PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "patience" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Forgot to mention Malarkey's game time management to end the half. Calling the timeout when it was needed and the team should have had a running play. This si where someone like BB makes those guys look like amateurs.

I'm guessing you're referring to the Titans final timeout. Unfortunately, they HAD to call the timeout there. If they hadn't, they'd have been flagged for delay of game since the Play-clock was about to run out. The play clock was down to 3 seconds and the Titans still weren't even close to being set.

The previous play had been a run by Mariota that gave the Titans a 4th and 1. It took the offense 37 seconds to get down the field and they still weren't ready. That is on the Titans coaching staff and the players for a lack of situational awareness. They should have been in 2 min drill and they should have been running the hurry-up.

They didn't and it cost them the game.

Glad to see the stuff that was making me grumpy was shared around here. At one point my wife asked me why I was talking back to the announcer about injured right tackles.

Romo as an announcer is just like Romo the quarterback. Most of what he says is just everyday stuff, then once in a while he says something unusually insightful (for the average color guy) and it leaves us wondering: why doesn't he do that all the time, if he can do it some of the time? He could be really good if he'd try to be thoughtful and insist on quality from himself. Instead, the few good things he says get lost in the wash of his mediocrity.

More than most folks realize, most of what is said in the broadcast booth is pre-scripted. It's why they have "production meetings" with the coaches and players prior to the broadcast - to come up with "talking points"/notes/historical blurbs & references/stats/general comments, etc. Because most booth guys (unlike Romo) can't, on their own, come up with enough to say without leaving considerable dead air (as if that would be a bad thing).

Inevitably, most of this pre-scripted stuff from the production team is simplistic and cliche-filled for the benefit of their "lowest common denominator" audience. But the booth guys are more or less required to use at least some of it since it's often synchronized with the script that the video director is following - all of which is timed to fit with the use of on-screen graphics and to fit between plays and around commercial breaks.

So, the entire presentation of a game really is "a show".

Anyway, while Romo could probably wing it for 3+ hours of broadcast and provide much more entertaining and intelligent commentary, he does inevitably need to stay on the same page with the rest of the production team (it's part of his job). So, when you hear him doing the all-too-common BS that everyone else does, it's almost certainly because he's reading it.

Somehow the quotes got erased... to the post 4-5 above about the NYT piece

Very good piece, I think. I was surprised I could read it without being blocked? I agree with your summary of it. Thanks.

P.S. did anyone read the NYT piece today on BB. my 5 freebies for the month is run out. would be curious to know what the take was on his "ruthless" style. was it a negative picture or a reluctantly praising??

Just clear your cache!

Good point. Romo was at his best pointing out the mismatch on the weak side that the Pats were exploiting, just as he was when he pointed out how they finally fixed it, but long after the damage was done.

Last night was Romo's worst game since the 1st one he called, imho. He was wrong on several occasions, including the reason the Titans had to spend their final Time out of the first half as well as the False Start Penalty on Taywan Taylor.

That being said, he does a very good job otherwise. He treats his job as if he's watching game film and explains it, which I think is great.

Harrison also drew an offensive holding call which negated a 1st down conversion, and I believe led to a punt. Was it the first drive after half? I don't totally remember. But it was when the game was still on the line.

Just wanted to thank the Steelers for handing us such a useful piece for the playoffs.
I neglected to point out the impact Harrison has had on the defense. KNOWING that the edge is going to be set on early downs has a huge impact on your defensive planning. The Pats have that now with Harrison. It almost like he puts on a clinic on the technique. Funny how most people thought that PERHAPS he might add to the Pats pass rush when he came, and that might happen, but his impact vs the run game has shown up early and often. And no matter who we end up playing, stopping the run game will be key.

Last edited:
PFK in playoff form.
All I can add is:
The Bill Belichick Way requires building a roster with quality NFL depth because his teams play 19 games/year. The strength of his teams are often measured not by the starting 22 but by the next 20 men on his roster.
Most NFL teams fail to heed the Bill Belichick Way. Teams like Dallas habitually collapse after one key injury. Tennessee collapsed after two. Losing Demarco Murray in the regular season was a key injury that minimized the Titans offense....and their only true NFL RB option was a plodding Clysdale. Losing their stud tackle was their death blow.

The Titans dressed only 4 DL and BB exploited it.
The Titans handed off to one RB
The Titans OL collapsed after losing stud tackle Conklin

I think it's rather disingenuous of you to call Henry a "plodding Clydesdale". Henry is a younger version of Legerette Blount who also happens to be a better pass catcher than Blount. In his short career, Henry is averaging better than 4.3 YPC with a 75 Yrd TD run this year.

The issue I saw with the Titans Offense was that they gave up too easily on running with Henry. Not having a complimentary back certainly hurt them.

QB rating is not a stat it’s a formula. A formula designed to allow novice fans to look at a sampling of passing stats and apply them to a scale intended to weight them in a certain way.
It should NEVER be used as a judgment if qb play and is horrifically flawed.

Here we go again. QB passer rating is not perfect, but let's consider this :
(1) It's a statistic : any single statistic is some kind of formula. For example, in baseball, we would say a batter has 1 hit in 3 attempts, that's a 0.333 batting average, which is a formula.
(2) Again, getting back to the baseball analogy, QB rating isn't meant to be analyzed with a small sample. Some batter who is 2 for 4 in a single game isn't a career 0.500 hitter. Nobody would say that the batting average is flawed because the results of a single game doesn't show the whole picture.
(3) The whole idea of statistics is to try to find a correlation to something. If it doesn't mean anything, there's no point in the statistic. And, in football, there isn't any statistic that has an higher correlation to winning championships that the differential between a team offense passer rating and defense passer rating over a whole season.

So yes, QB rating is a relevant statistic. But, like any other statistic, the context in which the statistic is used is important.

Let me point you to a very recent QuickSlants podcast where Curran, Mayo and Perry talk about exactly this.

Jerod Mayo on how possibility of losing McDaniels and Patricia would impact Patriots future

It should start at about 9 minutes but I recommend listening to the entire thing.

In a nutshell there is no understanding like that but generally they go out to Bill and "ask permission" which however is more about being polite.
That’s not really what the podcast says.
It says that they will ask bbs approval to take an assistant away. Given the overhaul of the staff that is projected it’s hard to imagine B.B. would agree to let them walk.
And why would any of them leave?

It says that they will ask bbs approval to take an assistant away. Given the overhaul of the staff that is projected it’s hard to imagine B.B.

That is not how I read what was said. Asking BB is pure courtesy but in the end you cant force people to stay with you that want to leave to move upwards.

And why would any of them leave?

You realize the irony of you asking why would assistants leave for a place where they get a promotion, right ?

1. Regarding Cooks I don't trust him to make the tough catch when they need it they way I do Gronk, DA, Hogan, White....I was hoping for Deion Branch but he's closer to Brandon Lloyd. That's not bad but it's not a true #1. Aso he seems to stop running when he looks back at the QB time and time again. If he ran through the catch he would have anther 500 yards receiving.

2. I hope Pitt wins. I think it's the better matchup for the Pats. I think the game will be a lot more entertaining. And yet when I watch today there's zero chance I'll be rooting for them. Such a whiny and self entitled team and fan base. They're entitled to the immaculate reception and extension, the brutal calls in the Seahawks SB of 05, the Mike Renfro no catch and on and on but that no catch which was correct you would still think you killed their dog.

3. I generally don't begrudge the announcers trying to play up the underdog. It's part of the job. But Romo making it seem like the refs were handing the Pats the game was too much. The Decker OPI was ticky tack but I think what earned him the penalty was pushing off the face mask. If he hadn't made contact there I think the refs let it go. On the offsides on the punt it was flat out the right call. It's not like nationally every call for the Pats is viewed as BS and every call against as justice already. His playing into it just as to that delusion. Anybody who thinks they get every call should go watch the Carolina game.

4. Matty Ice my ass. All those weapons and he puts up 10 points all the direct result of TOs and nothing in the second half.

5. If the Pats play the Vikings in the SB the HFA won't be dramatically different than facing anybody else. Unless you're a Pats fan or a fan hat simply hates the Pats opponent you're rooting for the other team. I think it would be fun to beat the first home SB team.

6. Props to the OL and DL who after the first quarter dominated the game. Romo made such a big deal about how the Titans were the more physical team on both sides of the ball. Not so much Tony.

7. James White playoff monster.

8. I hope Gronk and Brady break the Montana and Rice playoff TD record. They've both been fickle at best about the Pats run so they can suck on it.

9. 9 straight division titles, 8 straight byes, 7 straight championship games. And we wonder why other fan bases are done with the Pats run and that's without talking about the first part of the dynasty.

10. Jags and Steelers 9-6 triple OT where both teams have both units play over 100 plays. A guy can dream. :)

1. I'm not entirely sure what defines a "true #1" WR. Guys like Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Antonio Brown feel like they are. Maybe OBJ. Fitzgerald (in his prime), Megatron. Britt might've become one, if he'd started his career with the Pats. Dez Bryant, I think, just acts like he is.

Anyway, I don't think Cooks is one of those guys. I don't think he ever has been, and I'm not sure he ever will be. I'm also not sure why folks expect him to be or why they care whether he's a "true #1" or not.

2. & 10. I'd love for the Steelers to blow the Jags out, but get beat up in the process. ****y and weaker than they think they are makes Steelers easier much more satisfying to fry.

6. The supposed strength of the Titans'OL and DL was one of the pre-scripted themes/storylines/narratives for this "show" that came out of the production meeting. Romo was just following the script on that stuff.

So yes, QB rating is a relevant statistic.

QB rating as as little relevance as other garbage stats like DVOA or PFF grades. Might as well just go and use fantasy points scored instead.

You play to win the game and not maximize individual ratings. And as long as there are many situations where doing things that actually decreases those stats improves your chance to win the game there is no overall value in using them to judge players, units or teams.

Here we go again.
And here we will always go when passer rating is touted as a way to judge QBs.

QB passer rating is not perfect, but let's consider this :
(1) It's a statistic : any single statistic is some kind of formula. For example, in baseball, we would say a batter has 1 hit in 3 attempts, that's a 0.333 batting average, which is a formula.
No. Batting AVERAGE is 2 statistics, hits and at bats expressed in an equation that is unnecessary if you do the math yourself.
Passer rating is a formula that awards points based upon preconceived categories and weights them vs made up standards (most of which are not relevant to the game today) that cherry picks categories that by nature conflixtveith each other to create a meaningless number.

(2) Again, getting back to the baseball analogy, QB rating isn't meant to be analyzed with a small sample.

It’s used that way.

Some batter who is 2 for 4 in a single game isn't a career 0.500 hitter. Nobody would say that the batting average is flawed because the results of a single game doesn't show the whole picture.
Batting average expresses a players ability to get a hit. It is comparable player to player for that SINGLE aspect.
Passer rating isn’t even in the same universe as that.

(3) The whole idea of statistics is to try to find a correlation to something. If it doesn't mean anything, there's no point in the statistic.
That is totally wrong. Statistic exist. Manipulating them to believe you have correlation isn’t their reason for existence.

And, in football, there isn't any statistic that has an higher correlation to winning championships that the differential between a team offense passer rating and defense passer rating over a whole season.
Based upon what?
Success in passing and defending the pass are clearly important. That doesn’t mean a formula created for novice fans is accurate as a judgment of QBs. It is terrible flawed.

So yes, QB rating is a relevant statistic. But, like any other statistic, the context in which the statistic is used is important.
The data that make up passer rating is important and A PART of judging a qb. That plus the other relevant data, AND OBSERVATION is how you judge QBs, not by a random formula made up of random criteria.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not how I read what was said. Asking BB is pure courtesy but in the end you cant force people to stay with you that want to leave to move upwards.
They literally said that if a coordinator recruits an assistant they will go to B.B. and there will be a sit down.
It’s not a matter of forcing them to stay it’s a matter of B.B. telling the coordinator who leaves that so and so are off limits.

