PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Have Exactly Zero Priorities For The Draft Other Than Quarterback

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I would be fine if the first 3 picks are used on a quarterback or two. For Year 3 of the Belichick Plan, we need a starter and a backup.
===============
Sure, we will draft the usual suspects late: an OG, an OT, a CB, a WR and a STer.
=================
My expectation is that free agency (or a trade) will be used to acquire a RB, CB and an IOL. We are replacing White, Burkhead, McCourty and Eluemunor. I have Karras upgrading Ferentz and Mills replacing Brooks.

I suppose we could count on Gimore AND Jackson AND Williams. It still makes sense to bring in a backup or camp compeitition.

Last edited:
Quite right. At this stage the Pats' needs are quarterback, quarterback and quarterback.

(Unfortunately, there looks to be a big fall-off after the Big Four and Kiper thinks that they could go 1-4 (Carolina moving up to 3 in a trade with Miami). That sounds plausible to me. )

they need a RB if Burkhead and White are gone

they need interior DL, interior LB, CB,

the Pats could use a QB, but they won't find an immediate starter in the draft.

Other than QB, I have quite a few other priorities in the draft.

We have other priorities, but QB should be the main focus and everything else should be considered luxury.

Patriots need a DT and a MLB
They restocked the whole DT position.
GOD
Anderson
Cowart
Davis
Adams

and Wise on 3rd down.
I mean I’ll never argue with drafting a DL or OL on day3 but I don’t see the needs.

At LB we have 4 spots for any combination of ILB/OLB/DE in our nickel base.

HT
KVN
Judon
will be 3 of the 4 90% of the time so that leaves one spot for

winovich
Uche
McMillan
Jennings
Bentley
To share.

I don’t see a lot of room

The key thing is if you don't have a real quarterback you don't [expletive deleted] matter, period, end of discussion.

They still need other players obviously but if they get great players at every position and have no QB, 2021 is still a lost cause and we're talking about waiting until 2022 or 2023 to matter again.

I would be fine if the first 3 picks are used on a quarterback or two. For Year 3 of the Belichick Plan, we need a starter and a backup.
===============
Sure, we will draft the usual suspects late: an OG, an OT, a CB, a WR and a STer.
=================
My expectation is that free agency (or a trade) will be used to acquire a RB, CB and an IOL. We are replacing White, Burkhead, McCourty and Eluemunor. I have Karras upgrading Ferentz and Mills replacing Brooks.

I suppose we could count on Gimore AND Jackson AND Williams. It still makes sense to bring in a backup or camp compeitition.
Any good, contributing football players.

GOD
Anderson
Cowart
Davis
Adams

and Wise on 3rd down.
I mean I’ll never argue with drafting a DL or OL on day3 but I don’t see the needs.

HT
KVN
Judon

winovich
Uche
McMillan
Jennings
Bentley
To share.

just want to add Hall to that list since i think he was better than Bentley and has a legit shot for the roster

Last edited:
I think it would be in our best interest to get an elite linebacker if there is one available. It is hard to find a Mayo or Kuechly like talent later in the draft.

If Bentley has a chance, then Hall has also. I don't expect either on the 53.
Hall might go back to PS or want to playe elsewhere if he doesn't get it here. Can see teams where he can make the roster

Other than QB, I have quite a few other priorities in the draft.
QB
Vince Wilfork 2.0
Field stretching WR which I know Bill cannot bring himself to drafting for a multitude of reasons I have already shared.
Run stuffing ILB

This would be a win to me.

They need to draft a linebacker to replace HT with the 15th pick. Then you can draft 6 straight QBs. One of them has to make the team.

GOD
Anderson
Cowart
Davis
Adams

and Wise on 3rd down.

HT
KVN
Judon

winovich
Uche
McMillan
Jennings
Bentley
To share.

Those DTs are just guys, they need a difference maker...same with MLB which they have 2...Bentley, hightower...and then the new guy what's his name...so 3...but they can use an upgrade.

BB hasn’t taken a first round QB. Anything can happen, but I don’t think it’s going to change this year.

Those DTs are just guys, they need a difference maker...same with MLB which they have 2...Bentley, hightower...and then the new guy what's his name...so 3...but they can use an upgrade.
His name is Van Noy, shouldn't be difficult to remember.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back