PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Salvage This Season?

I am seeing reasonable, level-headed suggestions. I'm encouraged that this hasn't become a "Kraft, blow the whole thing up, RIGHT NOW" thread.

We're obviously into a rebuild and it isn't going to be a one year rebuild. I wonder how long a rebuild BB and especially Kraft will tolerate.

One issue with all our division rivals for 20 years is that they would blow up their whole organization and re-start a new rebuild with new staff, over and over again.

Things can turn around quickly. Don't forget 2001, nobody expected that team to make the playoffs let alone win the Super Bowl.

This is one of those bittersweet things to hope for, and it hinges on both seeing players develop, but not winning too much to kill draft position. What a **** place to be in lmao. Do you buy into this being a potentially "deep" draft? Feel like I hear that every year now so it's hard to believe :/

Beware asking Triumph anything that requires a bona fide thought process.

IMO, draft position takes care of itself. Nothing is guaranteed drafting high and attempting to jockey for draft position, especially at midseason, can negatively impact team culture longterm.

What's your read on Brown? Depending on the day of the week it seems we either get "he's garbage and falling apart" or "he's doing his job" - I guess I'm trying to figure out if he has enough in the tank to play another year?

I also agree on the Douglas injury note. He is fast, but those jukes always have me worried. Those quick shifts of direction seem to coincide with injury over the course of a season. Just want him to last.
Brown is one of the best LT in the NFL.

Even if loses a couple of steps, he should be extended.

Play the young guys and see what you have. Douglas, Boutte, and Thornton should be your number one, two, and three receivers taking the overwhelming majority of the snaps at receiver.

Figure out which of the rookie linemen can be potential starters and where. Evaluate Onwenu at RT and see if he has potential as a starter long term or if just as a spot starter.

Get Dugger, Onwenu, and Uche on the field as much as possible and evaluate what they're worth contract-wise for 2024 and beyond.

Figure out what Mapu's role will be. Is he a LB or a safety? So far he looks like he's been playing more safety (hopefully not a Dugger replacement) but I know the hope for a lot of people was that he was more of a rangy LB. Get him some reps at LB and see if he can hold up/develop.

Evaluate if there is any chance JC Jackson is worth bringing back (at a new number) and see if Jack Jones can be a true starting corner going forward.

Don't sign veteran retreads or castoffs from other teams to try and win a couple meaningless games. Play with the guys you have and see where they fit in going forward.

Play the kids.

That’s really the whole post.

Gotta see if they have anything to build on for 2024, or of 80% of the roster needs to be turned over.

No Way Wow GIF by NBA

This is one of those bittersweet things to hope for, and it hinges on both seeing players develop, but not winning too much to kill draft position. What a **** place to be in lmao. Do you buy into this being a potentially "deep" draft? Feel like I hear that every year now so it's hard to believe :/
I don't believe draft gurus.

They are full of 5hit.

step 1.) get the #1 pick in teh draft

Step 2.) that that pick for 3 future first rounders from another team

Step 3.) Trade those first rounders for 2 first rounds each in future drafts

Step 4.) trade those future future first rounders for bubblegum picks throughout the draft being sure to grab a bunch of plucky fellas with super high ceilings, but Massive injury histories, whilst skipping over sure things.

Step 5.) cloning has been legalized, and tom brady 2.0 signs for a team friendly deal.

I don't believe draft gurus.

They are full of 5hit.

Translation: "I have no idea and would understand none of it even if I tried. Gotta go now, I put off today's chores and sis is after me."

@Vindicate You were warned. ;)

Stir it up in a pile with a generous amount of chicken manure: see if it will compost.

I agree. Any position/player in particular you're keeping an eye on?
yes, i am keeping an eye on WR

With thornton, Boutte and Douglas we have 3 young players there. Since we badly need better weapons I want to see if one of them can fill in a starter role and if others maybe only backup material.

I am also looking at o-line (Sow Mafi ..) and Edge (Uche, Jennings worth keeper?) White full time DE role?

how bout just look like a competent NFL team for 60 minutes every game? there have been way too many situations in which this team and entire operation have been amateur hour from 2020 onward...

Sure dude…Brown is one of the best LTs in the NFL. Henry is a top 10 TE and worth the huge contract. Uche is a top pass rusher. Dugger will set the defensive FA market.

I appreciate the various breakdowns, especially the first point. Given a lot of folks are hoping for a high draft position, do you think that exchange (draft position vs. playing hearts out until loss #9) would be worth it?

Yes. Looking at the draft order right now...we are sitting at #5 I believe. It will be nearly impossible to leapfrog the Bears (& Panthers), Giants, and/or the Cardinals. Even if we finish something like 7-10/6-11 instead of 4-13/5-12 I am not seeing much difference between say the #3/#4 pick and the #12/#13 pick.

And I think getting our players in the "win now" mentality is more advantageous than just letting us tank. It could develop bad habits....I want our guys practicing hard...going 100% on Sundays. And we can ALWAYS trade up if we are in love with any top pick prospect....I am already wary of Caleb Williams myself and not even sure we can draft/sign-in-FA a better QB in 2024 than Mac Jones unless a veteran becomes available via trade somehow....

Watch the games and enjoy football.
What we think, want, look for or hope has no bearing on what happens.
It’s the NFL, some players exceed expectations, some fall short.

It’s always surprising to me than as observers fans always want to think they contribute and have an impact. You don’t. Just watch it, be happy when they win and sad when they don’t.
Speak for yourself! I BELIEVE that I impact the product on the field by which underwear I wear and how I angle my Pat Patriot cap!

step 1.) get the #1 pick in teh draft

Step 2.) that that pick for 3 future first rounders from another team

Step 3.) Trade those first rounders for 2 first rounds each in future drafts

Step 4.) trade those future future first rounders for bubblegum picks throughout the draft being sure to grab a bunch of plucky fellas with super high ceilings, but Massive injury histories, whilst skipping over sure things.

Step 5.) cloning has been legalized, and tom brady 2.0 signs for a team friendly deal.

......what do you know that we don't..?! Who runs the cloning operation? Is there federal oversight?!

Lose every game and get the 1st pick in the draft.

WIDE RECEIVER
Douglas is our #1, a #1 who will be double teamed. Let him get lots of experience in that role. The most important thing here is to protect him enough so that he doesn't end up with a long term injury.

Obviously, we need to see what we have with the youngsters Thornton, Reagor and Boutte.. 0-3 could be part of the future.

And yes, we both Parker and Shuster have lots of 2024 guaranteed money. They should be evaluated when fully healthy. Either would cost little new money to be our #4 WR in 2024.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back