PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Does a Pats Win or Loss Affect Your Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it has more to do with HOW LONG the season lasts. I'd prefer to lose a SB vs. an AFC title game because I hate watching the other guys win the title or crap the bed ('06 Colts, '12 Ravens, '13 Broncos, and '15. Broncos).

The hardest losses for me as a Patriots fan:

'06 AFC title game - Phantom PI, up 21-3, and not converting a 3rd/4.

'10 Divisional - Losing to Rex Ryan...and going 2-3 vs. Rex at that point.....

'97 AFC divisional - Todd Collins not chasing Stewart OOB and Vrabel getting around Armstrong to sack Bledsoe to end the game.

'85 Superbowl - Killed me as a kid who didn't understand that the Bears were an all time team especially after taking a 3-0 lead.

'12 AFC title game - Watching Anquan Boldin make catch after catch in the 2nd half.....

'15 AFC title game - Missed PAT and Gronk being wide open in the corner of the EZ on the two point attempt...

Then the two SB losses to the G-Men.

The loss to the Eagles...I got over it in about 2-3 days...was bothered that we blew a 500 yard game by Brady...

For me, I like a return on my season long emotional investment...so the longer they play the happier I am. When we kick off on Sunday, we will be one of the THREE remaining NFL teams left...and can't complain about that. Also, I really like Patrick Mahomes and losing to him or Andy Reid won't bother me too much. I even think I will root for KC in the big game. It won't hurt as much as losing to Rex Ryan, Terrell Suggs, etc....

Win or lose, I always feel like beating the crap out of people that ask stupid questions.

i used to get really low after a loss, particularly in the playoffs. I am trying to get better, but I can't say I am out of the woods yet.

I mean were New Englanders more heartbroken in the immediate aftermath (weeks) after the 03 ALCS, or SB 42? I have a feeling the answer may be the 03 ALCS to most. They had the 85 year curse. But they were up 5-2 with five outs to go to beat the hated Yankees. Generational pitcher on the mound. And then....

2007 sucked. But they had won three SB's in the last seven seasons. They didn't necessarily choke the game away (Tyree catch was a miracle play. Samuel pick was no gimme either).I thing that game stings more because they were 16-0. They were expected to destroy the Giants. I think if they were say 14-4 heading into the SB, the loss wouldn't of hurt as much.

No disrespect to the Patriots. But I think the Red Sox are more of an institution in the region than the Pats are. But maybe Boston is changing and it's turning into a football town. I am just guessing though.

It's definitely the Patriots 1 and Sox 2 nowadays but it's a strong 2.

I agree that if the Pats weren't going for the perfect season it would have bothered me much less and the 2003 ALCS would have been the clear answer.

It's definitely the Patriots 1 and Sox 2 nowadays but it's a strong 2.

I agree that if the Pats weren't going for the perfect season it would have bothered me much less and the 2003 ALCS would have been the clear answer.
LOL, those are the two sporting events in my life after which I wept openly. It seems so ridiculous now.

LOL, those are the two sporting events in my life after which I wept openly. It seems so ridiculous now.

Same here except the crying. Ok maybe my eyes got a little watery or something but it definitely wasn't crying.

But 4 WS later, of which my Grandmother (born in 1918) got to see two of them , and a couple more SB championships and all is well.

The losses bother me and the wins are a relief.
The feeling lasts a week or so.
It’s harder for us living outside the market.
No one there to celebrate with as much or really to console us.
Yeah, those Pittsburghers are sympathetic I’m sure.

It'd bum me out on my 60th birthday...and make two weeks from tomorrow a lot less fun.

That's about it, then we're onto FA and the draft!

Regular season loss stings for a day or two max depending on what happened (ex. 2015 loss to Brock sucked, a lot, and so does the Miami Miracle).

Playoff loss stings for a week because it's the end of the season and I won't be able to see the Patriots for a few long months.

Overall though it ain't too bad, since ultimately it's just something I am very interested in but has no actual effects on my personal life.

'07 was the most painful loss of my sports fanhood. That night I recall curling up in the fetal position and asking my wife to hold me!

'14 was absolutely ecstatic (further intensified because I was at the SB). After that, the losses haven't hurt badly because I have the "gravy" mentality. My friends (none are Pats fans) all groan if I mention anything negative about the Pats, because they know our fanbase is so spoiled.

Yeah, those Pittsburghers are sympathetic I’m sure.

Luckily, I have Brownies and Bengal fans around me in Columbus.
While there are many Steelers fans here, it’s nothing like “back home” in Pittsburgh.

SB 42 I don't think I talked to anyone for a week in college..I really didn;t sleep for about 2 nights...worst

If they lose tomorrow I will prob have the "what ifs" on certain plays that will keep my up a few extra hours and since Monday will be 9 deg out...it will just be a really ****ty Monday.

A win? Oh boyyyy..I deff won't be able to sleep!

The lows of a loss are much lower than the highs of a win are high.

It makes me question if this is a healthy interest.

I wept openly after the 2004 World Series. And it was not ridiculous.

You “wept” tears of joy?
@PatsDeb was talking about the anguish of 18-1 and the heartbreak of Boone’s homer in 2003.
2004 was like the birth of a first child.

The lows of a loss are much lower than the highs of a win are high.

It makes me question if this is a healthy interest.
Exactly! We as fans sometimes seem to take it harder than the players.

You “wept” tears of joy?
@PatsDeb was talking about the anguish of 18-1 and the heartbreak of Boone’s homer in 2003.
2004 was like the birth of a first child.
I wept tears of joy. 2003 pissed me off. My Giants-loving family was in the house for 42. I told them to get the hell out.
And I was so stunned when Adam’s kick went through, I don’t remember much after that.

Simmons wrote about someone he found laying in the street after SB36 in New Orleans. He went over to the guy to ask him if he was alright. The guy rolled over, tears streaming down his face and kept saying “The Patriots won the Super Bowl”- over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back