You realize the irony of you asking why would assistants leave for a place where they get a promotion, right ?
Who is getting a promotion?
Flores and OShea are getting the coordinator job here.
Who do you think besides them is going to be offered a coordinating job?

No irony at all because they would be getting the same job there as here.

Why would O’Shea pass up pats OC job to follow mcd?
Why would Flores pass up pats dc to follow either?

Thanks for the pointer. I thought the Times story was pretty good. Focused on how BB is always alone on the sidelines, but still communicates very effectively with his team. Used the first quarter game flow to tie it together. Also wove in a discussion about the BSPN hit piece, hinting that it was Belichick's handiwork to light a fire under Brady. Entertaining read, well written, as long as you don't insist on distinguishing between fact and fiction.

Here's the link, for convenience if anyone else wants to take a look: Patriots Stick Together the Way They Know Best, Ruthlessly
As entertainment, I thought the article was OK. But as "reporting" it was delusional as a Seth Wickersham piece. I mean the entire narrative is based on the extreme supposition that it was Bellichick or one of his camp that was the source of the story. And that they did it to light a fire under Brady and the rest of the team. The whole, "Bellichick stands alone" saga is just that. It's like a snap shot without seeing the entire picture. BB talks to his coaches, congratulates players, etc all the time.

Like I said, as entertaining semi-fiction, this article was OK, but the narrative the author was trying to create was pure fiction.

I'm guessing you're referring to the Titans final timeout. Unfortunately, they HAD to call the timeout there. If they hadn't, they'd have been flagged for delay of game since the Play-clock was about to run out. The play clock was down to 3 seconds and the Titans still weren't even close to being set.

The previous play had been a run by Mariota that gave the Titans a 4th and 1. It took the offense 37 seconds to get down the field and they still weren't ready. That is on the Titans coaching staff and the players for a lack of situational awareness. They should have been in 2 min drill and they should have been running the hurry-up.

They didn't and it cost them the game.
That didn’t cost them the game.

Just as FYI, the production of Cooks in this market is closer to Gilmore's numbers than $8m. There is talk of guys like Benjamin and Matthews at the Bills getting $10m. I'm expecting Cooks to get $10-11m.

It's the new market.

To those who don't think Cooks is a #1 receiver, I'd like to mention that he had the 10th most yards of any WR this year despite the fewest targets among that group (Gronk was #10 overall, but he's a TE). So if a top 10 guy isn't good enough to be a #1 on a team, then maybe we use the term "number one receiver" incorrectly. Cooks has room to grow, but for his first season with the team, I think he's been pretty good. Sooner or later, he and Brady will end up on the same page for some of those deep passes -- I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 5 receiver next year, by yardage.

They literally said that if a coordinator recruits an assistant they will go to B.B. and there will be a sit down.
It’s not a matter of forcing them to stay it’s a matter of B.B. telling the coordinator who leaves that so and so are off limits.
I don't think BB can tell Josh or Matt "someone is off limits"if they are moving to a better job, NOR do I think he'd do it if he could. Such a meeting, as Mayo said, is a courtesy to someone you respected.

Why would O’Shea pass up pats OC job to follow mcd?
Why would Flores pass up pats dc to follow either?
That one is simple. There are a couple of reasons. One is perhaps they have a personal relationship with Josh or Matt that they want to continue. But more importantly, perhaps they want to create their OWN identity outside of the Pats. Bellichick's shadow is omnipresent within the Pats, and maybe there is a part of some of these guys that wants to get from under that looming presence. OR perhaps they don't.

Time will tell, Andy. I hold out the slim hope that Josh might be willing to wait with the strategy that he can hope that the Titan job will open next year (and I expect it will), and plan B would be to wait until Bill retires. Probably just a fantasy on my part, but I have an active fantasy side. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes