PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we slow down the Giants WR's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of pressuring the quarterback, the NYG have 9 sacks through three playoff games; The Patriots have EIGHT sacks through two playoff games...The NYG should be concerned about the Patriots' pass rush....If if if if if if Wilfork can duplicate, or even improve if possible, on his performance from Sunday, it will go a long way toward winning the game for the Patriots....

I was referring to the last game he played against us. Now go ahead and remind me that he didn't have Nicks like I don't know that.

I mean holy crap this 9-7 juggernaut is the 85 Bears on defense and the 07 Pats on offense by the way some of you are talking.

I can guarantee you that Belichick & Brady aren't snarkly disregarding this 9-7 team - that is now 12-7 in case you didn't get the memo (having beaten the top 2 teams in the NFL by many people's estimation).

It's simply amazing how every opponent magically becomes the worst possible matchup.

49ers would have been a better match by far. Brady and the pats offense can score against almost any D. The defense is still a question mark. I would rather have faced Smith who throws the ball in the dirt 15 times a game rather than face an great QB like manning and his core or receivers.

Part of the reason why this is a horrible match up for the pats. I don't think they can stop the receivers. If the pats want to win they have to hope Brady has great game and put up big numbers.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that Belichick & Brady aren't snarkly disregarding this 9-7 team - that is now 12-7 in case you didn't get the memo (having beaten the top 2 teams in the NFL by many people's estimation).

Neither am I, it will be a tough game but I'm not shaking in my boots about it either. We lost to this team literally by 4 points at the end of the game and I see people here saying we're going to get blown out. They beat those 2 teams in large part due to what those teams did not do well, not what the Giants did well.

Huge Giants fan here and I think u are all missing the obvious.. You guys need to be able to tackle. I don't expect many of u to have watched Giants games throughout the year but a majority of these Giants wr td and long reception has come off poor tackling.

The 49ers are excellent tacklers. There wasn't a whole lot of running after the catch. There was one match up which I think Eli didn't pay much attention to was whoever covered Manningham. The dude was wide open.. A lot!

He could be a huge factor in this game. He is the Giants deep threat.

Throw out regular season stuff.. This is not the same Giants team..

I am so looking forward to this game..

Huge Giants fan here and I think u are all missing the obvious.. You guys need to be able to tackle. I don't expect many of u to have watched Giants games throughout the year but a majority of these Giants wr td and long reception has come off poor tackling.

The 49ers are excellent tacklers. There wasn't a whole lot of running after the catch. There was one match up which I think Eli didn't pay much attention to was whoever covered Manningham. The dude was wide open.. A lot!

He could be a huge factor in this game. He is the Giants deep threat.

Throw out regular season stuff.. This is not the same Giants team..

I am so looking forward to this game..

Neither is this the same Patriots team or Defense. Six and half dozen the other.

The Patriots match up great against the Giants' defense. Good OL, great middle of the field weapons, quick guys suited for quick hitters and screens and an experienced, accurate QB.

The Giants linebackers are not very good, the Patriots will have a lot of favorable matchups in the middle.

Also, the Giants have an aggressive DL which favors the Pats' type of running game, inside/outside zone and draws.

The Patriots put up 438 yards of offense against the Giants when they met in the regular season... The three leading receivers were Welker, Gronk and Hernandez and the longest completion was a mere 28 yards to Welker.

The Patriots also averaged almost 4.5 yards per carry for 106 yards.

They won't be able to isolate their LB on Gronkowski, Hernandez or Welker, or even backs out of the backfield. This means the Giants will need help from their pretty good - not great - secondary. This will stretch the field.

Same thing will likely happen in the Superbowl, but you never know. But to say the Patriots don't match up well against the Giants defense is just not correct. The Pats are actually very well suited to face a team like the Giants whose DL is geared towards rushing the passer and whose linebackers are big, slow and not that good against the run or in coverage. The Pats should prey on those weaknesses all game long. Key word is SHOULD.

VERY well said.
I've said this too many times already but again I have no idea where this 'Giants have become a scary defense and a matchup nightmare'. Given the same performance our OL has been giving most of the past X amount of weeks, the Patriot no huddle should move very efficiently and very well against the Giants. And I expect better results in the red zone than against the actually scary defense of the Ravens. To win this game we must have that from the offense.

You do know he was playing the best d..or the 2nd best d in the league right?

I swear some people don't even watch the games

Watch the games?

Better yet, get a clue.

New Orleans put up 30+ points and 500 yards of offense on them. That's with two special teams turnovers.

"best" defense wasn't very "elite" against an elite offense.

The idiot things some want to delude themselves with is amzing.

VERY well said.
I've said this too many times already but again I have no idea where this 'Giants have become a scary defense and a matchup nightmare'. Given the same performance our OL has been giving most of the past X amount of weeks, the Patriot no huddle should move very efficiently and very well against the Giants. And I expect better results in the red zone than against the actually scary defense of the Ravens. To win this game we must have that from the offense.

"...Yes, but is he lucky?"....

-Napolean Bonaparte

I'm scaried because there is seemingly no explanation for what's happening in these wins.

How do the Packers produce so many unforced blunders?

Watch the games?

Better yet, get a clue.

New Orleans put up 30+ points and 500 yards of offense on them. That's with two special teams turnovers.

"best" defense wasn't very "elite" against an elite offense.

The idiot things some want to delude themselves with is amzing.

Were talking about the giants. Quit trying to find something to argue about as usual. But that really is the only thing you are good for around here

TheGiants have a 2.5 WR Offense. Manningham is the just a good third WR. This edition of the Giants can't run effectively; and Jacobs can't catch. We have faced better passing games.

Their over praised Pass Rushers are collectively quite small and light. If the Giants beef up to stop the run, then they can't pass rush. You can smash them with a good running game. But you have to do it with together with a passing game.

The Pack couldn't run, and couldn't block the opponents pass rush all year. The Giants were lucky as the Pack beat themselves, more than the Giants beat them. The 49ers can run; but they are hopeless in the passing game. Alex Smith returned to sub-mediocrity after a single career game against the Saints.

The most stunning stats over the Giants hot five games is this.

Giants had 30 sacks, 28 TFLs, and 31 QB hits.

BUT the Pats, despite losing Andre Carter before the last five games, did this over the past 5 games too:

29 sacks, 29 TFLs, and 31 QB hits. In reality, the Pats pass rushers EQUALLED the supposedly mighty Giants pass rush. We are much better with the rest of the Defense, can stop the run, and are not remotely comparable on Offense. For example the Pats Offesne had 14 fewer TFLs, and more than a dozen fewer QB hits on Brady.

I will simply predict the average scores for and agsaisnt the Pats, as the final score for this Superbowl. So it will be an average game and average smashing, lop-sided, victory.

35-18 Pats.

If you keep up with these replies, you are going to go from designer to stock real quick.

Try to follow.

San Fransisco has a very fine defense. However, are they some super natural, other worldly, uber defense?

No

How do I know that?

Well, the week before, one of the three elite league offenses went into their house and put up 30+ points and almost 500 yards of offense.

If a known elite offense produces those numbers and another offense gets shut down; Uber defense isn't the reason. If it was, New Orleans would have also been shutdown.

I don't know man. I'm calling it like I see it, and I have a hard time believing that you can honestly feel as though this yr's 49'er defense wasn't one of the top 1-2 in the entire league.

When you allow 14 pts per game average, and are either #1 or #2 in most categories, you have a pretty elite defense.

Your argument that they allowed the N.O. Saints 435 yds in the passing game while holding them to 37 in the rushing game (close, but not quite the "500" that you claim) seems odd....after all, they WON the game.

Even the 1985 Bears (probably the greatest defense of all time) allowed 450 yds in a game the year they went 18-1. Does that somehow not make them an "uber defense" now?

One game (with a WIN) when you hold the Saints to 37 yds rushing, but allow Brees 400+ yds passing doesn't seem that odd to me, and it certainly doesn't seem as though anyone but you would take away their reputation of having one of the top 2 defenses this yr.

After all, they did come up with a season high 5 turnovers, and they did hold a good rusher in Sproles to 37 yds rushing.

Of course, the week later they put up 7 sacks on Manning with over 20+ QB pressures. They probably would have won the damn game, had they not given them those 2 turnovers on the muffed punts. I also think the SF offense could've done more than the "play to not lose" approach, after all it wouldn't have hurt to take a chance or two at some point.

Everyone but you seems to think that they were an "uber defense" as you say. I suppose it's a matter of a difference of opinions, and that's certainly something that you have a lot of with about 99% of this forum. Like I said before, to each his own; but I find it strange that you wouldn't think that the insane level of talent on the SF defense had a lot to do with their success.

Last edited:
Been amazing to see people pissing themselves over Manningham...really? He's a decent 3rd, no reason he should kill us.

Been amazing to see people pissing themselves over Manningham...really? He's a decent 3rd, no reason he should kill us.

I agree. I see no reason to worry needlessly over Manningham.

Manningham does have the potential to do damage at the same time though. I believe that his stats were down a bit due to his injury this yr.

I think you have to double Cruz, and put Nicks on Arrington maybe? That's probably an effective enough strategy in my opinion.

I guess it obviously depends on what types of schemes they use.

Ballard will be important to keep an eye on too, but I think that a BB coached team will take advantage of playing them a 2nd time this yr.

I'm just really hoping BB the defensive genius really shows with a new scheme we havent seen. We've got to change it up. But if we cant get a pass rush, we're ****ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just really hoping BB the defensive genius really shows with a new scheme we havent seen. We've got to change it up. But if we cant get a pass rush, we're ****ed.

I certainly agree with you, but I think that it's more about the coverage than it is the pressure (obviously realizing that the 2 go hand-in-hand to some degree).

To me, it's kind of like when you play the IND Colts, you almost realize that getting a lot of pressure and sacks on Peyton will be difficult, due to his quick release. While we've been able to force him into some feet shifting, and some pressure (although not many sacks at all), we've played more of a 'better coverage' approach in the past couple meetings.

I think we'll be able to force Eli to have to move around, and I certainly think they can force some sacks too, due to their offensive line being poor; but I think that the coverage will be a little more of an important factor than the pressure will be.

That said, like I mentioned--the 2 go hand in hand, so it's almost like saying one is just as important as the other.

IMO, getting QB "pressures" will be key, but I'm not expecting more than a couple of sacks. Anything more will be a bonus. And the secondary had better be up to the task too, b/c that will be one of the most important factors of the game.

I certainly agree with you, but I think that it's more about the coverage than it is the pressure (obviously realizing that the 2 go hand-in-hand to some degree).

To me, it's kind of like when you play the IND Colts, you almost realize that getting a lot of pressure and sacks on Peyton will be difficult, due to his quick release. While we've been able to force him into some feet shifting, and some pressure (although not many sacks at all), we've played more of a 'better coverage' approach in the past couple meetings.

I think we'll be able to force Eli to have to move around, and I certainly think they can force some sacks too, due to their offensive line being poor; but I think that the coverage will be a little more of an important factor than the pressure will be.

That said, like I mentioned--the 2 go hand in hand, so it's almost like saying one is just as important as the other.

IMO, getting QB "pressures" will be key, but I'm not expecting more than a couple of sacks. Anything more will be a bonus. And the secondary had better be up to the task too, b/c that will be one of the most important factors of the game.

I'm going to see horrible flash backs every time that scrawny ***** gets pressured. Maybe we can actually bring him down this time. If he gets touched he better being going down, he's never been in a weight room in his life.

Letting Flacco run for 10-15 yards really irked me. Eli likes to step up in the pocket, cant let him ******* run it like Flacco did.

I'm going to see horrible flash backs every time that scrawny ***** gets pressured. Maybe we can actually bring him down this time. If he gets touched he better being going down, he's never been in a weight room in his life.

Letting Flacco run for 10-15 yards really irked me. Eli likes to step up in the pocket, cant let him ******* run it like Flacco did.

Exactly.

I think one of the main keys is getting some good push up the middle, and the Pats have been doing that lately. Our interior pass rush + tying up 2 guys a la Wilfork has been great lately. That's a big difference from the first game.

If they can stop him from moving around and shifting a bit to buy more time in the pocket, they can rattle him with some effiency.

A couple/few key sacks and some good harrassment will go a long, long way.

Of course, like I said--the secondary needs to continue to hold their own too, and hopefully all 3 levels of the defense work well together to execute what should be a good gameplan by Belichick.

Three words. Guts. Guile. Moxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore