PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Suspect The Offense Would NOT be Better With A Better Passing QB

4 passes batted down in one game, it happens too often, and of course the short throws, inability to adjust to the blitz, and the sheer slowness....of course the missed reads too.

Love how every week you keep bringing up missed reads but never are able to actually bring up even 2 examples, each time only vaguely pointing to "its out there" and when I check what the usual folks say there doesnt seem to be much talk about missed reads at all.

Instead you see things like this:

Whats obvious is that Cam struggles reading disguises and setting protections / getting out of plays accordingly. If you read between the lines Andrews admits that much:

He also has not shown many touch passes at all so far. Which hurts his consistency on screens or quick outs.

Those are the main things that are obvious. Missing reads on the other hand is not something coming up much at all.

Love how every week you keep bringing up missed reads but never are able to actually bring up even 2 examples, each time only vaguely pointing to "its out there" and when I check what the usual folks say there doesnt seem to be much talk about missed reads at all.

Instead you see things like this:

Whats obvious is that Cam struggles reading disguises and setting protections / getting out of plays accordingly. If you read between the lines Andrews admits that much:

He also has not shown many touch passes at all so far. Which hurts his consistency on screens or quick outs.

Those are the main things that are obvious. Missing reads on the other hand is not something coming up much at all.

He missed Byrd in this game with the throwback play, hewent to Myers instead. They said it in the game. It was a fine play, but why not hit the deeper receiver?

He missed Byrd in this game with the throwback play, hewent to Myers instead. They said it in the game. It was a fine play, but why not hit the deeper receiver?

???????

That was not a missed read at all. In fact it was exactly the opposite of it.

He saw Byrd -- his #1 option -- open and then went for the higher percentage throw to Meyers -- his #2 read -- because of the damn sun. You are literally trying to make a point about him missing reads with a play where Cam went through his reads and executed cleanly.

That was not a missed read at all. In fact it was exactly the opposite of it.

He saw Byrd -- his #1 option -- open and then went for the higher percentage throw to Meyers -- his #2 read -- because of the damn sun. You are literally trying to make a point about him missing reads with a play where Cam went through his reads and executed cleanly.
The color commentator (Lofton) on the broadcast even said that Byrd dropped it in pregame (with a similar play?) because of the sun.

Newton is one of the worst passers in the league. Watt had a career game vs us. First time he has ever done that. Newton misses so many reads, so many throws. The offense is not very skilled but it has a great Oline and run game. Newton should be doing a lot more.
Brady had 24 TDs and 4000 yards with a terrible Oline and non-existent run game.

Despite all the batted balls Newton still passed for 75% and 365 yards. And since getting over covid his last 4 games has been a 76% passer with zero picks.
Brady here wouldn't help. He hated NKeal Harry who can't get open or has any awareness

Newton has 4 TD passes in 9 games. FOUR.

9 TD passes would be awful. Oh, it's the QB.

This is more on the ****ty playcalls of the OC. Watch. In the red zone he never calls play action at the goal line. Gets way too fancy.

Despite all the batted balls Newton still passed for 75% and 365 yards. And since getting over covid his last 4 games has been a 76% passer with zero picks.
Brady here wouldn't help. He hated NKeal Harry who can't get open or has any awareness
You’re right. I watched the MNF game Last night. Good example. He really throws mostly to Gronk and AB. He only throws to the backs because he has to. He doesn’t have a James White to throw to.

They are blitzing Cam because he can’t diagnose them quick enough.
yeah not quick enough? he recognizes the blitz first after he's been already sacked..."oh ****, where did he came from?, now I get why they were yelling his number before the snap":whistle:

Newton was 26 for 40 = 65%, not 75%. But who cares about honesty when it kills a delusional narrative?

Cam might have whiffed on a read when he called out the Money as the Mike on a play. It might have screwed the blocking and he got sacked. Really ugly play.

My problem with Cam is he gets happy feet and doesn't always set when he throws. His pocket awareness isn’t great. He dirts the ball when he shouldn’t. He isn’t great at evading the rush. He has a long windup at times, so he doesn’t get the ball out fast enough. His long ball? Eek. Byrd bailed him out Sunday by making a great adjustment and catch. He still looks uncomfortable at times in the offense, which still looks slow in Week 11. He’s best when he runs and his best play of the day was the intermediate sideline pass to Byrd, but even that illustrates that he goes through a lot of progression.

Then again, he doesn’t throw everyone else under the bus and he’s helped to develop Byrd and Meyers. He could use “weapons:“ a couple of TEs (Jordan Thomas, here’s your shot) and a no. 1 WR.

Newton was 26 for 40 = 65%, not 75%. But who cares about honesty when it kills a delusional narrative?

Ok. 65% 365 yards and some of you are trying to say he had a bad passing day. He's actually been excellent for 4 straight games now. So the one with a delusional narrative is you. So what if Watt batted a couple passes down.

Cam newton is one of the most bi-polar passers I have seen. There was one sequence in the game where Cam newton threw the ball at Harrys feet when he was WIDE OPEN. then he proceeded to throw a beautiful pass to Meyers. Followed by another pass to an open receivers feet.

another criticism I have is he doesnt seem to see pressure or make any pre-snap adjustments. he just stands there like a statute and gets sacked.

now, the receivers and tight ends ARE a problem. BUT if you had a QB who can make his reads quicker, can actually see the blitz and throw a more accurate ball I dont think it would be wrong to say the offense would be better.

Ok. 65% 365 yards and some of you are trying to say he had a bad passing day. He's actually been excellent for 4 straight games now. So the one with a delusional narrative is you. So what if Watt batted a couple passes down.

He really had 315 because the last 50 was the Hail Mary when we needed a TD and he threw it 15 yards short.

This is more on the ****ty playcalls of the OC. Watch. In the red zone he never calls play action at the goal line. Gets way too fancy.

Andy Reid designing plays exclusively for Cant Newton would blow up on the launch pad. Cant wants to run and still carries the ball in 1 hand like a Subway $5.00 footlong.

To the OP. Do you really want to go into 2021 with these QBs again?

The OP gets me thinking rather than just reacting with frustration. There's a lot of grey in all this.

50 yards were on the final Hail Mary, so it was 65%, 315 yards if you want to fairly represent the performance. But that is not your intention, you have a narrative you want to prove and will present the misleading and incorrect stats to support your narrative.

Newton passing stats were OK. He is an "OK QB" that can lead a team to about a 0.500 record, 8-8, 7-9. At his age there is no reason to expect significant growth.

Great guy, nice person, I would love to go have a beer with him. But for the Patriots it is time to try someone else at QB.

We have a slight chance still, < 5%? So if we lose 1 or 2 more games, there is no chance and we can try Stidham this year.

Otherwise in 2021 a FA or through the draft. BB likes to sit rookie QBs for a year, most likely 2 years, so a veteran QB is very likely IMO.

I think BB intended to start Hoyer originally and then phase in Stidham. Hoyer crashed and burned, so it will be a new veteran with a rookie competing with Stidham. We have some salary cap flexibility so it will be interesting to watch.

There will be some musical chairs with QBs this off season, so buy some popcorn.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back