PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The Houston Match up. (Texan fans welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference will hopefully be that the Texans don't shoot themselves in the foot so much so early and get into a big hole early. If they can get a 7 - 0 lead they won't try to launch it every play like being 21 - 0 in the first quarter. Also we've got like 4 players that we didn't have before, including an essential TE and LB. Hopefully they help keep Brady on the bench.

You guys played really well last time, but our mistakes made it all too easy.

I think your guys will limit the mistakes as compared to the first meeting unless the Patriots are already in their heads. Should that happen, the game will be closer, but I still think the Pats will win. Talib was containing Johnson one on one last game. And even when the Texans were running the ball (outside of the first two plays), they had very limited success.

I think your guys will limit the mistakes as compared to the first meeting unless the Patriots are already in their heads. Should that happen, the game will be closer, but I still think the Pats will win. Talib was containing Johnson one on one last game. And even when the Texans were running the ball (outside of the first two plays), they had very limited success.

That's the problem, is we have a lot of other capable receivers and TEs that he didn't even throw it to, Graham is back, Walter can play, Lestar Jean and K-Mart can make plays.

To be perfectly honest I can't even believe it was the same team out there last time. No run game, no defense, only throwing it to Johnson or away. I'm hoping we actually USE our weapons this time and you guys think you're playing an entirely different team. I think the key to this game will be scoring first. If the Texans can get a 7 - 0 lead then that might make all the difference in the world. for some reason when they do so much better when they score first.

That's the problem, is we have a lot of other capable receivers and TEs that he didn't even throw it to, Graham is back, Walter can play, Lestar Jean and K-Mart can make plays.

To be perfectly honest I can't even believe it was the same team out there last time. No run game, no defense, only throwing it to Johnson or away. I'm hoping we actually USE our weapons this time and you guys think you're playing an entirely different team. I think the key to this game will be scoring first. If the Texans can get a 7 - 0 lead then that might make all the difference in the world. for some reason when they do so much better when they score first.

Because they can still utilize their running game which opens things up off the play action. Thing is (and I said this last time), while we don't have a great defense by any means, they are highly disciplined. They won't consistently bite on the play action fake like other teams tend to do in close games against Houston.

Pats also have an extra week of rest while the Texans played a tough one last week. Big advantage.

Plus the Texans did not see the Pats Double Tight End formations with AH and Gronk there the first time. Pats can either pass or run from them and Brady can audible at will when at home.

Texans need to control the clock with Foster and limit TOs and then its a fight. But according to ESPN the Texans generally use their center to control the running game, which is tough to do vs. Wilfork/Love duo.

I'm really nervous right now damn

Hey I work hard throughout the season to be rational, fair, logical and do my research. Why? For this. To go bat**** crazy between now and whenever our road ends. I couldn't stand that feeling of petrification around here before playing the Giants last year while they were dancing around like idiots, having fun talking smack, etc and I will not succumb to it again. Hey for all I know we might be done this Sunday so I'm going to enjoy it. But the optimist in me says I'll plan to come down and turn back to normal about 3-7 days after the Superbowl and until then...:rocker:

THIS!!!

Why should we be classy fans? Who cares what other fanbases think? I like the Texans fans and all, but stop acting like anyone is looking for motivation to win.

Funny thing is, when this franchise will inevitably suck someday, all the classy veneer will disappear as true frustration rears its head. Hard to be classy when you're not quietly confident in a win.

Same goes with the team: I was so mad when the Patriots were tight lipped and browbeaten the week before the SB while Tuck was bragging about how they were going to cut the head off the snake.

Last edited:
THIS!!!

Why should we be classy fans? Who cares what other fanbases think? I like the Texans fans and all, but stop acting like anyone is looking for motivation to win.

Funny thing is, when this franchise will inevitably suck someday, all the classy veneer will disappear as true frustration rears its head. Hard to be classy when you're not quietly confident in a win.

Same goes with the team: I was so mad when the Patriots were tight lipped and browbeaten the week before the SB while Tuck was bragging about how they were going to cut the head off the snake.

I don't know, I don't see why it's hard to stay respectful even during "game day" or follow the logic of being rude and abrasive now while you can before your team sucks again. I think it's more of a personality thing at any rate, not really having to do with any specific team or anything. I personally don't get anything out of saying "we beat you down suckers" unless it's the tacks or the cats because the majority of their fans are worthless. Even then I'd rather just not dignify them by even responding to them or taunting them.

Either way just hoping for an awesome game Sunday, whatever the general attitude here turns out to be.

