PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - knee jerk reactions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that, as currently constituted, there is no potential whatsoever for improvement.

Edit: Is there potential for improving to the point that the defense will not be a league laughingstock of suckitude & sieveness? Maybe. Improving to the point that it will help us go where we need to go? Not a chance.

Ofcourse he can say there is no room for improvement.

That's what idiots do. He's clueless.

patsfans.com is the only sports website where all the idiots are cross dressing "contrarians".

If nothing can convince you but a playoff win, then why bother to post?

These are all very fair points as usual, Ken. And I bought the hype before the POs began, too.
I knew deep down that there wasn't nearly enough talent at OLB & DL, but I hoped that
the turnovers & coaching & playing with a lead would overcome those deficiencies.
But when the time came for them to help the inconsistent offense, the result was:
Zero QB hits, Zero FFs, Zero INTs.
And Bill then doesn't use any of his top-150 picks on defense. Not one.

And do we really know what we'll have whenever any of these guys return?
Uncle Al - his health is iffy, as is his attitude & general mental state.
Ras IR Dowling - made of glass.
Bodden - wasn't playing well before his injuries. But hey, he has his cash now,
so why put in the extra effort to improve?
Mike Wright - ain't coming back. WTF hasn't Bill IRed him already?
Mayo - huge, huge loss; not because of his turnover-causing ability, of which he has very little,
but because of his tackling ability, of which the rest of this defense has very, very little.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype this year - not now, not 3 months from now.
Not until they, you know, actually win a PO game.

Hey, somebody has to be the voice in the wilderness, and I'll gladly eat my share of crow in January should I be proven mistaken.

Edit: Glas-IR Dowling was one of those top-150 picks in my earlier post, but I had shockingly forgotten about him.

:)

hey, somebody has to be the voice in the wilderness, and i'll gladly eat my share of crow in january should i be proven mistaken.

Edit: Glas-ir dowling was one of those top-150 picks in my earlier post, but i had shockingly forgotten about him.

Stats, even points, can be misleading. I'm sure even Belichick would say that. Publicly he might be saying we got the W, but behind closed doors - and now that we've seen the NFLN special, we know this - he's ripping this team and this defense apart.

This defense has not improved in the last two weeks. If anything, it has gotten more porous and more hindered by injuries.

The defense makes plays, and that is its saving trait at this moment. But otherwise, this really is the least effective defense Belichick has had to work with. People can say bend, don't break - but no defense is designed to leave such wide open receivers all over the field.

We have some real issues that will not be solved with the current personnel, and can only be solved with the health of the team improving.

This is the most circular commentary I have seen in quite some time.

It looks like you are debating yourself. Did you win?

Hey, somebody has to be the voice in the wilderness, and I'll gladly eat my share of crow in January should I be proven mistaken.

Edit: Glas-IR Dowling was one of those top-150 picks in my earlier post, but I had shockingly forgotten about him.

Why do you come here?

How much does ganggreen.com pay you to come here and offer squat?

This is the most circular commentary I have seen in quite some time.

It looks like you are debating yourself. Did you win?

What in my post do you disagree with? I don't see how my comments weren't an accurate reflection of the current state of the defense.

Stats, even points, can be misleading. I'm sure even Belichick would say that. Publicly he might be saying we got the W, but behind closed doors - and now that we've seen the NFLN special, we know this - he's ripping this team and this defense apart.

This defense has not improved in the last two weeks. If anything, it has gotten more porous and more hindered by injuries.

The defense makes plays, and that is its saving trait at this moment. But otherwise, this really is the least effective defense Belichick has had to work with. People can say bend, don't break - but no defense is designed to leave such wide open receivers all over the field.

We have some real issues that will not be solved with the current personnel, and can only be solved with the health of the team improving.

I attribute last week's wide open receivers to the sudden change in cover philosphy back to zone from the man coverage we've been predominantly playing this year. Also note that we had Bodden and Dowling out due to injuries. Granted, when we did play man coverage the previous three weeks, receivers were able to get separation quite easily and get open. Last week just seemed even worse as they were able to find huge holes in our zone and were left completely open.

I think the idea to go back to zone though might be best for us. Our CBs don't seem to have the quickness, change of direction speed to keep up with WRs. At least in zone, we know McCourty can be a huge asset. I've also seen glimpses of Carter coming off the edge getting close. If our zone can hold up, we may see him getting closer to the QB and might be able to get him;)

Last edited:
I attribute last week's wide open receivers to the sudden change in cover philosphy back to zone from the man coverage we've been predominantly playing this year. Also note that we had Bodden and Dowling out due to injuries. Granted, when we did play man coverage the previous three weeks, receivers were able to get separation quite easily and get open. Last week just seemed even worse as they were able to find huge holes in our zone and were left completely open.

I think the idea to go back to zone though might be best for us. Our CBs don't seem to have the quickness, change of direction speed to keep up with WRs. At least in zone, we know McCourty can be a huge asset. I've also seen glimpses of Carter coming off the edge getting close. If our zone can hold up, we may see him getting closer to the QB and might be able to get him;)

Against Oakland, the Patroits also committed more defenders to stopping McFadden, which had to negatively affect the pass coverage at times.

Against Oakland, the Patroits also committed more defenders to stopping McFadden, which had to negatively affect the pass coverage at times.

Even on obvious passing downs though (several third and longs in the second half), Oakland receivers found huge holes in our coverage. Granted we had injuries but some of those third and longs looked too easy.

We'll see how we play the Jets this week if we get Bolden and Dowling back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST