PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I rest my case -

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
While on the treadmill at the gym, NFL Live was on one of the TV's and they put up a graphic that (IMO) tells it all in the never ending hero worship of all things dealing with WR's. On the graphic that had the names of 10 WR's who have been named to MULTIPLE pro bowl teams, (IIRC the number was 3 or more.) and the number of superbowls they have won. All the usual suspects were listed. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones ,Moss, etc. And the ONLY one on that list was Marvin Harrison.

BTW- it should be noted that the year Harrison won was in a year where it was the Colts DEFENSE was the major player in that win, and Manning and their offense had one of the worst offensive performances for a superbowl winning teams. :eek: Something that became a pattern for Manning in his 2 Superbowl wins. (I couldn't help myself) ;)

Just another example about why all the hopes and dreams of a large percentage of our fandom are drooling over the prospect of OBJ or AB are for naught. But here's the thing, WR's DON'T win Superbowls.

That has been MY position for many years. But I am willing to be wrong. So I'm inviting all those who continually crave just about ANY WR that become available, regardless of how little a chance they might ever become Patriots; to try and state a case for our paying top dollar to acquire one of these "anchors".

Let me have it!

Totally agree Ken. I have always felt the better and harder to defend team is the one that doesn't pay for a single high end WR superstar/diva, but rather a team that has a multiplicity of good receivers who all have to be defended. A few examples come to mind--Pats in 14 and 16, Seahawks 13, Eagles last year with Jeffery/Agholor/Smith etc, NO in 2009 had a lot of very good receivers etc.

How many of those receivers ever had a good QB throwing to them.

Any Pats WR corps that doesn't have Reche Caldwell could git 'er done with Brady.
OK hyperbole aside I agree that The Squirrel has been the driving force in our last 3 SB wins. Loved his catch and unconscious run after the big hit vs Seattle.

Jason Taylor, Brian Urlacher, Junior Seau, Sean Taylor, Champ Bailey, Darrell Revis without discount to the Pats, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Suh, Albert Haynesworth, Julius Peppers, Khalil Mack. Not a great argument IMO

I see Belichick value shopping for wide receivers such as Devin Funchess, Tyrell Williams, and maybe stretching for a guy like John Brown or Golden Tate or Adam Humphries. But he's not paying high end $ for any of the name guys, because it doesn't work as well and it's not his style.

Here's a link to all the free agent WR's. Obviously it doesn't include trade candidates like AB or OBJ.

2019 NFL Free Agents Tracker

The equation changes if Gronk retires. I don’t think he wants to, but I don’t see him accepting a pay cut, and I can’t see Belichick giving him 12 million. I hope I’m wrong.

OBJ is a luxury right now, but if Gronk says goodbye he would be integral to their passing game.

Jason Taylor, Brian Urlacher, Junior Seau, Sean Taylor, Champ Bailey, Darrell Revis without discount to the Pats, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Suh, Albert Haynesworth, Julius Peppers, Khalil Mack. Not a great argument IMO

Not a great counterargument IMO

The equation changes if Gronk retires. I don’t think he wants to, but I don’t see him accepting a pay cut, and I can’t see Belichick giving him 12 million. I hope I’m wrong.

OBJ is a luxury right now, but if Gronk says goodbye he would be integral to their passing game.

Cap hit != salary.

I don't disagree with your main point, Ken, but at least in an earlier period of the NFL, there were a number of Hall of Fame wide receivers who won multiple Super Bowls: Paul Warfield, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Jerry Rice, Art Monk, and Michael Irvin. Don Maynard, Bob Hayes, and Fred Biletnikoff were each on one Super Bowl winning team.

The point isn’t that a lot of good WRs don’t win sbs the point is that virtually none do. (Personally i delineate it as the diva WR).
For everyone you list there are other studs at the position who have won sbs

I get the argument. But, if your willing to buy into the Patriot way with the do your job lunch pail attitude, you would think it not only makes you a Patriot that’s all in, but is an extremely talented all in as well.

Randy Moss came very close to making this discussion mute. He did great, great things here and if not for a non hold and miraculous stupid catch.......

Don’t see why a someone wouldn’t want a super star wr, a shifty unconverable wr with a goat Te on the same team. The possibilities would be endless.

Don’t get me wrong, they can win without OBJ or Brown, they won two years ago without Gronkowski. I think it just goes back to you can never have enough weapons. Especially when injuries loom large in this league.

The point isn’t that a lot of good WRs don’t win sbs the point is that virtually none do. (Personally i delineate it as the diva WR).
For everyone you list there are other studs at the position who have won sbs
Alshon Jeffery, Demarious Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, are just a quick few stud WRs to name who have won Superbowls within the last decade

In the last 20 years or so, very few elite WRs won SBs, but before that, it was very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots