PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hate to say this but I think we were due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many penalties, although it did not effect the outcome…

Exsqueeze me?

Ineligible Receiver Downfield penalty, during Pats’ first drive of the game, prevented them from having a 1st/10 at Indy 32, already in realistic FG range… Drive ends in punt;

Offsides by the less-than-useless pile of rancid garbage Brandon the King of Incriminating Photos, during the 3rd quarter, leads Directly to 3 points for the Clots;

False Start by Onwenu, during Pats’ penultimate drive of the game, very likely takes away 4 extra points…

Plus-7 for us and Minus-3 for them = Tie Game… and that’s not even beginning to account for all of our own easily-preventable ****-ups…

We played like absolute doggy doodoo, and still had a shot to win this game. I'm hearing the Colts have a banner ceremony scheduled for this week in case some want to tune in.

As I said in the Game Day Thread, I've been trying to figure out whether this year's team is like the 2010 team or the 2004 team. 2010 could blow people out like no other but at the first sign of adversity they fell apart. I thought the grit we played with in the second half showed no quit and on the road to boot. If I'm the Colts head coach I'm talking to my team about how we narrowly escaped with a win despite the Patriots gifting us 17 points and taking 40 minutes off. In a rematch I'm thinking we win 100% of the time.

As I said in the Game Day Thread, I've been trying to figure out whether this year's team is like the 2010 team or the 2004 team. 2010 could blow people out like no other but at the first sign of adversity they fell apart. I thought the grit we played with in the second half showed no quit and on the road to boot. If I'm the Colts head coach I'm talking to my team about how we narrowly escaped with a win despite the Patriots gifting us 17 points and taking 40 minutes off. In a rematch I'm thinking we win 100% of the time.

Very similar to 2010. This defense is better, that offense was better. Strong overall team that can breeze when we play clean. But they don’t have that legit playmaker to consistently pull out games like last night and early in the year where turnovers/penalties/st miscues put us in a hole. Gronk was just a rookie, not quite there, and welker was coming off an acl tear …. Anyways at full strength we saw what he did in his big moment.

This team could succeed but they need the following: tie or win turnovers, tie or win the st battle, similar penalty yardage or better . When they do these, they have yet to lose a game. But i feel in the playoffs there will be a game where we wont and at the time we really dont have the horses to get it done in those tough situations. Likely we are one more good offseason from being a legit favorite. Doesnt rule out a super bowl run as we saw in 01 but wed need to string together 3 or 4 very clean games.

The colts beat us up real good. It wasn’t really Jonathan Taylor going off the whole game, we just got bullied in all 3 phases. Giving up the blocked punt which is the 3rd of the year ended up being the difference maker. BB coached teams don’t usually make dumb mistakes like that on special teams and I think it’s the same guy who’s given up the blocked punt. Thank god this type of game didn’t happen in January or there would be nothing to fix since the season would be over. There’s a good chance we see these guys again and if we don’t lose again then it’ll be at Gillette stadium.

good patriot teams of the past responded after an ugly loss like this and we responded this year after starting 2-4. I hope to see more physicality next week against buffalo.
major payne GIF
"Guess I just had that one comin'!..."

Kickoff coverage hasn't seemed great for a few years, a few mishaps on punt protection and/or punt coverage.

The FG unit and PR group generally seem solid. Kickoff coverage and punt protection/coverage sometimes seems like it could use a little polish to my eye.
You're certainly right about the kickoff coverage - last non mediocre years were '16/'17:

The mishaps are noted, but I will mention that Opponent net yards per punt attempt though has been great with the Pats in top 4 for the last 4 years:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft