PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "on to Atlanta" edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People blame when it's quiet enough to hear a fly break wind on the acoustics, usually saying that the "crowd was really loud when they were there". Uh... no. Last night and the week before against the Texans showed that the stadium can get very loud when the crowd is good. The acoustics don't stop that. It ends the argument. The stadium needs less wine and cheese wimps and more drunks with a better atmosphere. Every home game should sound like that.

if they lower the ticket prices it will be ;)

People blame when it's quiet enough to hear a fly break wind on the acoustics, usually saying that the "crowd was really loud when they were there". Uh... no. Last night and the week before against the Texans showed that the stadium can get very loud when the crowd is good. The acoustics don't stop that. It ends the argument. The stadium needs less wine and cheese wimps and more drunks with a better atmosphere. Every home game should sound like that.

Kontra-

Did you fly up for the game?

Kontra-

Did you fly up for the game?

No. I wish. My next trip to Boston isn't scheduled until October of next year. I would have but I have vacations to D.C., Chicago, Austin, and the Keys all planned for this year. My vacation budget is maxed out after that although I am taking Super Bowl donations. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Ken, once again, you knocked this one out of the stadium. Always enjoy reading your stuff. Few quick things to add:

b. the GL stand at the end of the first half was game changing. First and goal at the one foot line is coverted over 95% of the time. You might have a small shot say at the 2 or 3 yd line, but ONE foot? Valentine's play was game changing.
e. I couldn't believe that on 4th down at the 2 yd line, the Steelers would run a play to their 5th best receiver (Hamilton) when they could have thrown the ball to Brown, Rogers, James or Andrews. This was at a point in the game where it was essentially the Steelers last chance to make it a game. And they compound the insanity by throwing a ball that wouldn't have led to a score if it had been completed. I was totally baffled.
IMG_20170123_110950.jpg

Absolutely agree on both ends. Just looking at this the playcalling was suspect. Ben could have audibled here or at least called his own number and push the pile forward once or twice. He isn't 255 lbs for nothing. And then immediately you see him looking behind (he knows he is about to get hit) and looks at the safety. Very strange. But then again,

IMG_20170123_164915.jpg

Here the RB has 4 defenders to beat. So great GL stand. Just awesome.

. It is my fondest wish we have this ref crew for the superbowl. NO penalties in the first half, and just 5 for 29 yds for BOTH teams. What a pleasure. When this is the result, I don't care if they miss a few.

Here is a remarkable stat for you:
This was the FIRST playoff game since 2006 (!!!!!!!!) with ZERO (!!!!!!!!!) penalties called the entire first half. That's why it went by so dang fast. I agree, bring these guys back.

When I go to games I enjoy watching the receivers. It's something we can't do watching on the boob tube.

a) On the flea flicker to Hogan, as soon as I saw Blount turn around I started scanning the field to see what the receivers were doing. And there was Hogan coming straight at us with a step or two on the db. The moment I saw it I yelled "he's got him" and watched as Brady dropped one right on the money. It was a thing of beauty.

b) JE really is an incredible talent. He manages to squeeze out yards in ways that border on impossible.

c) Danny Amendola, the guy that people want to dump each year, has proven how clutch he is in some of the biggest games. Luckily, before the game I entered a raffle and won a couple of prizes, one of which was a very nice framed autographed picture of DA. So there's that.

d) Mitchel is going to really break out soon. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

e) I'm looking at Bennet's pom pom dance as a good sign concerning his ankle injury. It can't be too bad if he can bounce around like that. His lap around the field and the fans reaction to it gave me goose bumps.

f) Floyd is another one of those veteran guys who has come here and needs to grasp the offense. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hogan really sold the flea flicker well off the line also.

Saw the pom pom dance, great stuff...haven't seen video of Bennett's lap though - anyone have it?

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I've been wondering what they will do with Tre Jackson next year. Maybe try converting him to play some center?
I'm not in a rush to move on from Andrews, nor do I have a clue if Jackson will ever be healthy, but playing along, Thuney was regarded as a strong Center candidate coming out of the draft if that's what his team needed. So if you wanted to go down the Jackson path, him at LG and Thuney at Center would likely be the change.

Best comment I saw on the KC Forum was in regards to Hogan:

"He's going in dry...."

Lol.

Sure looked like he was. KC fanbase is salty right now.

I'm not in a rush to move on from Andrews, nor do I have a clue if Jackson will ever be healthy, but playing along, Thuney was regarded as a strong Center candidate coming out of the draft if that's what his team needed. So if you wanted to go down the Jackson path, him at LG and Thuney at Center would likely be the change.
isn't Andrews and Thuney technically both undersized?

we are set long term at RT and RG, not sure about LT and what solder's condition and contract looks like but lets assume good there too long term

its C and LG that are issues, thuney and andrews might physically never be top 5 at their positions b/c of size...Thuney is bigger though to putting him at C and assuming a sophmore bump he might make an excellent C, if Tre can play LG

I'm worried about andrews for next year...

Why?

Do you realize that the Andrews/Brady combination has resulted in exactly one loss? They are 24-1, with their only loss coming from that Seattle game this season.

isn't Andrews and Thuney technically both undersized?
Thuney is 6'5". He is only undersized from a weight/muscle standpoint but he can take care of that in a full NFL offseason. Whatever you consider him now, he won't be undersized for long.

Why?

Do you realize that the Andrews/Brady combination has resulted in exactly one loss? They are 24-1, with their only loss coming from that Seattle game this season.

And that Seattle loss was a defensive failure more than an offensive one. That was the first game after the Collins trade and the defense was in transition.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
And that Seattle loss was a defensive failure more than an offensive one. That was the first game after the Collins trade and the defense was in transition.

And a coaching one. Not scoring on a 1st and goal was pathetic, especially after taking a knee on one down.

And a coaching one. Not scoring on a 1st and goal was pathetic, especially after taking a knee on one down.

It seemed like the Pats were trying to kill as much clock as they could before scoring since they had no confidence in stopping Seattle after they scored.

A QB sneak on 1st down from the 3 or 4 yard line is not a play that you expect to score on.

Hogan really sold the flea flicker well off the line also.

There is something about a Flea Flicker play that gives me more enjoyment than any other (for us and when successful) in the game of football.. I get such a buzz out of that trick play that when it happens there is almost a certain fluid secretion.;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes