PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - It's a long bye week edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I finally broke down and dropped $20 bucks to play Draft Kings (or was it Fan Duel). Among the players I picked on my team were Brady, Lewis and Edelman. And you know, I finally get it. I get why playing fantasy can completely corrupt the purity of watching the game of football. Instead of relaxing and enjoying a complete win over the Jags, I'm yelling at Josh for keeping Lewis out of the game most of the 2nd half. Going nuts every time Brady hands off to Blount for TD's HE should be throwing for. It was so bad, I looked over the guy next to me at the bar, and said, "Yah know, Peyton Manning never would've handed off 3 times on the GL."....and I did it with a straight face. :rolleyes:

Fantasy football corrupts. Fantasy football for money corrupts absolutely

1. God I hate this early bye. The offense is in rhythm and starting to find its running game. The defense is starting to show incremental improvement with every quarter, and now it all stops. All the momentum is lost and every week going forward the chances for injuries will just increase for the next 13 consecutive weeks after we come back. If we hadn't has so many well placed bye weeks in recent years I would have thought all part of the league office plan to sabotage our season.

2. The OL continues to astound. This shouldn't be happening with 3 rookies and a journeyman manning the interior. BTW- do you ever recall a successful team rotating so many OLmen on a regular basis. Cannon is getting series playing on both sides and Kline is being rotated such that each of the OG's are playing about the same number of snaps. Ironically the ONLY guy that is playing every snap is the UDFA rookie. Go figure that one.

3. They only allowed 2 sacks again, but both were on the coverage side that might have been avoided. For the 3rd time in a row, for the most part Brady was untouched. My guess would be they had under 5 QB hits. This bode well for the future. If Stork comes back healthy this could be an awesome OL by the playoffs.

4. Brady was redundantly awesome. Not only is his throwing spectacular, his command of the LOS and the flexibility that Josh's offense allows, has to be positively frightening to opposing defenses.

5. If you happened to catch and see what the Bills' defense is doing to the Dolphins offense in the first half, it only makes what the Pats did last week IN Buffalo even more impressive. They truly are playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers

6. Welcome back LGB. I was less impressed with the 3 TDs. What I really liked was the 18 carries for 4.3/, and the catch for another 14. A lot of those carries were in tough yardage situations. There will be times we will need LGB, especially at the end of games when we need 4 minute drives. Can we stop the lets trade LGB for a CB now. :rolleyes:

7. Gronk is simply a force of nature. He's like Brady in that any discussion about him can't really express his impact.

8. I think Williams is going to finally make Hooman expendable. When he is the 2nd TE, he is starting to move the LOS. He's already proven he can catch the odd pass. If a roster spot is needed at some point, that's a place they might want to look at. Also, watching Chandler make that catch near the GL, it made me think, that if he'd be playing on another team , he'd get a lot more catches. I also was thinking that if he'd gotten into the damned end zone, my fantasy team would be doing better. ;)

9. I'm a big Dobson supporter, but I have to admit, he took a step back today. When you are the fourth or 5th option you are only going to get 3 or 4 targets every game, and you HAVE to take advantage of them. Today Aaron didn't.

10. There will become a point soon where people are going to recognize that if Danny Amendola ever got the number of looks that Julian gets, HE'd be the guy with the 100 catches and 1100 yds. I think Edelman is the more dynamic receiver, but DA is good enough to get the catches and yards that simply go with the position in Josh's offense.

11. It was too hard for me so see who the personnel was on the front 7, but I'm pretty sure Mayo had many more snaps today and the run D was better for it. The Jags only had about 50 yds total. So while there wasn't much of rush this week, neither was Bortles running around there free.

12. Again incremental improvement from the secondary again. Butler continues to improve in his coverage. It's a shame he's going to get tagged with a TD pass because Harmon Turned a 12 yd gain into a 60 yd TD with a bad angle and a HORRIBLE tackle attempt.

13. Overall the coverage looked solid. The Pats now have the most picks in the league, and Butler should have added another when he tricked Bortles into a throw that he dropped. BOTTOM LINE. The secondary was supposed to be our biggest question mark. So far, through 3 games, while there is certainly room for improvement, there is also some reason for encouragement. Butler looks like he has the makings of a #1 CB. The safety play has been excellent, and the rest has gotten better. Remember it's not where the secondary is now that matters. It's were it will be in January.

14. Do you get the feeling that Bill really likes coaching this team.

15. Looks like the other games today are more interesting that ours in some ways.

a. The Bill's/Miami game I mentioned already. Rex is making Tannyhill look like a child, when last week Josh and Brady had Rex in tears in his own house.

b. Nice to see the Crows lose again, and a shame to see Ben go down. I really do hope it's something less than season ending.

c. Disappointed that the Dolts won, but it will make the crushing of them in 3 weeks that much more sweet.

d. Looks like the Cardinals are the real deal and right up there with the Packers and Seahawks in the NFC, while Denver and Cinci look like the main threat in the AFC thus far. Still it is such a long way until thing really begin to sort things out in the playoff races. We are literally months away and so much can change.
So far so good.

Last edited:
I finally broke down and dropped $20 bucks to play Draft Kings (or was it Fan Duel). Among the players I picked on my team were Brady, Lewis and Edelman. And you know, I finally get it. I get why playing fantasy can completely corrupts the purity of watching the game of football. Instead of relaxing and enjoying a complete win over the Jags, I'm yelling at Josh for keeping Lewis out of the game most of the 2nd half. Going nuts every time Brady hands off to Blount for TD's HE should be throwing for.
That's why I never draft Patriots. Except for their Defense. I prefer to root for the Patriots with no other motives. The worst was drafting Gostkowski one year, thinking I score whenever the Patriots did, only to find myself ALMOST rooting for FG over TDs.

Stay away from Patriots and you're largely good - of course then you eliminate some of the best players.

I don't like the early bye but we will see how they handle it. We will get a better feel of the defense after the bye.

You think the safety play is excellent.
You excoriate Harmon for one particular play.
Not really a contradiction, but I felt like mentioning it anyway. All the more because you're supposed to know about the safety position. :)

I'm curious to find out what the snap count was for Chung, Harmon and Richards ...

9. I'm a big Dobson supporter, but I have to admit, he took a step back today.

Yeah he sure did take a step back today. I am a Dobson supporter as well but he needs to fight for the ball. I think they were trying to throw to him at the end of the game to build his confidence but he couldn't get it done today. Hope he gets there.

2. The OL continues to astound. This shouldn't be happening with 3 rookies and a journeyman manning the interior. BTW- do you ever recall a successful team rotating so many OLmen on a regular basis. Cannon is getting series playing on both sides and Kline is being rotated such that each of the OG's are playing about the same number of snaps. Ironically the ONLY guy that is playing every snap is the UDFA rookie. Go figure that one.
It's one of those things that must frustrate the living $@$! out of people. The rich getting richer. But, then again, how many teams give players the same chance to compete that BB does.

BTW, there is something wrong with that first sentence you put in there.
4. Brady was redundantly awesome. Not only is his throwing spectacular, his command of the LOS and the flexibility that Josh's offense allows, has to be positively frightening to opposing defenses.
He is just frighteningly awesome. Another thing is his increased mobility in the pocket. I wonder how long before other fans start to throw accusations about his apparent health and longevity (sorry, but the whiners and haters will eventually try to discredit him as he makes his way to the post season).

One thing that the announcers of the game kinda said that was a bit disrespectful was talking about Brady wanting to throw for the TD at the goal line (for his 400th). They said it in a way that we talk about Peyton Manning wanting to get scores. Did they just not witness the handoff to Dion Lewis for the Patriots first score?
5. If you happened to catch and see what the Bills' defense is doing to the Dolphins offense in the first half, it only makes what the Pats did last week IN Buffalo even more impressive. They truly are playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers
Definitely part of it, but I imagine the Bills were pretty upset with losing in their house and having their season put into perspective. Either way, it's not a bad thing for us. Also, the Jets losing is a good thing too. the natural order is falling into place :D
7. Gronk is simply a force of nature. He's like Brady in that any discussion about him can't really express his impact.
He is a complete player and it was nice hearing the announcers talk about his leadership and work ethic.
10. There will become a point soon where people are going to recognize that if Danny Amendola ever got the number of looks that Julian gets, HE'd be the guy with the 100 catches and 1100 yds. I think Edelman is the more dynamic receiver, but DA is good enough to get the catches and yards that simply go with the position in Josh's offense.
I love having DA on the team as well. I think since the end of last season, playoffs specifically, he's really added lots of value to the team.
c. Disappointed that the Dolts won, but it will make the crushing of them in 3 weeks that much more sweet.
If they aren't going 0-16 then maybe going 7-9 would be good enough. Forget that. I hope they get the #1 draft pick this year. Either way, I don't think we'll get a chance to play them twice this year and I look forward to our matchup with them. I want a total domination. I want their owner livid that the product he and his coaches put on the field is so putrid. I want them to know that no matter what they have done, it can't take away from what this team did last year and what it will do in t he near future.

I hope Irsay cries into his pillow at night and break expensive "items" in a fitful rage.

I'm not just bitter, I'm angry at what they are doing while hiding behind the lines.

That's why I never draft Patriots. Except for their Defense. I prefer to root for the Patriots with no other motives. The worst was drafting Gostkowski one year, thinking I score whenever the Patriots did, only to find myself ALMOST rooting for FG over TDs.

Stay away from Patriots and you're largely good - of course then you eliminate some of the best players.
Stay away from fantasy football in general :D

The secondary had a good day. On the 3rd qtr TD pass Butler took a shot at cutting under the receiver, knowing Harmon was helping deep. Harmon just missed the tackle.

The new guy Coleman was placed in some isolation with Robinson, although he gave up a couple of passes, he looks promising. This could impact Fletcher.

The team usually shows improvement after the self scouting of the bye week. I can't wait for Dallas in 2 weeks.

Ken, I said screw it and played Lewis and Blount. It worked out well. 17 and 28 points was enough to add to the win today. Daring, but had little choice. LeVeon Bell was a given but Arian Foster ended up out again and CJ Spiller just doesn't get it done.

I don't really have any problem separating fantasy from reality.

I dropped Blount for Lewis. The person I played picked up Blount. I got a little ribbing for dropping him when he scored 27 or whatever.

But I don't have money in it. It's just something fun to do with friends.

I filled out my first fantasy team ever on Yahoo last night. I had Brady, Edelman and Gronk on my team and Bronco's defense. When time came to fill in the credit card information, I said "nah" and just shut it down. I could not imagine myself rooting for Bronco's defense. I am so glad I did not get into it. Just screws up the enjoyment of the game.

SECONDARY
I want to see how many reps Brown got. It seems that Coleman got almost as many as he did. Is Brown injured? Coleman looked OK. I don't think that we'll be seeing Fletcher anytime soon.

RECEIVERS
OK, many of have been supporting Dobson, but Martin stepped in a looked as good in his first game. And as Fencer said, Amendola is doing a fine job.

THE RUNNING GAME (the real running game)
Welcome back BLOUNT!!!! And, yeah, White looked pretty good, enough for us to see him more instead of Bolden.

If they aren't going 0-16 then maybe going 7-9 would be good enough. Forget that. I hope they get the #1 draft pick this year. Either way, I don't think we'll get a chance to play them twice this year and I look forward to our matchup with them. I want a total domination. I want their owner livid that the product he and his coaches put on the field is so putrid. I want them to know that no matter what they have done, it can't take away from what this team did last year and what it will do in t he near future.

I hope Irsay cries into his pillow at night and break expensive "items" in a fitful rage.

I'm not just bitter, I'm angry at what they are doing while hiding behind the lines.

Ummm....7-9 will be good enough to win the AFC South - - so they will be a playoff team. Pathetic.

Stay away from fantasy football in general :D

Let's play "Which is Better?" :)

Is Fantasy Money better, or Real Money that you can actually spend?
Is a Fantasy wife/girlfriend better, or a Real, loving wife/girlfriend to snuggle in bed with?
Is a Fantasy job (such as the Patriots GM's on this website) better, or a Real job that provides career fulfillment and a paycheck?
Is a Fantasy home (that you look at from the curb) better, or a Real Home where you can eat, drink, sleep, and watch football?
Is Fantasy Football better, or Real football? I think the answer is clear. :D

The secondary had a good day. On the 3rd qtr TD pass Butler took a shot at cutting under the receiver, knowing Harmon was helping deep. Harmon just missed the tackle.

If you watch the play, Butler's plant foot slips just as he is launching himself to tip the pass. That doesn't help him either..

The new guy Coleman was placed in some isolation with Robinson, although he gave up a couple of passes, he looks promising. This could impact Fletcher.
I was impressed, overall, with Coleman. Very poised and didn't get bullied by the receivers..

The team usually shows improvement after the self scouting of the bye week. I can't wait for Dallas in 2 weeks.

What to do for the next 13 days.. ??

The sure-fire method of retaining the pure enjoyment of the game v. FF: autodraft. I'm in two leagues, and have only one Patriot (Jules). If I can pull off the wins this week, I'll be 3-0 in each.

What to do for the next 13 days.. ??

Obsess over minor details like everyone else.

One play that will make BB crazy at the film session today was the d assuming a pass on the Bortels fumble. They stood around instead of going after the ball. You always go after a ball on the ground. That won't happen again I'll wager.

- Dobson blows. I can't remember seeing him catch a ball and stay on his feet on the same play.

- Being a fan of the Pats is like being on a roller coaster that never stops and has many more ups than downs.

- Too bad about the Ravens.

We found our fletcher replacement in coleman. I think he even got more snaps than brown. If he builds from what I saw yesterday we may have found our #2cb and it is a good development for our secondary.

I really want Dobson to succeed. But the man can't catch it cleanly with his hands consistently and just fight for it in generally. Just a little more ambition on his part and he could have had 2 or more tds on the season. I like Martin, he has the separation I see Dobson gets too but unlike dobs he caught it cleanly yesterday. I like out reciever group, if guys get dinged up we have capable backups.

Ummm....7-9 will be good enough to win the AFC South - - so they will be a playoff team. Pathetic.

Actually, this could be the year that really exposes the idiotic 4-team division setup and at the same time slaps back the Pats haters that deserve it most.

The AFCS champ could be a team other than Indy. Houston or Tennessee could have the same 7-9 record and win on a tie-breaker.

That would put Indy and Baltimore out of the playoffs before the first game is played. Talk about sweet justice.

Throw in the Steelers and we'd have a perfect trifecta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3