PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How I feel when I talk about that Butler INT

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just re-reading one of my all-time favourite books, "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby. It got made into a bad British movie, which then got made into one of the worst sports movies ever starring Jimmy Fallon as a Red Sox fan, and if that's all you know of it, I implore you to read the book because not only is it a kazillion times better, it's one of the best sports books ever written and truly captures the essence of being a hardcore fan, for good and bad.

There's a great bit where he writes about the feeling after his team scores late in the game to win the championship after all hope is lost and everyone has given up. I think we can all relate. Thought it described how I felt better than anything I could have written.

It's a bit long, but I think it's fine for copyright since Google books has it here:

Google Books - Fever Pitch

...and even then I found that I was reining myself in, learning from recent lapses in hardened scepticism, thinking, well, at least we came close at the end there, instead of thinking, please Michael, please Michael, please put it in, please God let him score. And then he was turning a somersault, and I was flat out on the floor, and everybody in the living room jumped on top of me. Eighteen years, all forgotten in a second.

What is the correct analogy for a moment like that? In Pete Davies's brilliant book about the 1990 World Cup, All Played Out, he notices that the players use sexual imagery when trying to explain what it feels like to score a goal. I can see that sometimes, for some of the more workaday transcendent moments. Smith's third goal in our 3-0 win against Liverpool in December 1990, for example, four days after we'd been beaten 6-2 at home by Manchester United-that felt pretty good, a perfect release to an hour of mounting excitement. And four or five years back, at Norwich, Arsenal scored four times in sixteen minutes after trailing for most of the game, a quarter of an hour which also had a kind of sexual otherworldliness to it.

The trouble with the orgasm as metaphor here is that the orgasm, though obviously pleasurable, is familiar, repeatable (within a couple of hours if you've been eating your greens), and predictable, particularly for a man-if you're having sex then you know what's coming, as it were. Maybe if I hadn't made love for eighteen years, and had given up hope of doing so for another eighteen, and then suddenly, out of the blue, an opportunity presented itself … maybe in these circumstances it would be possible to recreate an approximation of that Anfield moment. Even though there is no question that sex is a nicer activity than watching football (no nil-nil draws, no offside trap, no cup upsets, and you're warm), in the normal run of things, the feelings it engenders are simply not as intense as those brought about by a once-in-a-lifetime last-minute Championship winner.

None of the moments that people describe as the best in their lives seem analogous to me. Childbirth must be extraordinarily moving, but it doesn't really have the crucial surprise element, and in any case lasts too long; the fulfilment of personal ambition-promotions, awards, what have you-doesn't have the last-minute time factor, nor the element of powerlessness that I felt that night. And what else is there that can possibly provide the suddenness? A huge pools win, maybe, but the gaining of large sums of money affects a different part of the psyche altogether, and has none of the communal ecstasy of football.

There is then, literally, nothing to describe it. I have exhausted all the available options. I can recall nothing else that I have coveted for two decades (what else is there that can reasonably be coveted for that long?), nor can I recall anything else that I have desired as both man and boy. So please, be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium.

Ripped my Brady jersey off after the kearse catch. Not in a disrespectful way to him or the team, but in a heart broken, I can't believe we lost on another fluke catch total despair type of way. I felt really bad for Brady. To play the way he did in that fourth quarter to lose on another fluke catch was more than I could handle.

To make things worse, Lynch takes it down to the 1 yard line and effectively kills the remaining game clock. Nothing left to do but watch the inevitable unfold before my eyes. Total heartbreak. "They outplayed Seattle this is a bushit ending" was all I could think about. Then I see Seattle in shotgun. These idiots don't wanna win the game on second down OK good let them get cute. All of a sudden this undrafted free agent makes one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen in my entire life. Total shock. Fell to the ground in relief. The mental exhaustion was not done though as they still couldn't take a knee. After the offsides, it finally began to hit me. We just witnessed history.

