PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the insomniac edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts after watching the game and reading some of the comments.

1. Overall I was very happy with the first offensive group. In fact all 3 offensive groups played relatively well. My biggest concern going into this game was the OL And even though they kept running guys in and out of the line up, like commuters going through a turnstile, The OL gave Brady plenty of time (1 hurry I hit, and helped generate a running attack that accumulated over 250 yds

2. The media pukes want us to believe that all the movement going on with the OL is because the Pats aren't happy with certain players or their performances. I disagree. BB is simply trying to discern what he has and how versatile they are.

With a talented team roster spots are at a premium. At MOST, BB will keep only 9 offensive linemen, and it could be as few as 8. So EVERY one of them better be able to play at least 2 positions. It wasn't perfect, but I felt the OL took a step forward tonight.

3. Yes there was obviously a miscommunication between Maneri and Brady on the pick 6, with Maneri taking the blame. However I think Brady has some explaining to do as well. I want to know why Brady was throwing to a TE who split wide as his first choice on first down. IIRC, Brady was unhurried and never looked anywhere else. Some how I have to believe when Steve Maneri is your TE lined up wide, he SHOULDN'T be your first choice for a running a post snap read route. :eek:

4. I was once again impressed with the fact that once again our WR's consistently were beating their men deep. IIRC, Amendola, Edelman, Tyms, and Boyce all had at least a step on his man on various routes. I find it exciting because we haven't seen this kind of deep threat since Randy Moss was roaming opposing secondaries. What's even more exciting is that its not just one guy. Edelman made a beautiful cut to create separation on his deep route

5. I think everyone should be a lot more comfortable about the LaFell signing. Not an ace, but a solid NFL WR, who seems to be picking up the offense well

6. As you know I have been a big Josh Boyce supporter. But its getting harder and harder to ignore what Brian Tymes is doing. If it continues I don't see how Boyce can remain on the roster when Tymes comes off of suspension. I think its less about what Boyce IS doing wrong, and more about what Tymes is doing right. Its likely that the the Pats are going to keep 6 WRs and based on what we've seen in the first 2 games, Tymes has to be considered one of the top 6 along with Edelman, Amendola LaFell, Thomkins, and Dobson. It should be starting to become apparent that an area that was once considered to be one of the big problems is becoming one of an embarrassment of riches. :eek:

7. Harder to evaluate the defense. I was pleased to see the run D much improved. The first group gave up one 12 yd run by McCoy, but held him to 7 yds combined on his other 5 rushes. That's a great job against the best OL in the game and a truly elite RB

8. The Eagles QB's dropped back 34 times and COMBINED had only 6 incompletions. That's not what I had in mind given the supposed strength of our secondary. Coverage was tight on a lot of throws. So I'm not that concerned, but it needs to get better.

9. I don't blame Chung for that TD vs Ertz. I blame more the defense that forces him into such a physical mismatch. His coverage wasn't bad, he was just a victim of what Gronk does all the time in the end zone.

10. I know its redundant but it can't be stated enough. The league's attempt to mandate a Peyton Manning Superbowl win is truly ruining the game. So many calls were so marginal it was ridiculous, and interpreted inconsistently. They blew the call on the Eagle TD. I thought the replay clearly showed the ball on the ground before it bounced up. The replay clearly showed Ridley's knee down on the "fumble" and on one play and Eagle defender's hand merely brushed a Pats WR and the Pats were awarded an undeserved first down instead of having to punt. a few series later a Philly defender and a Pats receiver were both creating a lot of contact deep downfield and there was no call at all.

Tonight there were 10 offensive TD's tonight. Most on drives that were aided by penalties. Can you imagine what's going to happen when offenses really get in a rhythm and everyone starts playing ALL their starters. :eek: It won't be long before 100 point over/unders start to become common place.
:rolleyes: Its a disgrace.

11. Robert White completely underwhelmed tonight, though Roy Finched "popped". Also missing in action was shane Vareen. But for every Shane Vareen, there's a Jimmy Devlin. I told you to watch out for his receiving for a few weeks now.

12. Before the Jimmy G hyped gets too out of hand and the mediots over react to the fact he got in before Mallett and had 2 TD's. Remember he WAS only 6 of 12 and his TD to LaFell could have just as easily been picked off, as well as one of his incomplete screen passes.

I think he's progressing quite nicely, but lets get real here. The kid is just a few weeks away from playing for Eastern Freakin' ILL.

13. I thought Mallett's day was more impressive, given who he had to play with.

14. Special Teams where especially bad, though Roy FInch was an exception.

15. One good thing about the pick six and the penalties, it gave Brady more snaps to work with the offense and still get off the field before the first quarter ended.

16. The Pats first D was once again mainly in a 3-4 alignment with Jones and Ninko often aligned as OLB's. Also once again, very vanilla on 3rd down, almost always with only 3 or 4 man rushes.

This is a defense that is seems to be built to play an exotic series of very aggressive defensive alignments. Ah well, maybe once the regular season gets started.

Last edited:
5. LaFell signing is big. He's coming on strong now. Could be the #2 WR on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back