PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the Pats evaluate players

I recall the Patriots/Caserio talking about that during one of those annual pre-draft press conferences from several years ago that Caserio used to do. They had PFW make up bogus rankings for the exercise based on the type of information they have on their actual draft board.

patsdummyboard-e1302914095995.jpg

The other interesting thing here is that (a) Belichick went out of his way to apologize to a reporter (Phil Perry) after cutting him off on a semi-related question the previous day, and (b) gave a lengthy explanation on the subject, unprompted.

If I didn't know better it was as if somebody pulled BB aside and suggested he play nice and make amends with the reporter.

I recall the Patriots/Caserio talking about that during one of those annual pre-draft press conferences from several years ago that Caserio used to do. They had PFW make up bogus rankings for the exercise based on the type of information they have on their actual draft board.

patsdummyboard-e1302914095995.jpg

The other interesting thing here is that (a) Belichick went out of his way to apologize to a reporter (Phil Perry) after cutting him off on a semi-related question the previous day, and (b) gave a lengthy explanation on the subject, unprompted.

If I didn't know better it was as if somebody pulled BB aside and suggested he play nice and make amends with the reporter.

Is that picture just the "bogus rankings" you're referring to? Because Watt at DE6 is pretty egregious.

Is that picture just the "bogus rankings" you're referring to? Because Watt at DE6 is pretty egregious.

Yes.

It was something put together with purposely incorrect statistics/numbers, as a visual for the presentation; it was supposed to be relatively accurate in terms of what type of information and numbers were on each card, even though the specifics were off.

Yes.

It was something put together with purposely incorrect statistics/numbers, as a visual for the presentation; it was supposed to be relatively accurate in terms of what type of information and numbers were on each card, even though the specifics were off.
I wonder what the colors mean. BB specifically mentioned colors and letters (the latter of which I don't actually see in the image unless you count their position). Doesn't appear to be value groupings (which we know BB uses based on previous/recent things he's said) because they all get the same color despite what looks to be a wide range of numeric ratings. Maybe blue means "normal"/"no health or character concerns".

On the topic of value groupings, I suspect the main reason we didn't trade up for Mac Jones is that there were other players in his value group the team would have been happy to take had Jones not been available. It probably means the team didn't see Jones as a transcendent prospect, but it does in my eyes increase the chance they saw him as BPA rather than a need-based reach.

I wonder what the colors mean. BB specifically mentioned colors and letters (the latter of which I don't actually see in the image unless you count their position). Doesn't appear to be value groupings (which we know BB uses based on previous/recent things he's said) because they all get the same color despite what looks to be a wide range of numeric ratings. Maybe blue means "normal"/"no health or character concerns".

On the topic of value groupings, I suspect the main reason we didn't trade up for Mac Jones is that there were other players in his value group the team would have been happy to take had Jones not been available. It probably means the team didn't see Jones as a transcendent prospect, but it does in my eyes increase the chance they saw him as BPA rather than a need-based reach.
I assume the criterion are things like
On field performance in college
Likelihood to improve/ceiling
Character (we know they put high priority on how important is football to you)
Scheme fit
Coachability

Probably others I am not thinking of.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back