PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: Moral victory, or Lost opportunity....

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
How much of that Q1 do people think can be attributed to rust owing to a lack of preseason snaps for the first team offence (first time the line played together I understand) vs the rain or just something else entirely?
A combo of those two. The first team offense not getting much in the way of live preseason reps is probably the biggest factor.

Yea, put me in the "missed opportunity" camp.

This team is pretty good, but not good enough to win ugly games, IMO.

We have to play mistake free and play with a lead, IMO.

I'm not sure what you expect at this point.
Tank for Williams or Maye of course! There are those that won't admit it, but that's the reality - that or fire the GM tomorrow because that will also make things all better - Patriots will be back winning close games for sure if those things happen! <sarc>

A combo of those two. The first team offense not getting much in the way of live preseason reps is probably the biggest factor.
I'll also throw in the Wise penalty to start the game - the Iggles dug themselves a large hole with a bad snap that could've changed the whole complexion of that first quarter and one brain fart killed it.

Tank for Williams or Maye of course! There are those that won't admit it, but that's the reality - that or fire the GM tomorrow because that will also make things all better - Patriots will be back winning close games for sure if those things happen! <sarc>
Yes, I think that's right, and to be honest, I get the argument, though I disagree with the timeline. It's really hard to win unless you have an elite QB. And those people don't think Mac will be one, so they want to try again. I think you need to see what we have with Mac this year and then make a decision on drafting another QB next year. But it's up to Mac to change their minds at this point.

Those games aren't so easily dismissed.

The Packers didn't have a winning record so it doesn't count, but the Vikings weren't actually good, so their winning record doesn't count, and the Pats had to almost come back against the Bengals after playing poorly (something being celebrated here against the Eagles), so that doesn't count? The Lions they beat also had a winning record last year btw.

The defense played plenty good plenty often last year. It wasn't the Pats' ability to score bunches of points keeping them in games.

Your posts are often centered around one narrative. You keep beating the "Patricia was so bad" drum between posts defending Mac. It's obvious you're exaggerating last year's inability to compete against good teams to support the idea that everything will change now that 100%-at-fault Fat Matt is gone (to further support the idea Mac was but a poor victim of circumstance).

That's also not to say I don't agree that Mac did enough to win yesterday but-for Boutte. That he showed flashes of a clutch gene developing because he (barely) did what he needed to do to come back (from a hole he largely put them in himself) and his team came up short. But let's not act like this team wasn't competing at all last year.

54 combined yards for our two 'lead backs'. I'm not going to sip the koolaid on this one. That's HORRIBLE! Our offensive line didn't do them any favors either. There weren't a lot of holes to run through and all the fruitless runs up the middle, well you can also put some blame at the feet of BOB for those play calls as well. The running game clearly needs to improve if we're to stand a chance of winning in future games.
You're sh*tting on Rhamondre for not rushing well vs the best front in the NFL with two rookie guards substituted in their first NFL start? In a game where he was (tied as) the leading receiver?

That's such a bad take that I wonder if anyone should ever take anything else you say seriously

Last edited:
on mac...some of the struggles could be unfamiliarity with playing in bad weather. other qbs who haven't played in bad weather much might be able to overcome because of physical gifts. for mac,he needs to do it more with technique and smarts. not having bad weather experience when he was drafted is something i was concerned about with him.
In his press conference yesterday, Mac indeed used the weather as an excuse for his bad pass to Bourne that led to the deflection and interception.

WR - The WRs accounted for about 140 receiving yds. Not horrible given who was out there. Not great either. Kendrick Bourne was the best of them with 65yds and 2 TD's. He's looking like the guy I hoped he would be LAST year. JJSS had just 4 catches and didn't particularly shine. Same goes for Douglas with who had 4 catches in 7 targets and only had 40. Maybe not a bad debut considering, but nothing impressive or made me go oooh!. Boutte unfortunately went 0-4 in targets, but had 2 which will likely be completions down the road, but not happening as a raw rookie. Too bad that both would have been key receptions. He also had one long route where he and Mac were clearly not on the same page. Not stellar given the great opportunity he had;
Considering the weather, the receiving yardage spread seemed appropriate. Your post made me think about how it was divvied up in 2011.

Iggs game % rec yds
WR 43.5%
TE 29.0%
RB 27.5%

WR 50.5%
TE 42.5%
RB 7.0%

Also made me think of 2018 when a lot went to White (and Burkhead)
22.7% RBs

Curious to see if this is BOB 5.0 or just what the opponent / situations / conditions brought. Maybe a bit of both.

Yes, I think that's right, and to be honest, I get the argument, though I disagree with the timeline. It's really hard to win unless you have an elite QB. And those people don't think Mac will be one, so they want to try again. I think you need to see what we have with Mac this year and then make a decision on drafting another QB next year. But it's up to Mac to change their minds at this point.
A lot of QB's didn't look like the guy first couple of years, Josh Allen comes to mind, let's see if Mac takes a big step this year before we start looking for a replacement. Looks much better after game 1.

Maye sucks.

Missed the sarcasm, even with the sarcasm tag at the end.

Missed the sarcasm, even with the sarcasm tag at the end.
Sorry. I mean, I don’t agree with it, but I don’t think it’s a terrible argument. Reid knew they weren’t going far enough and took Kermit. The Dolphins tanked for Tua. There’s an argument that you have to get a great QB. I just think we need to know what we have in Jones this year before making that decision, while others think they already know.

That rain at the beginning of the game seemed to really throw the team into a funk. They seemed unsure with the grass and the ball. Maybe they got all of the weird mistakes out of the way in game 1 and going forward they’ll be ready to rock.
they are part of what happened. They have to be factored into the game. They ran out to a 16 point advantage and never gave it up. It took us nearly two quarters to get our act together.
They are part of what happened and what happened showed the patriots were very close, not miles away

In his press conference yesterday, Mac indeed used the weather as an excuse for his bad pass to Bourne that led to the deflection and interception.
Really? I don’t like when qb‘s makd excuses for bad throws, this is not a winner attitude

No more moral ****ing victories for Billy & Corky.

He was ASS for the first FULL THIRD of the game; then he & his OC were ASS again on the final couple of drives.

Once again, same as on MANY occasions the past two years, Lady Luck spread her legs but Corky decided to go Diego ***ot on her.

What's gonna be the excuse next week?

Really? I don’t like when qb‘s makd excuses for bad throws, this is not a winner attitude
Here's what he said:
“I threw too high — in the rain,” Jones said after the game. “That’s gonna happen. It’s a bad throw.”
Sounds like he was owning it and acknowledging the weather as a factor on why it needed to be a better throw.

A lot of QB's didn't look like the guy first couple of years, Josh Allen comes to mind, let's see if Mac takes a big step this year before we start looking for a replacement. Looks much better after game 1.

Can you imagine if we lost to the Jets last night with Mac having 4 turnovers?

He had a good game against the Eagles who have a monster front 7, and people are saying he sucked and needs to be replaced.. Meanwhile you have Qbs like Allen completely folding in like a lawn chair

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back