PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - Key question on the OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since we are pretty much all agreed that about the only chance Denver has is if they are able to apply pressure on Brady AND stop the run, a couple of key questions have emerged due to the Pats OL injury situation. In fact a lot of questons

1. If Mankins can't play there are several ways the Pats can fill the slot, which one is the best in your opinion

a. Move Wendell into the RG postion

b. Move Wendell to C and Connolly to LG

c. Move Solder to LT and move Light to LG and have Volmer play RT (this assumes Volmer can play)

Personally I'd like to see C. happen, since I have been calling in vain for the past 5 years to see Light playing the LG spot, and I would just like to see how it would work out at least one time. ;)

2. If Volmer and Solder are both ready to play who gets the start. Volmer has missed the last half of the season and hasn't seen game speed for the last several weeks, but he's a more dominant run blocker than Solder, while Solder would seem to be better suited to take on Miller vs the pass

a. What I think we'll see is on running downs, Solder will line up as the TE next to Volmer, which will do 2 things. It will extend the LOS if the Pats want to pass from a standard 2 TE line up, and it will present a big problem for the Bronco's DC to defend vs the run as they would be out strenghted and sized on both sides of the LOS

Normally the I wouldn't fear the Denver rush much, because we have proven to be very good against speed rushers from the outside, but given the injury concerns and the fact Volmer hasn't played for around 10 weeks, gives me some cause for concern, especially early in the game, before the Denver defensive game plan becomes apparent.

Interesting Sidelight - Before the Draft it was apparent that we needed to fill 2 key needs on the OL at LT and RG. After the draft it looked like we had done just that, with the drafting of Solder and Cannon. Who would have thought that at the end of 16 games LT and RG would end up being the 2 strongest positions on the OL and NEITHER of them was filled by Solder OR Cannon. This is even more surprising since BOTH Solder and Cannon have exceeded our expectations of them

Who would have thought that 2 afterthought FA signings (Light and Waters) would turn out to be so impact-full. Who here would have guessed that Light would have such a big year after looking like he was in a slow decline in the previous few. And who would have thought the day they signed a washed up retread LG a mere week before the start of the first regular season game, we'd be adding the starting all pro RG.

BTW - when you think about the FA signings of Light, Waters, Carter, and Anderson; that was 4 home runs, which not only eases the pain of the Ocho and Haynesworth signings, though the Ocho story has yet to be finished; I'd be interested to see if if any other team managed to do better than that this season.

Of course who would have figured we'd lose Volmer for most of the season. And where would have we been if Solder hadn't been better than advertised and Cannon didn't make it back for the last half to the season.

OK guys - the ball is in your court - in a mere 27 hours we will know how it all pans out, but now is YOUR chance to play Dante. Assume Mankins isn't going to make it for this game, and name your best OL

Last edited:
Since we are pretty much all agreed that about the only chance Denver has is if they are able to apply pressure on Brady AND stop the run, a couple of key questions have emerged due to the Pats OL injury situation. In fact a lot of questons

1. If Mankins can't play there are several ways the Pats can fill the slot, which one is the best in your opinion

a. Move Wendell into the RG postion

b. Move Wendell to C and Connolly to RG

You mean LG???

You mean LG???
Thanks I've made the correction. But what I'd like to see is your opinion. I think I've brought up the Volmer/Solder conundrum at least 3 times in various threads, and thus far it seems like I'm the only one here seems to care.

No time to experiment, I'd go with B since they've both played there before.

If Mankins can't go (and I don't think he will), I think Donald Thomas retains the LG spot next to Light. Connolly stays at Center, Waters at RG and Cannon/Solder keep their (now) customary "rotation" at RT. If Vollmer is active, he may see a few snaps late, if the game is well in hand, but I doubt he plays any major role yet, barring injury forcing him into it.

BTW - I'm beginning to think that Thomas may turn out to be the Pats next starting OG, replacing Waters at some point.

We have a LT. Your musings aside, it's generally better to weaken just one slot at a time, Ken. Unless Bill or Scar thinks multiple replacement won't weaken multiple slots.

Last edited:
If Mankins can't go (and I don't think he will), I think Donald Thomas retains the LG spot next to Light. Connolly stays at Center, Waters at RG and Cannon/Solder keep their (now) customary "rotation" at RT. If Vollmer is active, he may see a few snaps late, if the game is well in hand, but I doubt he plays any major role yet, barring injury forcing him into it.

BTW - I'm beginning to think that Thomas may turn out to be the Pats next starting OG, replacing Waters at some point.
Could be MM, but my lasting memory of Thomas is him being overpowered on one play in the 2nd half of that game he started (Miami?), which led directly to a Brady sack, and then getting replaced at LG by Wendell the next game. I inferred that because he was replaced the next game the play I described wasn't an isolated incident. That's why I didn't include Thomas as a possible alternative

Cannon is our long-term RG. He isn't a NFL quality tackle. He's better off being a road-grading guard.

I think, if Mankins isn't a go, (which means they had to amputate his leg) we'll see Connolly at LG, and Wendell at center. If I were Denver, I'd be drooling at this and lining up Miller over this gap and sending in a stacked blitz.

We have a LT. Your musings aside, it's generally better to weaken just one slot at a time, Ken. Unless Bill or Scar thinks multiple replacement won't weaken multiple slots.
Mo that's a good point, and one I considered. I guess I can't get that image of Light playing LG our of my head.

Sounds like Mankins isn't going to make this game, and if he isn't 100%, I wouldn't risk it if it meant he'd really be ready the following week. I know this is a one and done tourney, but realistically there are too many good match ups for the Pats to risk Mankins' long term health in this playoff for this game.

My best guess for Vollmer's role is the one Cannon has been filling -- play RT for a few snaps because Solder plays at TE. If Cannon can do it as rusty as he was, Vollmer should be able to do it with his levels of rust.

Wendell is our most proven interior OL backup (Cannon's future may be at interior OL, but he's hardly proven there). Hence my base-case assumption -- if Mankins is out -- is Connolly-Wendell-Waters on the interior OL.

A longshot case is Cannon having been coached up and starting, either at LG or at RG with Waters flipping left. This assumes both that he can handle it and also that Vollmer is active for RT duty.

Thanks I've made the correction. But what I'd like to see is your opinion. I think I've brought up the Volmer/Solder conundrum at least 3 times in various threads, and thus far it seems like I'm the only one here seems to care.

I like (a) Wendell to LG and Connolly at C.

Connolly has given the Pats a bigger C than Koppen was, and I like his mean streak.

I don't want them pushing Mankins tomorrow night.

If Vollmer is up to it, rotate him and Solder at RT so he can get the rust off for the big game against the Ravens.

For the Ravens game, I want to see Light-Mankins-Connolly-Waters-Vollmer with Solder blockingTE/roving utility guy. If that line is good to go, they can put up 35+ on anyone.

Last edited:
Hoping they sit Mankins/Vollmer tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back