PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts: the reboot edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
5. Dominic Easly's debut hasn't been earth shattering, his pick notwithstanding, he has shown some decent push and explosiveness in limited but increasing snaps. I'm still convinced we are going to like this kid.

Let's put it this way about Easley: Have you seen Gronk these first 2 games back from ACL? OK, we all know HE'S going to get better as he rehabs that leg back into shape.

Wait'll we get a load of Easley later this year!

Last edited:
Let's put it this way about Easley: Have you seen Gronk these first 2 games back from ACL? OK, we all know he's going to get better as he rehabs that leg back into shape. Easley will be a real weapon later in the year too.

Gronk simply is not smooth out there. Timing, cuts, etc. I'm trying to draw some parallels to when WW returned in 2010. He was productive, but he was not what he was in 2009 and was appreciably better in 2011. It just might take Gronk the whole year to get to where he was prior to the injury.

In addition, I'm not sure what to make of his catch/target % dropping 3 straight years. Not much of a difference from 2011 to 2012 but it was down in 2013 (comfort level with arm for sure) and so far this year (ACL). I'll notch it to time missed & injuries for now but something to certainly keep an eye on and see if there is improvement as the season goes on.

Last edited:
I think Hightower is a good example of "you can only do what they ask" syndrome. Don't forget that I was among the first to complain that Hightower was not showing us any of the explosiveness we saw in the college highlitght films his rookie year. But I really did think he was getting a raw deal last season by the complainers. especially after Mayo was hurt. For an inexperienced guy. playing out of position, I thought he did a good job. I mean some people were upset when he was unable to match up in man to man coverage with the likes of CJ Spiller and other RB's. :eek: I mean DUH

I'm reminded of Drew Boylhart's 2012 scouting report on Hightower:

Dont'a Hightower, LB/DE, Alabama
Talent Board - Round 1

STRENGTHS

Dont'a is a pass rushing machine. He has excellent size, strength and speed and his explosion off the line of scrimmage is one of the best I have ever seen at any size. Dont'a has very mature pass rushing skills and his power off the line combined with his explosive speed makes Dont'a one of the more unique pass rushers I have seen at the college level. Dont'a has the potential to be as good as Derrick Thomas (former LB/DE Kansas City Chiefs). He shows very good change of direction skills and can play multiple positions in just about any style defense you want to run. He has those long arms and legs that the NFL scouts look for in a pass rusher and the explosiveness and speed to drop off the line and defend in zone coverage or man-to-man in passing situations. When he puts his hand on the ground in a 4-3 front and rushes the passer, it is frightening for the opponent's QB. He fights through double teams and gives excellent effort on every play. I call him Dont'a (The Magnificent) Hightower.

CONCERNS

Dont'a is playing middle linebacker for his college team, but that is not his impact position for the next level. He has to think too much and right now, he doesn't show the instincts needed to play that position for the next level. He hesitates and his athletic talent is covering up a lot of false steps and the fact that he is susceptible to play action.

BOTTOM LINE

Dont'a has the potential to be a big time star in the NFL for the team that drafts him. His linebacker skills are lacking maturity because, he has changed positions just about every year he has played. At this point his impact position is as a OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense, but he will also impact as a OLB in a 4-3 or DE in a 4-3. Dont'a should impact right away as a pass rusher and if you keep his assignments simple for awhile, he should impact as an OLB also. Don't get me wrong, Dont'a is smart enough but right now, he is thinking way too much, which is creating delays in his reactions. Draft this kid and use him to attack the line of scrimmage and he has a chance to be defensive rookie of the year. Make him your middle linebacker and you will have to wait a few years to feel the full force of his impact. Either way, Dont'a is a top ten player in my book.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2012profiles/Donta.Hightower.htm

In retrospect, a pretty prescient scouting report.

Gronk simply is not smooth out there. Timing, cuts, etc. I'm trying to draw some parallels to when WW returned in 2010. He was productive, but he was not what he was in 2009 and was appreciably better in 2011. It just might take Gronk the whole year to get to where he was prior to the injury.

In 2010, Welker went from 8.2 ypc in September, to 7.8 upc in Octpber, to 10.9 ypc in November, to 12.2 ypc in December.

So evidently, his speed, routes and confidence in running increased as the year wore on.

I think we'll see the same with Gronk.

I'm not all that happy that @patfanken is back to be honest. This board needs less balanced, informative and engaging football opinions and more double, double, toil and trouble posting.
Then you must have been in your element after the Dolphins game :p

And yes I understood your post as the sarcasm it was intended to be.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way about Easley: Have you seen Gronk these first 2 games back from ACL? OK, we all know HE'S going to get better as he rehabs that leg back into shape.

Wait'll we get a load of Easley later this year!

In 2010, Welker went from 8.2 ypc in September, to 7.8 upc in Octpber, to 10.9 ypc in November, to 12.2 ypc in December.

So evidently, his speed, routes and confidence in running increased as the year wore on.

I think we'll see the same with Gronk.

Easley tore his ACL on September 24, 2013, almost exactly a year ago. Gronk tore his on December 9, just over 9 months ago. Easley and also come back from a prior ACL, so he had the confidence to know what was involved in recovering. He said this week that he's still not 100%, so I'm sure Gronk isn't either, plus there is the issue of getting confidence back, which is usually the limiting factor for most player's recoveries from this injury.

I'm happy to see a limited Gronk slowly work his way back, and can wait until playoff time to see the full package. Easley should be a beast by mid-season. BB lauded his work ethic and intelligence, and the Pats are already using him at multiple positions on the DL.

Man, that was the lamest excuse for disappearing that I've ever read. My sources told me that you had been hired as the driver of Jerry Jones' Stripper Bus and were exhausted from endless days and nights circling the Washington Monument while Jerry Jones boasted to NFL officials about how inspired he was by it's immensity. So which is it?

PFK - your voice of reason was sorely missed.. Glad you are ok and back.

I'm not all that happy that @patfanken is back to be honest. This board needs less balanced, informative and engaging football opinions and more double, double, toil and trouble posting.

I know exactly what you mean. Ken's cogent and insightful posts always makes me think.

....And, of course, thinking makes my head hurt, ow! :D

All kidding aside, welcome back Ken, you were missed.

Glad to see Ken has returned...have missed his insight into what makes some of us fans scratch our heads when it comes to the Pats play......whether it be coaching or player personnel.

Great to see you back glad everything is alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back