PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Patriots use their cap $ in 2024 Free Agency?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the #1 free agency priority for the Patriots?

• Sign a RB (e.g. Derrick Henry, Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Texans taught everyone that it can be much faster than that if you truly hit at QB.

If Maye/Daniels comes here and plays OROY level good, is WC spot contention off the table? I’d argue our defense is already playoff caliber when healthy. Find one major weapon at WR, make sure the line is at least competent, and then the formula is there.
WR comes after we secure 3 OT's, 2 TE's, a backup QB, a #2 RB, and re-sign or replace Dugger and Jennings.
============
I agree that if our QB starts early and is OROY we have a chance at the playoffs, but the key additional star needed is at OT not WR.

I suspect that the only significant WR signing will be Bourne.

In any case, we are starting in a serious rebuild on Offense. We have no TE's, no OT's and no QB's. We can focus on WR's next year.

It is expensive to make a mistake on a $15M+ player. Next year, we will know our system better, and will be better able to choose WR's that fit in.

I think there are going to be some WaR’s on Day 2&3 of the Drsft they can hit on, but overall I agree with you.

UCHE isn't one of the Pats best players. Jennings is better than Uche.

I'd rather seen other TEs than Henry, Gesicki and Brown..
Henry is the best TE in free agency, he might get a little less than Dalton Schultz in long term money but that will be due to age not skill.

I never said anything about signing Henry or Fant.

I think they can get to contender status by 26’ if they make the right moves, but I would pass on big ticket items from this free agent class, and focus instead on re-signing defenders they want to keep as their core, and use free agency to build a strong middle tier of players, then use the Draft for critical players at QB, OT, and WR, and next year’s free agency for the bigger ticket players, as that way you get them when you are closer to contending. I don’t see the point in paying big money for a couple of years where they aren’t contenders. I would be building to try and get a WC spot in 25’, and contending from 26’ on.
I agree. I was merely suggesting that if they decided to keep Henry, but Fant will not be cost prohibitive, he would be an upgrade.

Tight ends from college are performing. I don't think teams will be paying a lot for FA tight ends . I have a feeling the market will be between 5- 8 million for tight ends.

Henry should command 6-8 at max.

The idea that we're bringing back the same O players we had w/ the worse O in the NFL is ludicrous. There's an obvious scheme change coming that relies heavily on the run w/ OZB.

Schultz is 1.5 years younger than Henry, and a better blocker. I would re-sign P. Brown for his blocking ability alone, along w/ he should be cheap. I would then target a TE in the draft.

Bourne is coming off an ACL and there are better receivers than him. If you can't sign Pittman, sign any of Ridley, Davis, Samuel or M. Brown,. Draft WRs in the later rounds if you don't get MHJ w/ #3.

Onwenu is a RG that isn't super athletic that will demand top T money. I'd rather re-sign T. Brown, a true T, that can play on both sides. Mayo said he would repair relationships, make it happen. Then draft several OTs.

Bring in a dynamic 3-down RB. There's plenty good ones in FAcy. We'll need a good one to make the offense flow. Do not draft one.

QB: if the one left at #3 meets the scheme fit, take him, even if he has to sit for a year. If not, take either MHJ or LT (based on what happened in FAcy). Bring in a bridge QB, there's plenty that meet the criteria. Probably need a veteran anyway, to get the new scheme implemented.

That should cover the offense. Obviously, it'll be up to AvP/Wolf/Mayo to determine which players are a better fit for his scheme since we have no idea.

That's how they spent it in '21. I'd rather they don't throw it at the ocean this time.
While the contracts of Smith and Henry were completely unjustified making them the highest paid in the league at that time, they were short term and didn't cripple their cap for years. Henry is now off the books. Mills was an unnecessary signing.

Judon was a massive steal and Bourne was a bargain.

Posters seem to over exaggerate the 2021 FA as destroying the team.

Now that Flacco has probably ruled out returning to the Browns.. for me just sign him already and take WR Harrison #3

Flacco for me #1 Free Agency priority

While the contracts of Smith and Henry were completely unjustified making them the highest paid in the league at that time, they were short term and didn't cripple their cap for years. Henry is now off the books. Mills was an unnecessary signing.

Judon was a massive steal and Bourne was a bargain.

Posters seem to over exaggerate the 2021 FA as destroying the team.
Neither were the highest paid at that time, and as things went on through those years, neither were anywhere near the top.

Neither were the highest paid at that time, and as things went on through those years, neither were anywhere near the top.
I thought they were the highest paid, but they were #2 to Kelce at the time in terms of per year average. Other TE's signed after bumping them down. Kittle, Andrews and Goedert signed FA.

Last edited:
All I see is a guy who plays great despite dysfunctional coaching on a sad franchise. Wish we had him.
Watch the difference Harbaugh will make with Herbert.

I wouldn't re-sign any of those guys.

Jennings is solid, and can't cost much.

Bourne will be cheap because if he takes 12 months to heal he will only be good for one month in'24 - I think it is bad taste to drop an injured player but we do not have to pay him a lot.

Uche was great in '22, but dipped in '23. If he was injured in '23 maybe we sign him for short dollars, he is very athletic, and no-one else will bid much for him.

I have already said the Duggar and Onwenu are great, not special, and Mapu and Sow can replace them so FA dollars are not efficient resigning someone who the replacement for is already in house.

Most posters want to resign and overpay our own guys. Happens every year.

The Texans taught everyone that it can be much faster than that if you truly hit at QB.

If Maye/Daniels comes here and plays OROY level good, is WC spot contention off the table? I’d argue our defense is already playoff caliber when healthy. Find one major weapon at WR, make sure the line is at least competent, and then the formula is there.

Agreed. I keep saying there are a lot of good defensive FAs. Sign two or three and our defense will be special for a few years while we rebuild the offense through the draft.

Henry's last contract averaged 12.5/YR. Franchising him means 120%. That's 15M. Not 18.

I still wouldn't do it because he's not worth that.
The tag value isnt based on the average, its based on his cap number from last year, which was 15.5M. So 15.5 * 1.2 = 18.6M.

Like you said though, wouldn't do it either way.

Agreed. I keep saying there are a lot of good defensive FAs. Sign two or three and our defense will be special for a few years while we rebuild the offense through the draft.
I completely agree. Based on whats available, fortify the defense through FA and build the offense through the draft.
Some guys id really like: DT Christian Wilkins, CB L'Jarius Sneed, S Antoine Winfield Jr, S Geno Stone

I completely agree. Based on whats available, fortify the defense through FA and build the offense through the draft.
Some guys id really like: DT Christian Wilkins, CB L'Jarius Sneed, S Antoine Winfield Jr, S Geno Stone
Wilkins and Barmore woule be a nightmare for QB’s.

I was just kicking around some ideas as far as the bargain bin goes while filling some holes. Below would equate to about 60M in cap space used, but these could mostly be structured to front load/backload. Not sure how I feel about going crazy signing big names to big money when we will suck. Don't want to sign this many players either just looking at people we could get while keeping a chunk of money.
Name​
Years​
Money​
cap hit​
QB​
Brisett​
2​
$16,000,000.00​
$8,000,000.00​
WR​
KB​
2​
$10,000,000.00​
$5,000,000.00​
TE​
Fant​
3​
$10,500,000.00​
$3,500,000.00​
TE​
P Brown​
1​
$2,500,000.00​
$2,500,000.00​
T/G​
Onwenu​
4​
$55,000,000.00​
$13,750,000.00​
T​
Brown​
1​
$6,000,000.00​
$6,000,000.00​
Edge​
Epenesa​
2​
$12,000,000.00​
$6,000,000.00​
LB​
Jennings​
3​
$10,500,000.00​
$3,500,000.00​
CB​
A. Austin​
1​
$985,000.00​
$985,000.00​
ILB​
M. Wilson​
3​
$8,000,000.00​
$2,666,666.00​
DT​
J. Jones​
3​
$21,000,000.00​
$7,000,000.00​
S​
Bledsoe​
1​
$915,000.00​
$915,000.00​

Really interesting cut candidate option at tackle: Cam Robinson?

Jacksonville is limited on cap space, drafted a tackle in the first round last year, and save a ton by cutting him. Robinson has had issues, but has been formidable as an option for them. Turns 29 in October.

Wilkins and Barmore woule be a nightmare for QB’s.
Our Edges have a chance to be really good too. If Judon comes back healthy and White develops that would be an absolutely dominate front. Plus Uche/Jennings if we bring them back.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back