PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Maroney will be splitting time with Morris/Faulk more than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Maroney will run for 1500 yards this season. He is headed to the pro bowl, and will join the honor roll of elite rbs in the NFL.

I was thinking 1400, but generally agree that he is going to be lightning on the field. That new blocking scheme is going to give him the opportunity to rack up yards like we haven't seen since Curtis Martin was playing for NEP.

I think fans have gotten used to seeing Dillon and Pokey Smith and the myriad of lesser backs like Mike Cloud and his ilk.

Maroney is break a few easily, and probably pick up another ~300+yds receiving...

But FF, how can you say that??? Maroney did NOTHING last year, except get a few carries and then get injured. He's a JAG until proven otherwise. Right, guys?

But FF, how can you say that??? Maroney did NOTHING last year, except get a few carries and then get injured. He's a JAG until proven otherwise. Right, guys?

that must have been patrick cobbs wearing #39 on those kickoff returns

that must have been patrick cobbs wearing #39 on those kickoff returns

Right, it couldn't have been Maroney averaging 4+ ypc while splitting time with Dillon on his way to 750 yards rushing. And it couldn't have been Maroney gaining another nearly 200 yds. receiving and nearly 800 KR yards. Because, as we all know, Maroney has shown nothing to indicate he's special. Nothing that proves he's capable of becoming a #1 RB.

I expect Maroney obviously to see more action than last year when Dillon was here but I may be only one of a few or less on here that thinks BB will be using Morris in split time much more often than people think.

Its a known fact that BB absolutely loves Sammy Morris (In a player-love way of course:p ) and did what it took to get him here,I do not think Morris will be in for just a few plays and I would not be surprised at many a game to see him in about 1/2 of the game as Maroney will be in and of course with Faulk and Evans in the mix as well depending on situations and formation calls.

I just don't see BB taking a chance on using Maroney as a full time heavy carrier and will split duties more often than many think.

Maroney's shoulder may be a factor as well as to why BB brought Morris to help in keeping that shoulder fresh and avoiding reinjury and I truly expect this is what we will see in 2007 with what many of you called a 2 headed monster attack of course without the bulldozer Corey was.

I just don't see Maroney carrying heavy loads like some here do.

Like I have said somewhat earlier in the preseason I see Maroney with about 950-1,100 Yards if he stays healthy and Morris with 2nd highest rushing on the team with about 750-800 yards or so - I think it will be that close.

Your thoughts?

Huge props to Morris for his great play this past Friday.....the guy is a gamer who has been on my radar since he was with Buffalo......and was hoping we nabbed him before Miami did.....the guy always fights for extra yards....and is a diamond in the rough (for a weak analogy)........expect big things for him this year....and agree....Maroney will be the key back....but expect alot from the others as well.....alot of playing time for Morris

I'm sorry. You're right. We drafted Maroney in the first round because he can't be a feature back and we want him to split carries with a career back-up like Sammy Morris. Yeah Morris will spell Maroney at times, but to think that Morris is going to be right behind Maroney as far as carries and yards go IS ridiculous. If Belichick and Pioli didn't think Maroney can be a feature back then they wouldn't have drafted him in the first. And if Morris is being used almost 50/50 with Maroney, that's a BAD thing.

"if Morris is being used almost 50/50 with Maroney, that's a BAD thing."

I think that you are looking at this with a little bit of tunnel vision Nordy. First of all ANY COMBINATION that MAKES US WIN is a GREAT thing.......Secondly, Morris could have/shoulda been a starter on most teams......the guy is that good....but when you are in a backfield scheme with Travis Henry/Ron Brown (was R. Williams in Miami when Morris was there?)......you are fighting for reps........I expect Morris to be a huge asset to our offense and yes, look for him to be involved often.....one man's opinion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, Morris could have/shoulda been a starter on most teams......the guy is that good....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, he's not that good. He's what he's always been, a solid back-up to come in and spell the starter. If Maroney doesn't show himself to be better than Morris, the first round pick we spent on Kool-Aid was a waste.

Last edited:
I see it like this:

60% Maroney
35% Morris
4.8% Evans/Faulk
.15% Brady
.05% Welker (1 end around)

Morris could have/shoulda been a starter on most teams......the guy is that good....

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! LOL! This thread has gone from irritating to HIIIIIIIIII-LARIOUS! This is ridiculous. Talk about an overreaction to ONE good pre-season game. I mean, hey, I liked what I saw out of Morris, too. I was surprised. I feel better about our RB situation than I did prior to that game, but people - PLEASE. Please, for God's sake, you have GOT to be kidding me!

Is this some sort of football variant on cabin fever? The season will be here soon enough, but this Morris stuff is getting out of hand. He's a JAG-plus AT BEST, always been, likely always will be. Casale, for the love of all that is Holy, send us some smack-down love on this nonsense Wednesday morning. Help out the reamining sane with a reality check. Goodness.

Last edited:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! LOL! This thread has gone from irritating to HIIIIIIIIII-LARIOUS! This is ridiculous. Talk about an overreaction to ONE good pre-season game. I mean, hey, I liked what I saw out of Morris, too. I was surprised. I feel better about our RB situation than I did prior to that game, but people - PLEASE. Please, for God's sake, you have GOT to be kidding me!

Is this some sort of football variant on cabin fever? The season will be here soon enough, but this Morris stuff is getting out of hand. He's a JAG-plus AT BEST, always been, likely always will be. Casale, for the love of all that is Holy, send us some smack-down love on this nonsense Wednesday morning. Help out the reamining sane with a reality check. Goodness.

Time will tell patsox23 who is right about this.

What Morris has done on previous teams means squat now,What you have seen so far in his career has been on other teams and its not relevant to what some of us think he will do here,many so-called JAGS looked O.K. on thier previous teams then came here and revived thier career upward to being a super player - I think Vrabel is one of those guys you can say was just above a JAG until he joined the Patriots,then his career became something awesome.

I think BB and Morris as Coach to player is a match made in heaven and we will see just how good Morris is this year,If he can't do better than previous years then he will be what he is for as long as his career goes.

Like I said before,I will be surprised if,when we look at the final rushing totals for this team that Maroney will have 400 or less yards in front of Morris - and 400 is the very farthest I see between LoMo as #1 and Morris as #2 - LoMo if he stays healthy will win the yard edge because he will get more carries than Morris of course but total yardage is going to be closer than you think IMO...Thats just the way I see it.

I see it like this:

60% Maroney
35% Morris
4.8% Evans/Faulk
.15% Brady
.05% Welker (1 end around)

Have they stopped using Faulk on third downs? Or are we just assuming we'll have a first down within the first two plays about 95% of the time?

Or am I missing something, and we're planning to replace Maroney with the slower but sturdier Morris for those third-down back duties?

Seems like you've packaged Evans with Faulk and reduced them to under 5% of carries, while Faulk alone has accounted for more like 7 or 8 percent over the last couple of years. Evans and Morris sort of duplicate skills (IMO) on tough yardage situations, though Morris is the better back-up featured back.

On the main post... "I think Maroney will be splitting time... more than expected" is just a silly title.

More than who expected?

I think Tom Brady will throw fewer touchdowns than expected. But also more than he ever threw before.

Come on now, guys. We can't just base all our arguments on unclear language!

PFnV

I actually expect Faulk to get more carries this year, whether as a result of game-planning to take advantage of the new receiver talent, wherein Faulk gets a higher number of draw plays in 3-5 wide formations, or simply because LoMo misses a game or three. As BB says, durability is more important than ability. The jury is still out on our star back in that department. He sure runs tough, but we haven't seen him get through a season yet.

Faulk adds a ton of versatility - he's been the most impressive runner this preseason and he is obviously the best receiver and is solid in pass protection. This makes it easy to leave him on the field, particularly when you lack the option of Corey Dillon. I expect his carries to at least double this year. In that vein, here's my prediction:

Maroney 240 carries 1,050 yards
Morris 80 carries 300 yards
Faulk 65 carries 300 yards
Evans 30 carries 100 yards

many so-called JAGS looked O.K. on thier previous teams then came here and revived thier career upward to being a super player - I think Vrabel is one of those guys you can say was just above a JAG until he joined the Patriots,then his career became something awesome.

Yeah, but Vrabel didn't come here with a #1 pick STUD at his position ahead of him on the depth chart. I just think you guys wouldn't be saying this AT ALL if not for Morris's performance in one game the other night. And again, I thought he did a nice job, too, but let's not get carried away here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back