When Kearse made that catch I felt exactly how Brady's facial expression was, OH NO Here We Go Again! Then hoped we can catch a break and Butler came through.

There's a great bit where he writes about the feeling after his team scores late in the game to win the championship after all hope is lost and everyone has given up.

I think we can all relate.

Not all of us, Earthling. Fanatical Yankee's hand was Steady on the Tiller. :cool:

Great Post, though. I had no idea of the BackStory behind that Wimpy Weasel's disgusting Movie.

On one hand, it really shouldn't have had to come down to that. We thoroughly outplayed sea three quarters out of four and should have won handily rather than having to watch the whole second half under so much stress.

But on the other hand this was probably the best possible outcome. The haters were waiting to pounce on the pats if they lost this game and this play Will now haunt them forever. If the pats win by double digits it's just eh well what can you do. But to have them a yard away and snatched away like that, butlers play was the greatest possible ending in this situation.

Here's how good, and how all-encompassing, that feeling was:

Yesterday, I was finally able to watch the last two minutes of SB 42... and never ONCE thought of...

pdvd_262.jpg

...Frank Pentangeli. o_O

Im pretty sure every Pats fan was cheering like a little girl when that INT came because I know I was. BTW, found some of the comments on Youtube to be quite moving.

1 month ago

I was crying my eyes out. Im 16 every time i watched them play in the super bowl they lost. When kearse caught that ball i had my hands in my face praying for a miracle. When butler caught that pick i brought down in tears. My family tackled eachother i yelled my voice out and couldnt even see straight. It was without a doubt the best experience of my life #tombrady G.O.A.T

Wolfman12395
You can count me in on that. I'm a 50 y/o man and when I saw Butler make the pick I screamed like an 11 y/o girl. I reacted no differently than these guys throughout their whole video.

You have no idea. That interception brought tears of joy to my eyes. It was a thing of beauty.

That was awesome I love watching the younger generation react with that much emotion to the team they root for. I've been watching the Pats since the late 1970's and I'm 49 and you guys and gals are better behaved than me. I picked up my 29 year old son and swung him around like a rag doll LOL but really love it when I see all these Pats fans reaction videos to this incredible piece of sports history and see that complete turn of emotions from being totally deflated (no pun intended BTW) being so close to feeling the brutal agony of defeat to just exploding, into a sudden reversal of emotions and exhilaration of the thrill of victory! Totally amazing!

OH MY GOD! Me and my cousins did the same thing! All four of us were sitting at the edge of our seats with our pats jerseys on and our hands clutched together. You can hear a pin drop during that final play, we were dead silent. And after all the ******** I got from my friends at school (I live near bills territory) I watched that final play with my eyes wide opened. PICKED OFF, MALCOLM BUTLER!!!! WE GOT LOUD! WE WERE GOIN CRAZY! This will probably be the last Super Bowl game we'll watch together for a very long time, since my cousins are goin to college soon and what a game! This will always be held in my memories!#PATSNATION

I fell out of my chair screaming like a little girl when that happened

Yeah I just kept screaming "INTERCEPTION"!!!!!!!!! and running around the room. I was never able to enjoy a patriots Super Bowl win cause I was too young, and the other times they lost. But this makes up for all of it. This was the best experience I've ever had. (btw I'm 19 now, I was 6, 8, and 9 years old when they won in the early 2000's).

I was sure we lost the game before that INT after that catch again...i was sure of it. And was so happy i was wrong
Exactly my thoughts, and not just that, I was so pissed off that BB wasn't calling a time out after the Lynch run to the 1. Still don't understand why he didn't, no way we get down field with a game tying field goal with 20 seconds left. Still perplexed by that, BUT, it might have changed the whole dychotamy of the outcome if he did. Weird how that works out. Two lucky plays ended that game, the crazy Kearse catch, and the Butler INT, which was only lucky because Wilson lead Lockette on that pass, if he throws it more inside, that's a TD or incomplete pass.

Either way, my two favorite plays in Patriot's history are the Vinatiari game winning field goal vs the Rams, and the Butler INT.

I was sure we lost the game before that INT after that catch again...i was sure of it. And was so happy i was wrong
Exactly my thoughts, and not just that, I was so pissed off that BB wasn't calling a time out after the Lynch run to the 1. Still don't understand why he didn't, no way we get down field with a game tying field goal with 20 seconds left. Still perplexed by that, BUT, it might have changed the whole dychotamy of the outcome if he did. Weird how that works out. Two lucky plays ended that game, the crazy Kearse catch, and the Butler INT, which was only lucky because Wilson lead Lockette on that pass, if he throws it more inside, that's a TD or incomplete pass.

Either way, my two favorite plays in Patriot's history are the Vinatiari game winning field goal vs the Rams, and the Butler INT.

I don't know about you guys, but I am still on cloud 9. i have to pinch myself - the patriots won their 4th Lombardi! I would really be sad if BB and Brady ended their careers with only 3 rings.

Also, we were screaming "Oh My God" over and over again, was in such shock. I have to admit, I really didn't see the pick, the play was so fast, so bang-bang, I didn't realize he picked it. My nephew, jumped off the couch the second it happened. My Mom, was hiding her eyes on the play, so she didn't see it until we all started screaming. It was just a crazy moment, one I may never get over as far as happiness. I also think, we probably ALL had the same reaction when we saw Richard Sherman's reaction to the play. The win is one of my happiest sports moments of my life. I really wanted this one badly, especialy after losing the last 2 the way we did, and almost another one, just so happy it wound up the way it did.

I'm glad I had scheduled the following day off as a vacation day, I was up until 3:45am the next morning just watching the post game stuff on ESPN and The NFL Network. Just was so amped up.

I don't know about you guys, but I am still on cloud 9. i have to pinch myself - the patriots won their 4th Lombardi! I would really be sad if BB and Brady ended their careers with only 3 rings.

...and the scary part is, is that there just might be more to come. Just imagine if Brady and Belichick get a FIFTH Super Bowl win?!?!

Yeah, it really just sets their legacys as one of the greatest coaches (my opinion, greatest) and one of the greatest QBs (my opinion, greatest) of all time. I don't even think haters can leave them out of the top 5 all time in each category.

Yeah, it really just sets their legacys as one of the greatest coaches (my opinion, greatest) and one of the greatest QBs (my opinion, greatest) of all time. I don't even think haters can leave them out of the top 5 all time in each category.

Try top 2 in each category :)

Here's me with the int:
gif-happy-dance.gif

Here's me with the int:
gif-happy-dance.gif

whoa, nice moves man! lol

The more I think about, the more Butler's play truly does feel like an "immaculate interception"

Keith Goldner of numberfire.com argues that the likelihood of a turnover ever taking place at the 1-yard line was only 3.1%. This season, there were 108 passes from the 1-yard line, resulting in 66 touchdown passes and zero interceptions. In fact, since 1998, only five players have thrown an interception in the fourth quarter from the 1-yard line, trailing by eight points or less – and none of these have occurred during a Super Bowl game.

And just thing about how hard and fast Butler had to move to jump the route. Slant passes are precision routes that need to be snatched out of the air quickly. It's essentially a race to the point of attack. From a match-up standpoint, you would expect a big-bodied experienced receiver like Lockette to prevail. Lockette is 6 foot 2 and 211 pounds, and Butler is 5 foot 11 and 180 pounds. Considering that the two men arrived at basically the same spot at the same time, the laws of physics say the 211-pound receiver should have prevailed over the smaller defensive back. But Butler saw all this coming ahead of time, and when Wilson ****ed his arm back, Butler had already broken hard on the route and sprinted to the inside before Lockette knew what was coming. He slammed his shoulder into Lockette using all of his momentum to overcome the 31-pound weight differential, and the force of it sent Lockette airborne onto the ground.

Easily the most clutch defensive play of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes