PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many more years of Brady at the top of his game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) Brady will be in the league. (Assumingly with the Patriots, him in another uniform later in his career would crush me)
B) Brady will be at the top of his game.

I think the answer to A and the andser to B are the same. As long as Brady is at the top of his game, he will be in the league.

He'll be playing successfully until he's 50. :)

I think we have to put the "main sequence" of "Tom as we know him" extending between 5 and 8 more years (total of 35 to 38 years old). So somewhere around 2012, it becomes a likely worry, and around 2015 it becomes almost certain that the era will have ended or will be ending.

At that point, all else being sunshine and sparkles, we come to the "49ers Test": Do we establish a multiple-QB, multiple-era dominance?

#12 IS New England football right now, and it's a rare treat to watch such a talent in action... but the question is, will we come back with at least someone of Rothlisburger's abilities, to fill the gap? That is, a downgrade, but a competent game manager with upside to get to "consistently good"? Even those guys are hard to find, and for every middling talent like Big Ben, there's a bust like Akili Smith or Tim Couch stinking up the league.

Eh well. Something to worry about around 2012-2015 or so.

PFnV

Long Live The King!

Compiled a list of QB's who've won a Super Bowl at 31 years of age or older to look at...

Terry Bradshaw
Ken Stabler

Joe Montana
Phil Simms
Doug Williams

Bart Starr
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Jim Plunkett
Joe Theismann

Brad Johnson
Bart Starr
Len Dawson

Roger Staubach

Jim Plunkett

John Elway
Johnny Unitas

John Elway

Eye-opening post !

I hope both TB and BB keep their fire ... don't get bored with it all.
And i think they will.
After all, how many kings stepped down just because
life at the top got boring?

Brady will retire at 42, after winning 8 superbowls, 5 superbowl MVPs, and 3 season MVPs, forever cementing his legacy as the greatest quarterback in NFL history.

Hey, I can dream right?

The Average number of regular season games played by the 17 SB-era HOF QB's is 190.2 (Median is 192).

The seven with the fewest games played were ("seven" because Staubach and Aikman began their NFL careers after their required Active Duty in the military):
Staubach 131
Namath 140
Kelly 160
Bob Griese 161
Aikman 165
Bradshaw 168
Young 169

The six with the most games played were:
Tarkenton 246
Marino 242
Elway 234
Jurgensen 218
Dawson and Unitas 211

Of those players, i think that most people would agree that only Jurgensen and Namath hung around longer than they should have. There may be some debate over a couple of others.

As of today, Brady has started 105 regular season games. Barring injury or a change in the kind of protection he's receiving, these numbers say that he's got at least four and maybe five more seasons after 2007 at the top of his game, consistent with the findings of the "SuperBowl Wins by Age" data presented by another poster. He probably has a further two or three seasons after that when he'd still be better than most QB's, but not "Tom Brady in his prime."

The question we can't answer is what does he want to do with his life? Football was "it" for Favre and Elway and Marino. I get the impression that Tom Brady has broader, if undefined, horizons; Acting? Politics? NFL Ownerhsip? If he picks up another ring and SB MVP, I could see him saying that no one in NFL history has accomplished more and hanging it up. If he gets one for the thumb, I could easily see him retiring and moving on after the game.

Last edited:
Brady will retire at 42, after winning 8 superbowls, 5 superbowl MVPs, and 3 season MVPs, forever cementing his legacy as the greatest quarterback in NFL history.

Hey, I can dream right?

That's no dream!
The only thing I would change is the age. I would say he retires with that resume at 39!!!!

Last edited:
Put it this way. Not even Favre himself thought he could have a year like the one he's having. Yes, forced into retirement. When you are throwing the ball to everyone in a uniform besides the one you're wearing, yes forced. Are you sure you're not some Favrefugepacker? I think you might be, being all excited about the fluke season he's having, and then to compare him to Brady. You are a total Moron, who is obviously an idiot who doesn't know a thing about football.

Someone who does not know how to spell "fudge" should not be calling anyone else a "moron". Furthermore, I did not compare Favre to Brady. I said that Favre was having a Bradyesque season. How you decided that I was excited (not to mention gay) because Favre was having a "fluke season" is beyond me. To respect the achievements of another team's QB (with the exception of Peyton (isn't that a girl's name) Manning) is simply good sportsmanship.

I would like nothing better than to have Favre lose his final game in Glendale in February to the QB who will eventually surpass all his records (bar the most interceptions).

Furthermore, I will not comment on your knowledge about football because I have far too little information upon which to evaluate your knowledge base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes