in the right direction but still a long way to go,

So here are a bunch of "Idle thoughts" in no particular order.

1. Some injuries are just unlucky. A cleat stuck in the ground, being rolled by a teammate, etc. Some are inflicted. The result of hard PHYSICAL football. The exodus of Panther players over the course of this game reminded me of the 2001 team in their physical play. That team wasn't the most talented, but they could have been the most physical team of the last 20 years. IIRC The record of teams that played the Pats, their NEXT week's record was well under .500. Even teams that beat the Pats didn't do well the next week because of beating they took playing that Pats team. Well THAT is what I'm feeling here. This team is playing more physically every week. And I really really like that about this team.

2.Myles Bryant - Just ANOTHER in a long line of undrafted FA's the Pats have developed over the years that have turned into valuable secondary pieces. From Butler, to Jones, to Jackson, and now Bryant. We might not be able to develop WR's for sh!t, but we SURE as hell can create DB's out of nothing. He certainly doesn't look like a PS refugee 2 years in the making, He's more than flashed since Jones went down.

He knocked out DJ moore with a massive hit, and reacted up to blow up a flat pass as well. Now as his coach I would have yelled at him because he lowered his head making his hit on Moore as well as having his head on the wrong side. But still the effort and smarts just ooze from this young kid.

4. I hope that some of those Panther holding calls were caused by Matt Judon, because I saw about a half dozen that WEREN'T called. This guy could be Bill's best FA signing since Rodney. WHAT a motor. Hard to believe he's playing 80%+ of the defensive snaps. That cat is EARNING his money. I can hardly wait to see how many hurries he had this week. Not to mention that he sets the edge like Willie. Bill could use his work as training films for future generations of edge setters

5. This would have been a shutout if not for the 2 TO's. THAT's how dominant the defense was. For the most part, Darnold had no open receivers and no time to throw to them if they were. OUTSTANDING!

6. I saw Christian Barmore's presser. God, the guy had so much energy he couldn't stand still. Far from a finished product, this kid is the real deal. Right now he's doing it with brute force, just throwing OLmen aside. When he gets so moves and refines his techniques over the next few years, he's going to be hard to stop. I noticed that in some passing situations they moved him to a DE alignment. I guess they are giving him more opportunities to make plays.

7. (in a Russian accent) "Pay the man his money". That's my advice to whoever is the GM in regard to JC Jackson. This year is continuing to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Jackson is a top tier CB with serious ball skills. Hard to find them; And he will be going into his prime years. I'd like to think those prime years will be spent in NE.

8. I Liked it when the Pats moved Mac out of the pocket today. The plays weren't readily successful, but showcased some of the athleticism of Jones. He has quick feet and some acceleration when he moves. He isn't a quick twitch athlete, though his 3 cone time (7.06) seems to indicate its better than we think. The Pats have pretty much programed him to stay in the pocket, but as he develops I think we shall see that athleticism show up more and and more.

9. Mac's two sacks looked brutal, so I tried to look at them again to figure out why they happened. In his pressure Jones seemed to put all of the blame on himself for not getting the team in the best pass blocking scheme. I don't know if that's the truth. On the first one, it looked like they wanted Karras to pull and pick up the DE. On that play Karras had no chance to get there before Reddick was in Mac's face. Either Karras was too slow, or the concept didn't account for Reddick's speed, or they expected Reddick to do something else but come hard off the edge.

The Burns sack was worse. That one looked like it was all on Wynn, but in retrospect his guilt might be mitigated. It could be Mac should have changed the blocking scheme to the left which would have gotten Wynn into position to meet Burns. Perhaps Henry needed to chip another second before releasing. Or perhaps Wynn just wasn't prepared for Burn's burst. At any rate, Burns got a free shot on Mac without being touched. Whatever the reason it will have to be addressed because next week the rush will be harder.

10 I said this in the game day thread, but it bears repeating. I was among the most vocal when it came to demanding the Pats move on from Brandon Boldin. At that point he looked like he was "just" a ST'er and a redundant one at that. How wrong can a guy be. VERY! Well, Boldin again proved to be outstanding running the ball and even better catching it. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Maximum Mea Culpa

11. And speaking about RB's what a resounding effort by R Stevenson. He looked electric out there with nimble cuts and crunching hits. He was every bit the playmaker we all hoped we saw in preseason. Too bad it was all derailed by the fumble against the dolphins in that first game and it too this long for him to get out of the dog house (though I think pass blocking issues probably had more to do with it in the end) He has real soft hands as well. I think it was his acceleration that surprised me the most. For a big b1ack, he has a 2nd gear.

12. I was disappointed the passing attack was so anemic. In the pregame thread I predicted the RB's and TE's would be featured. I was half right. Well maybe NEXT week will be the game where the TE's shine.

13. What a week for upsets. Who'd have thought the Cowboys would be SHUTOUT! That the Jags would beat the Bills and hold them to 6 points. Is there a blueprint or just 'one of those days" I wouldn't mind going over the film of THAT game. "On any given Sunday" is NOT and adage, its a reality. Other oddities were, the invincible Rams getting beat at home by 12 by the Henryless Titans (who lost to the Jets) The really disappointing Niners who lost to a Cardinal team that was without Murray, Hopkins, and AJ Green and were QB'd by a 35 year old Colt freakin' McCoy. BTW Jimmy threw for over 300, but was sacked 5 times.

Interesting stat. While Shanahan DID get the Niners within 10 minutes of a championship, his overall record would have gotten a lot of HC's fired. He's 32-40 and has been to the playoffs once in his tenure. It doesn't look like they are going to make it this year either, so he will have only one playoff appearance in five year to show for his tenure there. Yet by all accounts he is looked at as untouchable. Lynch will lose his job, while Kyle is still the boy wonder; Head scratcher, right?

14. So when is Winovich due to come back from IR because Josh Uche has been my most disappointing Patriot this year. I had such high hopes for him and they've be DASHED! We need a 3rd edge rusher to spell Judon so he doesn't burn out. We know Chase can do that. Uche (thus far) can't. BTW-same question for JJones. Is he done done, or is it possible he might be able to make it back for the playoffs...if there is a playoff for this team.

15. Today was a GOOD day. A dominating defensive win over a 4-4 team who has a very good defense. Clearly we have a playoff quality defense even if we are a little thin in the secondary. Still a lot of question marks about the offense, hence the "training wheels" metaphor more steps need to be taken. goals to be accomplished and more wins stacked up before we know that THIS is a playoff team. Thanksgiving looms ahead. We might know by then.

16; Cleveland coming in after a big win in a rivalry game. They pretty much dominated a 5-3 team and won going away. Normally I'd be happy that they are coming here, but we are now 4-0 on the road and only 1-4 at the friendly confines of Gillette. A step up in competition and class. The Cleveland OL is much better than the Panther's and the Browns pass rush is even more so. We will need the training wheels to come off this week and the offense to carry more of the load. All this while our top 2 RB's will be in the concussion protocol ;eek:
Cleveland next week coming off a VERY strong game against the Bengals. Normally I'd say its a good thing we have them at home, but when your team is 4-0 on the road and only 1-4 at home, I'm not so sure. ;)

Next time please continually save your posts as you write. A good idea would be to do it in an outside document because although this forum autosaves, it doesn't "undo." So next time you accidentally highlight everything and delete it, just close the document without saving it. Then reopen it.

Next time please continually save your posts as you write. A good idea would be to do it in an outside document because although this forum autosaves, it doesn't "undo." So next time you accidentally highlight everything and delete it, just close the document without saving it. Then reopen it.

There actually is an undo function, a reverse circle on the right hand side of the function bar. It has saved my butt a few times from doing exactly what Ken did.

But your point is still well taken. @patfanken suggest you use Google docs because it'll continually save for you. Or Word, with autosave on for every minute.

Plus, the rolling eyes from everyone under 40 is going to be brutal, just brutal.

PFK Great as usual... we have come to expect this, couple of random thoughts:

Heard Zolak last week talking about Smith and his underperformance has to do with holding him back to block, as our O line needs so much work.
Christian Barmore is a beast, every week he gets more and more noticeable..
Jamie Collins is an athletic beast, that int. ++++++
Mac Jones looked tentative yesterday..
Mac Jones grabbing Burns ankle looked pretty crappy
JC Jackson is backing up his bravado, 2 int's...
Greg Gumble and Adam Archuleta made a fairly mundane game into a very boring affair, doesn't anyone from CBS evaluate their talent?? Archuleta is insufferable, someday they will ok that the radio calls will be synced with the TV broadcast...
The Pats play to the level of competition, next 2 weeks Cleveland & Tenn... suspect the same.
Head injuries to Stevenson and Harris are concerning.
The lack of preparation by the broadcast crew was glaring. They couldn’t even get the players’ names right.

But we have been spoiled the last 15-20 years getting CBS and Fox’s A and B teams. This is what you put with when you are not one of the elite teams. The C and D teams are clueless.

There actually is an undo function, a reverse circle on the right hand side of the function bar. It has saved my butt a few times from doing exactly what Ken did.

But your point is still well taken. @patfanken suggest you use Google docs because it'll continually save for you. Or Word, with autosave on for every minute.

Plus, the rolling eyes from everyone under 40 is going to be brutal, just brutal.

I'm not seeing that reverse circle...? Since I'm on a macbook pro, I just use command + Z to undo.

Does this help? How are our screens different?

1636376269048.png

Good to see the idle thoughts back. Missed you and them Patfanken, they are some of the more thought out impressions of the games. You are one of the few posters I follow for game impressions. Thank you for the time and insightful thought you put into this effort. Looking forward to many more.

I would like to join the confession about Brandon Bolden. "Time for him to go ... need to get younger ... thank you for your service...." Oops. He's been a lifesaver.

Great post as always!

Back in the late 90s I had a hard drive die on me for the first time. Fortunately, at the time I wasn't yet storing anything truly important, but there was a lot of stuff that had some sentimental value.

Hard lesson learned, ever since then I've been absolutely anal about keeping backups.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

I was on this program as well. You are not alone.

It doesnt matter the sheer amount of evidence that piles up - there are those that simply cannot get past name or draft status. That's not saying that NFL teams don't need some star talent - they absolutely do, but it doesnt have to be at every position for a team to succeed. Talent isn't always apparent on day 1 either, or even day 100, but sometimes on day 101 is when the switch goes off and it's worth the wait.
That's one down side of fantasy football, it causes new fans to think of the game as being one of individual players rather than a team sport. BB tends to use almost every man on the squad so they all stay in the game and are ready should one go down. It kind of confuses people who think the goal is to run up fantasy points.

I was wondering if anyone was going to give Myles Bryant some love this week and ofcourse you noticed Ken.

Good write up as usual. This team is starting to remind me of that 1990 Giants team that Parcells and BB took all the way to the big game. Strong defense, capable conservative offense with a formidable ground attack and a QB who can make the throws while managing the field. Gotta love it. Things are getting exciting.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back