PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "pregame" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also be remiss if I didn't thank you for the kind words. Like BGC, I take it as a high compliment from a respected poster.

. When watching JaxI notice d their LB's are further than most consistently from the los. About 6 yards away when I see 4.5-5 from most teams. Seemed to stick out.

In terms of spacing, they almost give up some easy, short yards to mobile QB weekly bc of this.

Specifically, bc Brady isn't Wilson. How do see us taking advantage of this with 2 back sets?

Have my own thoughts but I'd like to hear yours?
That's an excellent observation on the LB's. I noticed that too. I'm guessing that they keep them that deep for 2 reasons. First because of their speed, and 2nd it gives them more open space to avoid the bigger TE's and OLmen they have to face.

While I'm writing I'm thinking about blocking schemes to combat that. Of the top of my head I would want to run isolations on the LB's with double teams to create width at the point of attack. The way to defeat that is for the LB to fill AT the point of attack. If he is as deep as they play it, it will be difficult to get into the hole. IF the LB and FB meet a yd or two past the LOS, the RB now has the room to cut off the FB's block and get into the 2ndary.

My thoughts on having, say Burkhead and Lewis in the same backfield give us lots of misdirection opportunities for Josh to draw up, especially from under C and even in shotgun. Just go back and look at some of the single wing teams of the pre 50's and you never would know where the ball was IF you looked in the backfield.

Just for fun picture this. Lewis and Burkhead line up on either side of Brady in the shotgun. Brady fakes a handoff to Lewis going across his face to the opposite OT hole. Burkhead takes off on a wheel route to the opposite direction. Both TE's stay in to block at first then leak out to the seams. Lewis and that side of the OL set up a screen, while SE (Z) runs a skinny post to match the wheel rout with the TE underneath as a dump off.

Back in the day, you taught your LB's NEVER look into the backfield. Those guy LIE. The OL will tell you where the play is going. Read your OL keys THEN find the ball. I'm not sure that's what they teach these days Seems like all the LB's are looking into the backfield first. And for good reason. There is VERY little misdirection these days because of the fact teams run one back offenses and even when the FB is in there he never gets the ball. (People often forget that Jim Brown was a FB, NOT a HB. Back in the day FB's got the ball too.)

SO if its true that these LB's are used to reading backfield keys, then misdirection in a 2 RB backfield can be very effective, especially with a good ball handling QB...which we have....if healthy

Think about the running plays you could. You could double the DT, kick out the DE with the opposite G, run a motioning TE thru the hole at the LB, while at the same time faking to the other RB to limit any backside pursuit. This would be much easier to describe on a chalkboard. ;)

“There’s a man on my flight from Denver to Boston wearing a Bills jacket and Jaguars hat. A lot to digest there.”

That's an excellent observation on the LB's. I noticed that too. I'm guessing that they keep them that deep for 2 reasons. First because of their speed, and 2nd it gives them more open space to avoid the bigger TE's and OLmen they have to face.

While I'm writing I'm thinking about blocking schemes to combat that. Of the top of my head I would want to run isolations on the LB's with double teams to create width at the point of attack. The way to defeat that is for the LB to fill AT the point of attack. If he is as deep as they play it, it will be difficult to get into the hole. IF the LB and FB meet a yd or two past the LOS, the RB now has the room to cut off the FB's block and get into the 2ndary.

My thoughts on having, say Burkhead and Lewis in the same backfield give us lots of misdirection opportunities for Josh to draw up, especially from under C and even in shotgun. Just go back and look at some of the single wing teams of the pre 50's and you never would know where the ball was IF you looked in the backfield.

Just for fun picture this. Lewis and Burkhead line up on either side of Brady in the shotgun. Brady fakes a handoff to Lewis going across his face to the opposite OT hole. Burkhead takes off on a wheel route to the opposite direction. Both TE's stay in to block at first then leak out to the seams. Lewis and that side of the OL set up a screen, while SE (Z) runs a skinny post to match the wheel rout with the TE underneath as a dump off.

Back in the day, you taught your LB's NEVER look into the backfield. Those guy LIE. The OL will tell you where the play is going. Read your OL keys THEN find the ball. I'm not sure that's what they teach these days Seems like all the LB's are looking into the backfield first. And for good reason. There is VERY little misdirection these days because of the fact teams run one back offenses and even when the FB is in there he never gets the ball. (People often forget that Jim Brown was a FB, NOT a HB. Back in the day FB's got the ball too.)

SO if its true that these LB's are used to reading backfield keys, then misdirection in a 2 RB backfield can be very effective, especially with a good ball handling QB...which we have....if healthy

Think about the running plays you could. You could double the DT, kick out the DE with the opposite G, run a motioning TE thru the hole at the LB, while at the same time faking to the other RB to limit any backside pursuit. This would be much easier to describe on a chalkboard. ;)

Outstanding write up. The bolded part really caught my attention and I think you're very much on to something here.

As far as misdirection goes, I think it could really work, and we've seen it work to some degree this season already, and even in the Tennessee game. The key is Lewis. I've noticed a handful of times in each game, the linebackers lose Dion behind the LOS because of his diminutive height. With an aggressive defense like Jax, it's possible to take advantage of some very wrong pursuit angles.

“There’s a man on my flight from Denver to Boston wearing a Bills jacket and Jaguars hat. A lot to digest there.”

When we were growing up, my little brother liked to be the resident contrarian, so he first picked the Redskins to be his football team. Then he saw the awesomeness of Bo Jackson and he stuck with the Raiders. But he also had some of my Pats hand-me-downs, in particular a ball cap.

So one day, he's wearing a Redskins sweatshirt, Raiders jacket and a Pats cap. He was just standing there when some random dude stopped, looked at him like...

1491670180_kevin-hart-wtf.gif

...and said, "damn, you messed up"...and then just kept walking down the street. Nowadays, my brother is a true Los Angeles resident that couldn't give two federal ****s about football, but my father still gives him **** about that day.

I can't wait to see what, if any, variations we put into that wheel. We've seen Bell add a Hitch so to speak. Maybe a fake wheel, slant after clearing out underneath?

Also attacking east/west will hold the backside end for a moment.

(You can always tell good LB's bc the follow C/G) at least imho

That’s messed up. Reminds me of the crazy video on you tube.

Super bowl effects people like a virus. Look that up. There’s 3 guys watching last years game one pats fan and two falcons fans. The last score happens and the pats fan sees them change shirts to pats. He then shoots them both

I really don't think the Pats' D is being talked about enough. I don't see the Jag's O scoring more than 13 points, and their (Jags) D will have to score for them to win.

I really don't think the Pats' D is being talked about enough. I don't see the Jag's O scoring more than 13 points, and their (Jags) D will have to score for them to win.

The pats have to not turn the ball over. I watched the pitt game, that’s why they lost. I also tonight watched jimmy put the beat down on the jags. From what I could gather, they ran go routes on both sides and brought a tight end over the middle on one side and a running back on the other. Jimmy just kept hitting who ever got open and carved these guys up. Rapist burger did pretty much the same but tried to force it into brown too much and took strip sacks and interceptions. One thing San Fran did that pitt did not do was control the tempo more. Pitt seemed excited and out of control while San Fran looked calmer.

As always. A nice post ken

The one thing that I do like about our offensive scheme is the fact we have so many different options to manipulate the Jags with.

I think our D can win this for us as well today. I can see Gilmore having a solid game and Butler will step up.

Think Harrison and KVN are going to be huge for us.

I'm always a bit antsy when a team comes in facing a big point spread that they decide to start throwing haymakers looking for a lucky knockout. Onside kicks , Flacco-bombs that go for 50yd DPI, jailbreak blitzes. I'm sure BB has covered all that stuff in his situational coaching. But still, sometimes they work.

How do people read Marrone? Is he likely to go this route?

I'm always a bit antsy when a team comes in facing a big point spread that they decide to start throwing haymakers looking for a lucky knockout. Onside kicks , Flacco-bombs that go for 50yd DPI, jailbreak blitzes. I'm sure BB has covered all that stuff in his situational coaching. But still, sometimes they work.

How do people read Marrone? Is he likely to go this route?

He’s real likely to take that route. They play like they have nothing to lose and tossed one haymaker after another at pitt

Refreshing, unexpected thread today PFK, thought provoking as usual...

Your initial comment about bringing in a 3rd QB after the #12 injury got me to thinking, who would they have brought into this offense that is predicated on precision timing for about two practices and a walk through??? If Cassel, Brisset or another recent back up was out there that would be a possibility, but as they are not, no one else makes much sense..

Also think all the banter this week about Hoyer's 4 int + fumble playoff game for Houston in 2016 is an exception for him, he is usually more "serviceable" than that.. I hope he never sees the field until "victory formation", but this team, system and coaching is much different than the Houston team..

Brian Hoyer: Career Stats at NFL.com

I am always cautious ( lingering effects of being a life long RS and Pats fan), but am confident that BB and his crew have put together a good game plan that will offer the Pats an opportunity to win.. the coaching continuity and maturity of this team will prevail. Of course there is always a nice dose of #12 to expedite the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back