Here's that big roster move we were all waiting for:

shalise manza young ‏@shalisemyoung
#Patriots announce they've signed 6-4 WR Andre Holmes to practice squad...tough to think he's not Andre Johnson practice stand-in this week

Interestingly it looks like the weather will be close to 50 degrees...wow!!! So much for a cold January NE night eh?

Apparently Houston brings their weather with them. I went to the Dec 10th game and it was about as nice as you could hope for on a December night in New England.

The good news is, it didn't seem to hurt us (or help them) then.... :D

Totally jealous that you guys only have to wait til 3:30 for this thing to start!

Central time is the best time zone IMO. Everything comes on an hour earlier than the eastern time zone, meaning it comes on at a decent time. When I first got stationed in San Antonio I would constantly miss the pre-game show and most kick offs because I was so used to watching football at 1pm and kickoff was at noon. Took me nearly half the season to fully remember each week. :bricks:

I don't know, I don't see why it's hard to stay respectful even during "game day" or follow the logic of being rude and abrasive now while you can before your team sucks again. I think it's more of a personality thing at any rate, not really having to do with any specific team or anything. I personally don't get anything out of saying "we beat you down suckers" unless it's the tacks or the cats because the majority of their fans are worthless. Even then I'd rather just not dignify them by even responding to them or taunting them.

Either way just hoping for an awesome game Sunday, whatever the general attitude here turns out to be.

OK.....it's that time of year, so here goes......as classy as can be:

As you can see from the calendar, the game is coming up this weekend. I'm sure you are as excited for it as I am, as our cities are rivals and have been for quite some time. Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

On numerous occasions, you have expressed the conviction that your area's sports team will be victorious. I must admit that every time I hear you make this proclamation, I react with both laughter and disbelief. "Ha!" I say to myself with laughter. "What?!" I say to myself in disbelief. How could you believe that your sports team could beat my sports team? It is clear that yours is inferior in every way.

When the sporting contest begins, the players on your team will be treated as though they are inconsequential. It will be remarkably easy for my team to accumulate more points than yours. There are many reasons for this, starting with the inferior physical attributes of the players representing your area. Strength, speed, and agility are just three of the qualities that the players on the team from your area lack. The players representing my area, on the other hand, have these traits in abundance.

I would not be a bit surprised if the individuals on the team from your area were sexually attracted to members of their own gender. That is how ineffective they are on the field of battle.

Underscoring your team's inferiority is its choice of colors. It is ludicrous to believe that your team's colors inspire either respect or fear. Instead, they appear to have been chosen by someone who is colorblind or, perhaps, bereft of sight altogether. The colors for my team, on the other hand, are aesthetically pleasing when placed in proximity to one another. They are a superior color combination in every way.

While we are on the subject of aesthetics, let us compare the respective facilities in which our teams play. While my team's edifice is blessed with architectural splendor and the most modern of amenities, yours is a thoroughly unpleasant place in which to watch a sporting contest. I know of what I speak, for I once attended a game between our respective teams in your facility. Let's just say the experience left me wishing that my car was inoperable that day due to mechanical problems, rendering it impossible for me to get to your area to attend the game.

If you need another reason why the sporting franchise representing my area is superior, look no further than the supporters for the two sides. Not only are the supporters of the team from my region more spirited, but they are also more intelligent and of finer breeding than you and the rest of your ilk. In addition, the female supporters of the team from my area possess more attractive countenances and figures than yours. Some of the women from my side that I have observed could make a living by posing for pictures for major men's magazines. The women who cheer for your team, I'm afraid, are far too unattractive to do so.

One of the more pathetic aspects of the team from your area is the fact that only people in your immediate area possess an affinity for it. By means of contrast, the team from my area inspires loyalty and affection in individuals who live in many other geographic locations.

To illustrate this point, let me tell a brief story: Recently, I was on vacation in an area of the country far away from my own, and I saw many individuals wearing items of clothing that bore the insignia of my team. I approached one such individual and asked him if he originated from my area. He said no, explaining that he simply liked the team from my area and had for many years. Interestingly enough, during this trip, I saw no clothing or other paraphernalia bearing the insignia of your team.

Do you still doubt that the team from your area is inferior to the one from mine? Just look at our teams' respective histories. In the past, we have defeated you on any number of occasions. Granted, there were times when your team beat my team, but those were lucky flukes.

The day of the game will soon be at hand. And no matter how hard you pray to a higher power or how many foam accoutrements you wear in support of the team from your area, your team will be defeated. We will win and you will lose. This is your fate.

Prepare for humiliation. It shall be upon you at the designated hour.

You Will Suffer Humiliation When The Sports Team From My Area Defeats The Sports Team From Your Area | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Here's that big roster move we were all waiting for:

shalise manza young ‏@shalisemyoung
#Patriots announce they've signed 6-4 WR Andre Holmes to practice squad...tough to think he's not Andre Johnson practice stand-in this week

Unless he also runs a 4.3 40, I doubt he will provide an adequate simulation of Andre Johnson.

BTW I'm fairly confident that the Pats can win due to the matchup problems we present on offense. Our players are also getting healthier, reinforcing our team for this showdown, the additions of Gronk, Talib, and return of Ninkovich really helps our chances.

I think if you can shut down/contain Arian Foster you have a huge chance to win, and our defense is built to do just that with Wilfork and Love in the middle. Jones is back to his usual self as well and he sets a very tough edge. Ninkovich our other edge setter also reportedly healthy in practice.

I like our chances. There's no guarantee of victory, but as a fan, let me guarantee you a win this weekend at Foxboro!! ;)

All I've been hearing from the Texans locker room is executing better so I don't see us changing up anything scheme wise especially on defense. Brady is still going to get man to man coverage majority of the game & will be forced to make accurate throws every time he drops back which we all know he can do. I hope we don't change it up & if we do what are we going to change it up to? Play more zone? I believe Brady would eat that alive. So PatsFans expect the same type of defense just better play. If anything changes its going to be our blitz packages.

Curious - do you think there's an outcome possible for the game that could lead to Kubiak to losing his job?

I see him as a pretty solid coach... the type of guy you'd be wondering who exactly they could find to improve upon him. Maybe not a top 5(ish) coach, but probably a top 10ish one.

Kubiak even being a realistic consideration for a top 10 coach is a sad testament to how many mediocre, bad or otherwise forgettable coaches there are in the NFL.

Put Mike Smith in that same category.

Hah. Nope - -4.51 at the Combine. Maybe they'll give him a head start off the line of scrimmage.

I bet that's exactly what they'll do, if, of course he is really going to portray A.Johnson as SMY suggests.

I imagine that we'll either see Talib holding his own vs Johnson (for the most part) or Talib with a safety rolled over if he isn't getting the job done.

It's Foster who I am concerned about personally, along with the TE's across the middle vs our LBs.

I am also concerned that Schaub may get hot at times, even despite the general feeling about how cold he's played lately.

Last edited:
Kubiak even being a realistic consideration for a top 10 coach is a sad testament to how many mediocre, bad or otherwise forgettable coaches there are in the NFL.

I agree with you. Lots of mediocre talent these days.

At least it's nice to see the Buffalo Bills continuing to make the same poor decisions by hiring the coach who went 25-25 while at Syracuse. I understand that everyone wants to discover the next new thing, but to me that isn't very worthy of NFL head coach consideration, is it?

If I were going to steer away from the usual suspects who have at least proven to be competitive at times in the NFL, then I'd certainly be looking at the college coaches who are already proven to have high winning percentages against top level competition.

To each his own, but my money is on Marrone not working out for BUF.

I think you might magically change your stance on Kubiak as a top 10 coach if he had a one Tom Brady running his offense.

I think you might magically change your stance on Kubiak as a top 10 coach if he had a one Tom Brady running his offense.

While your point is certainly taken and there is some merit to it, I'm not sure if you are entirely familiar with Belichick's coaching career and all of the attention that he got from age 10 and up as being superb with film breakdown and paying attention to the smallest details.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/books/review/27sandomir.html?_r=0

There are plenty of quotes from some of the best coaches of that timeframe that state how Belichick was a natural born leader and coach from the time he was a teenager, as strange as that may sound.

By all accounts he had the attention of some of the greatest coaching in both college and the pros by the time he was in his late teens, early 20's, due to having the ears of many greats through his dad etc.

I don't care much for those who compare his success to Brady, especially since he kind of proved that he can take a raw QB who didn't even really play in college even and turn him into an 11 game winner without Brady anywhere near him. That was done with defense and team building and didn't have anything to do with Brady at all. He also led the CLE team to an 11 win season the year they decided to jet and leave for Baltimore, not to mention his success with the NYG.

Kubiak has proven to be a very good coach so far, but a lot of credit also goes to Wade Phillips and the defensive turnaround made a couple of years ago. Not meaning to be a smartass, but only time will tell whether or not Kubiak can hold a candle to that of Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
Rick Smith deserves the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes