PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I would assume with all these new recivers that they will dumb down the offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patradomous

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

They should simplify the offense till these guys get acclimated.

They have enough talent to dumb down the O.
I mean its the same ole game. If you can run effectivly you will be able to pass effectivley and vise versa.

Any thoughts?

They should simplify the offense till these guys get acclimated.

They have enough talent to dumb down the O.
I mean its the same ole game. If you can run effectivly you will be able to pass effectivley and vise versa.

I think they drafted guys to fit the scheme, and not to change the scheme for the guys they drafted. I think they may feel like without Welker, Brady may be forced to be more patient with these guys as they get acclimated which may be a step back in the regular season, but hopefully a step forward in postseason offensive play.

I don't know if that will necessarily be the case.

Gronkowski and Hernandez contributed immediately as rookies.

Moss, Welker, and others contributed immediately in their first year with the Patriots.

If there is a shift then it may be a decision to move towards more bigger pass catchers that can go battle for the ball, which should in theory help in the red zone against the better, more physical defenses.

BB said that Dobson is a very smart receiver and that was one of the reasons he drafted him. So I don't think they're planning on changing the offense at all.

I don't know if that will necessarily be the case.

Gronkowski and Hernandez contributed immediately as rookies.

Moss, Welker, and others contributed immediately in their first year with the Patriots.

If there is a shift then it may be a decision to move towards more bigger pass catchers that can go battle for the ball, which should in theory help in the red zone against the better, more physical defenses.

Right shift in body type more so than scheme. Maybe they realize with Brady getting older he can't be pinpoint accurate for 19 games a year. Which is too much to ask of the man anyway.

We needed guys that offer physical mismatches because we only had Gronkowski who really presented that and Hernandez when he is healthy. Now We may have added 2 more (hopefully).

True. But from Amendola to Jenkins to the two Rookies this is still all new to them.I just wonder how fast and how much than can take on as a group to learn a complex offense.

True. But from Amendola to Jenkins to the two Rookies this is still all new to them.I just wonder how fast and how much than can take on as a group to learn a complex offense.

Perhaps they install less plays early on and build up throughout the year more so than usual. But I think the expectation from day 1 for everyone will be an ability to react to coverages and be on the same page as Brady, which is a tall task.

Both WRs that the Pats drafted are very intelligent, as are everyone they drafted. Aaron Dobson maintained an Honors program and carried a 3+ GPA; and I'm sure received Academic All American nominations. Josh Boyce had the second highest Wonderlic score of all the WR candidates this draft.

All the other draftees are also genuine student athletes. Jamie Collins is very smart. The Rutger twins were All Big East and also Academic All Americans.

Bill Belichcik knows that dumb players can't grasp the plays and if they do they slow everyones installation of game plans, limiting what the Team can do.

Both WRs that the Pats drafted are very intelligent, as are everyone they drafted. Aaron Dobson maintained an Honors program and carried a 3+ GPA; and I'm sure received Academic All American nominations. Josh Boyce had the second highest Wonderlic score of all the WR candidates this draft.

All the other draftees are also genuine student athletes. Jamie Collins is very smart. The Rutger twins were All Big East and also Academic All Americans.

Bill Belichcik knows that dumb players can't grasp the plays and if they do they slow everyones installation of game plans, limiting what the Team can do.

He's made a concerted effort to get better character guys and smarter the guys in the last couple years. He only had a blind spot for ocho cinco (the ultimate dumbass :p )

He said that about Chad Jackson too.

and Taylor Price, and Brandon Tate and Ocho ...Lets hope Amendola, Boyce Dobson, Jenkins don't make dumb shiitt list.

images

amendola's already beenin the mcd o

I'm just glad they added more WR's so that we can finally have one with a number in the 80's.

I don't think Dobson will have an issue getting the O

Amedola had some exposure to the Pats' offense when McDaniels was the OC of the Rams. He got hurt early, but he knows the terminology and the routes. His learning curve will be more his raporte with Brady.

I am not worried about Amendola. Jones and jenkins we will need to worry about for depth purposes in case Amendola goes down. As well as the rookies.

But BB says Dobson is a very smart player. He knows more about this than we do so i will take his word for it

... raporte with Brady.
I think ultimately for all the new players in the WR corps this is the most important thing - that rapport with Tom. Without it I doubt any of them succeed there.

As for "dumbing" down offense, I don't think they will need to. From all indications these are smart football players. For instance, Rob's not the sharpest tool in the shed, as we all know, and he had no problem assimilating himself within the offense. These guys are intelligent people so I don't think grasping this complex offense will be an issue for them.

I'm concerned with how they handle being NFLers from here on out; including the speed of the game, competition level, pressure situations, understanding situational football, the media and so forth. Those things are equally as, if not more, important as playbook knowledge.

I am not worried about Amendola. Jones and jenkins we will need to worry about for depth purposes in case Amendola goes down. As well as the rookies.

But BB says Dobson is a very smart player. He knows more about this than we do so i will take his word for it

Graduating Cum Laud would seem to confirm Bill's researched view. Ditto for Josh Boyce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes