PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I anticipate a statement game this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensively, this game sets up well for us. We can't defend the pass, but Tebow can't pass. We can defend the run. And we don't let running QBs beat us.

Tebow can pass. He passed just fine against the Vikings, and stats-wise, they're marginally better than the Pats. And he's showing improvement every week.

As far as running QBs, you haven't faced a QB who runs like Tebow.

Not saying you can't defend him, but other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position.

It's all going to come down to the Broncos ability to disrupt the passing game. That's a huge task, but if they're even somewhat successful, it'll be an interesting game.

Maybe a little too interesting for Pats Fans.

Last edited:
Tebow can pass. He passed just fine against the Vikings, and stats-wise, they're marginally better than the Pats. And he's showing improvement every week.

Not saying you can't defend him, but other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position.

It's all going to come down to the Broncos ability to disrupt the passing game. That's a huge task, but if they're even somewhat successful, it'll be an interesting game.

Belichick's going to go no holds bard at stuffing the run and letting Tebow be montana for a day. He doesn't want a slow clock burner with a safe ground game. Even if you kill time with dink and dunks it's best to have the ball air bound for turn over potential.

We've been watching shoot outs all season, I don't know if interesting's the word for them. should be fun

A "W" is pretty articulate .

Belichick's going to go no holds bard at stuffing the run and letting Tebow be montana for a day. He doesn't want a slow clock burner with a safe ground game. Even if you kill time with dink and dunks it's best to have the ball air bound for turn over potential.

We've been watching shoot outs all season, I don't know if interesting's the word for them. should be fun

I think that's the way to go for the Pats.

The issue is stuffing the run game against the Broncos is tough to do. As has been observed, when the Broncos line up in a 1-back set, then they really have 2 backs, and if they run a 2-back set, then they have three backs.

I've seen mention here of the Pats success stopping the wildcat, but with most wildcat formations, you either have the QB split wide, and no one's afraid of that, or you have no QB on the field, which means virtually no passing threat.

It's different with the Broncos. From what I've seen, even defenses that are more or less successful defending them for most of the game will have 1 or 2 breakdowns that go for long gains.

And if they have to commit 8 in the box, there's a good chance of getting burned on some passes, too—especially with the Pats pass defense in the shape it is.

The "statement game" paradigm is crap.
Give me a W where Brady does not get pounded by Denver's aggressive pass rush and no more Patriots get injured.
I'll be happy.

The "statement game" paradigm is crap.
Give me a W where Brady does not get pounded by Denver's aggressive pass rush and no more Patriots get injured.
I'll be happy.

I gave several examples of "statement games" and how Belichick has used the hype surrounding a game for an advantage - including SB38. I don't think it's crap.

This team might drown out the noise - but they hear it. Former players like Bruschi/Harrison have admitted as much.

Historically speaking, the more hype and BS surrounding a given football game - with the one exception I don't feel like mentioning excluded - the more focused & ready this team is, and the better their execution.

Especially consider recent history. (I feel this team has the same level of chemistry as last year's.) The 45-3 trouncing of the Jets last year; or our beatdown of them this year. Our beating of Pittsburgh after the Browns game last year.

I'd also point out Belichick's pre-game speech before SB 38, when he riled up the team by pointing out how the media was giving Carolina so much credit. Belichick said something like "they haven't accomplished what we have accomplished." And made it personal. The Chargers game in 2007 would be another example, right after the Spygate stuff broke.

This week, the Denver Tebows have been hyped up beyond belief. I can't remember a regular season game with so little relative consequence getting so much damn hype. It's insane. Even the rights to air this game became a controversy. For the first time in who knows how long, Tom Brady & Bill Belichick are not even a focus going into the game, instead its an opposing QB who can't complete half of his passes.

The reality is - the offensive execution of this team has been improving recently. This team could've dropped 50 last week with just slightly better execution. They are very close - and perhaps that's why TB and BOB were so frustrated.

Statistically - especially when opposing defense is accounted for - this offense is right there with NO & GB this year, but to our own eyes, I feel like we haven't seen the 60 minute performance we've been waiting for.

I have a feeling this is the week it all comes together. The added motivation surrounding this game will only lead to increased focus.

Defensively, this game sets up well for us. We can't defend the pass, but Tebow can't pass. We can defend the run. And we don't let running QBs beat us.

I expect a Patriots rout and an FU TD from Belichick sometime around 7pm EST on Sunday.

I don't really think the Patriots are paying any attention to the media infatuation with Tebow, nor if they did would they find it offensive disrespectful, or motivational.
I do not that they are focussed on one game at a time and the one in front of them is on the road against an opponent that has won 7 straight games and is in first place in their division. I think that determines what the game means to them, and it would be the same if it were Tebow, Orton, or Billy Jo Hobert at QB.

Tebow completes 48% of his passes.
You simply will not sustain drives against us without thrwoing the ball effectively.
Tebow has overcome his shortcomings by being able to only be down 10-3 after stinking out loud for 50 minutes. What he has done after that deserves a lot of praise.
This time if he starts moving the offense after 50 minutes it will be in vain because the game will be on ice. If the Broncos have 10 points on the board when "Tebow time" begins, it will actually be "garbage time" but a nice opportunity for him to pad his stats.

I gave several examples of "statement games" and how Belichick has used the hype surrounding a game for an advantage - including SB38. I don't think it's crap.

This team might drown out the noise - but they hear it. Former players like Bruschi/Harrison have admitted as much.

If either BB or the players are reacting or strategizing to or because of the hype, we're in serious trouble.

I don't really think the Patriots are paying any attention to the media infatuation with Tebow, nor if they did would they find it offensive disrespectful, or motivational.
I do not that they are focussed on one game at a time and the one in front of them is on the road against an opponent that has won 7 straight games and is in first place in their division. I think that determines what the game means to them, and it would be the same if it were Tebow, Orton, or Billy Jo Hobert at QB.

Boy, you really buy into Belichick-speak, huh? Of course the hype affects them. Maybe not so much as to change the gameplan or whatever, but there have been countless examples of that throughout the years. From Belichick yelling "37 points on the best defense in the league, s**k my d**k!", to Bruschi admitting the chase for a perfect season became a huge thing in that 2007 locker room, and that the whole Tomase article about alleged taping of a Rams practice affected them too. You better believe those guys are jacked up and pumped about the chance to crush Tim Tebow and put an end to all this nonsense the media has put forth around this guy.

This "we take it one game at a time, it's about the Denver Broncos, we don't dwell on what's been said about Tim Tebow" is absolutely the right approach to have. But if media hype doesn't affect those guys, then they aren't human.

Last edited:
I am expecting this team to come out fired up, ready to play, and to execute a scheme that is going to be dominant. I also expect a three score margin of victory. I also expect to see the words, "Tebow", "Belichick", and "blueprint" mentioned in the same column in a lot of publications on Monday.

Last edited:
I think that's the way to go for the Pats.

The issue is stuffing the run game against the Broncos is tough to do. As has been observed, when the Broncos line up in a 1-back set, then they really have 2 backs, and if they run a 2-back set, then they have three backs.

I've seen mention here of the Pats success stopping the wildcat, but with most wildcat formations, you either have the QB split wide, and no one's afraid of that, or you have no QB on the field, which means virtually no passing threat.

It's different with the Broncos. From what I've seen, even defenses that are more or less successful defending them for most of the game will have 1 or 2 breakdowns that go for long gains.

And if they have to commit 8 in the box, there's a good chance of getting burned on some passes, too—especially with the Pats pass defense in the shape it is.

BB's priorities threw out the years remain pretty consistent, more stout against the rush, stingy in the redzone and forcing turnovers. Pass yards always end up last on the list,.. well most of the time. So judging the defense is a little tricky. We're 13th in points allowed and 13th rushing yards allowed.

And a whopping 32nd pass yards allowed, It's hard for any team to resist throwing on our secondary. Best bet is for us to score early on like others have said, to get Tebow in Montana mode. Just as long as the running game doesn't get going, BB doesn't mind. Hope our Redzone D holds up.

also, BB might be willing to get burned on passes to spark air warfare. No idea how exactly to stop the run without making big sacrifices, it's a good challenge for both teams.

Last edited:
I felt like the 2nd Jets win was our statement game of the regular season.

Denver may be tougher but it's hard to top that performance. I'll gladly take another ugly win without additional injuries.

Boy, you really buy into Belichick-speak, huh? Of course the hype affects them. Maybe not so much as to change the gameplan or whatever, but there have been countless examples of that throughout the years. From Belichick yelling "37 points on the best defense in the league, s**k my d**k!", to Bruschi admitting the chase for a perfect season became a huge thing in that 2007 locker room, and that the whole Tomase article about alleged taping of a Rams practice affected them too. You better believe those guys are jacked up and pumped about the chance to crush Tim Tebow and put an end to all this nonsense the media has put forth around this guy.

This "we take it one game at a time, it's about the Denver Broncos, we don't dwell on what's been said about Tim Tebow" is absolutely the right approach to have. But if media hype doesn't affect those guys, then they aren't human.
All of the examples you gave are about the team and its success, not whether a player gets media attention.
Nothing you posted has anything to do with caring whether another player in the league is getting attention.

Tebow in Montana mode.
Now that's funny!

That last point was a good one though. Not only daring Tebow to win with his arm, but trying to force an air war so it plays out that way.

Like I said, to me the what will decide this is the Broncos' D's ability to limit Brady's success.

Belichick's going to go no holds bard...

NoHoldsBard.jpg

:D:D:D

this is a tough one.....

if the broncos win, they stand to run the rest of the regular season table and send the jets fishing for the playoffs. to the pats, it would mean likely giving up a bye (ravens and texans) but would give them a home game most likely against the broncos again in the wildcard game.....I then like their chances in either baltimore or houston......I don't know, I just like either one of those away games.

but then again, if the jets lose to the iggles, then a win becomes more important to the pats

part of me sees the jets not making the playoffs as a relatively big highlight for the season

[EDIT] never mind...I see the broncose are going to win their division, so the jets are most likely a lock to make the playoffs....oh well

Last edited:
Can we save the statement game for the divisional round?

The op is a symbol of what is fueling tebomania. Tebow is not a particularly good qb, denver's offense has no elite weapons. They are an average team at best, beating them is no statement at all.

The op is a symbol of what is fueling tebomania. Tebow is not a particularly good qb, denver's offense has no elite weapons. They are an average team at best, beating them is no statement at all.

On the other hand, losing to them won't mean much for the Pats either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes