PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much $ does an NFL team make? Another year of record revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
How much money does an NFL team make? Since there is only one publicly owned team, that's a good start to the answer to that question.

Packers report another year of record revenue

Total Revenue: $441 million, up 8%

National Revenue: $244 million

Local Revenue: $197 million

Net Income: $72.8 million

That's the real reason why Jerry Jones is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Cowboys' annual revenue is twice the average of the 31 other teams, and Dallas' operating income is triple that of a typical NFL team.

Sports Money: 2016 NFL Valuations

2016 Revenue:
Dallas Cowboys: $700 million
24 other teams: between $301 and $391 million

2016 Operating Income:
Dallas Cowboys: $300 million
# of teams > $150 million: two

That's the real reason why Jerry Jones is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Cowboys' annual revenue is twice the average of the 31 other teams, and Dallas' operating income is triple that of a typical NFL team.

Sports Money: 2016 NFL Valuations

2016 Revenue:
Dallas Cowboys: $700 million
24 other teams: between $301 and $391 million

2016 Operating Income:
Dallas Cowboys: $300 million
# of teams > $150 million: two

Yep.

Without going into the details, AT&T Stadium cost ~$1.1b. Arlington kicked in $650m and Jerry kicked in $525m.

The AT&T licensing deal alone will pay Jerry $500m over the life of the agreement.

He is also collecting $750m in seat licenses.

Parking is $75. He gets most of that.

The dude knows money. My god.

The players deserve a lot more money. It's amazing the cap isn't 200+M.

Dallas Cowboys fans are going to be in for a world of shock in about 20 years because those seat licenses expire after 30 years (and the stadium is about 10 years old).

Yes I am serious.

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting!

Too much, and not nearly enough goes to the players. Somehow MLB, a stagnant league losing ratings for years, is going to start having players sign $400 million contracts soon and yet in the NFL a superstar might make $40 million in guaranteed money (which is the only money that really counts).

Dallas Cowboys fans are going to be in for a world of shock in about 20 years because those seat licenses expire after 30 years (and the stadium is about 10 years old).

Yes I am serious.

I was going to say why is that a problem. Cowboys will probably get a new stadium built before it becomes an issue...

But then I looked it up and it turns out they were in their old stadium for 38 years. They will probably resell the seat licenses for another 30 year term... and then announce a new stadium :D

Yep.

Without going into the details, AT&T Stadium cost ~$1.1b. Arlington kicked in $650m and Jerry kicked in $525m.

The AT&T licensing deal alone will pay Jerry $500m over the life of the agreement.

Parking is $75. He gets most of that.

The dude knows money. My god.

Yikes! That's pretty incredible. Good for him for having that kind of business savvy.

I do wonder, though, what do you even do with that much money? I know millionaires can blow through their funds pretty quickly, but I just wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Too much, and not nearly enough goes to the players. Somehow MLB, a stagnant league losing ratings for years, is going to start having players sign $400 million contracts soon and yet in the NFL a superstar might make $40 million in guaranteed money (which is the only money that really counts).

the rumors of the demise of MLB have been greatly exaggerated. In fact, the exact opposite is true.

2016 marked the 14th consecutive year the league posted a record revenue, increasing by $500 million over 2015. That revenue increase is essentiall the same as the total revenue of MLS ($500mill vs $536mill)

in 2016 the NFL and MLB had revenues of:

NFL - 12.7B
MLB - 9.4B

I was going to say why is that a problem. Cowboys will probably get a new stadium built before it becomes an issue...

But then I looked it up and it turns out they were in their old stadium for 38 years. They will probably resell the seat licenses for another 30 year term... and then announce a new stadium :D

Have you ever been to Dallas?

They really should pay higher for PSLs than any other city.

Those are some truly fat bastards out there. Like EVERYONE is really fat. That stadium can supposedly fit 100k Dallas folk. Which means it could probably fit 140k regular Americans, so Jerry deserves the extra PSL fees.

A quality MLB team will sell 3 million tickets each year while an NFL team will sell 20% that number.
During each of the 81 home games, concessions to feed the 40k ticket holders will be open for 5 hours selling items marked up 90%
True the NFL National TV money dwarfs the payout in the MLB, but the on property revenue at MLB stadiums offsets much of the disparity.
Factor in many MLB own their local broadcast stations .....and deliver 100s of hours of content beyond the 4 hour games that alone create 700+ hours of advertising revenue.
Plus: 24 players vs 53
I don't understand the sentiment "NFL players deserve more" when any comparison is apples to oranges

The NJ Rats should refund their entire profits to their idiot fans for misrepresenting an actual NFL franchise. Instead they'll raise ticket prices on the dumb ba$tards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back